Favourite Dog Breed

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

Re: Favourite Dog Breed

Post by MPbandmom »

I like the northern/spitz breeds, the huskies and Norwegian breeds I think I might like to have a Norwegian buhund, which is what we originally though Sirius might be. They do have a reputation for being vocal, which Sirius generally isn't, so I might have to check further into that. They are also reportedly a high energy herding breed, and Sirius doesn't have anywhere near the energy level that Sky has.

Currently my thoughts are that if I were to get another dog after these two, I would first look at the prison dogs. I think I could do much better at keeping up on a dog's training background, than starting from scratch. (as could be evidenced by the two I currently have) So in that case, I would have to make my decision based on what was available. In some way's I like Sky's size and in other ways I like Sirius' size. Of course, they are only a few inches and pounds apart. I think I would probably lean towards the 30ish pound range though. I'm also thinking only one dog next time.

I am confused as to why someone wouldn't want a curley tailed dog. I don't find their back ends offensive at all. But then I grew up with cats that usually have their tails up in the air too, so maybe that view of the back end just seems normal to me. :lol:

I can't do slobber or smushed faces, or folds of skin that need daily cleaning. I also couldn't do bouncing off the wall high energy.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
wickedhippy

Post by wickedhippy »

I'm in the crowd of "I have no favorite"...

I've worked in shelters for many years, and have befriended (and fostered) many different breeds... as well as mixes.

I've owned, or have lived with, bulldogs, pitties, a GSD, a rottie, several types of terriers, a french bulldog, a collie, numerous small breeds (poms, Maltese, etc...), and just about everything in between... and I've loved each and every one of them.

Right now I have my very first pure bred Chihuahua - and so that's my favorite breed at the moment, lol.

But I wouldn't turn away from any other breed. :D
"If nothing ever changed, there would be no butterflies" ~ Anonymous
Creator of the We Love Victoria Stilwell Fan Site http://victoriastilwellfans.webs.com/
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Erica wrote:Chihuahuas, Papillons, and Pomeranians are dogs I'd look into if I were physically unable to handle a larger dog, and possibly even beforehand. I've recently lost a lot of my prejudice against little dogs. :P
Little dogs are great Erica, they're no less dog than the big ones other than their size :wink:

Well I love long haired chis, obviously :D :lol:

I can't even begin to think of what I would have after Ted and as long as I have him if I was to get another dog it would need to be tiny too, I wouldn't want him to get hurt and whilst having large and small might be ok and work out I would never take the risk.

Dogs I love but would never own are springers and collies. I love their energy when out on walks but I know I would be exasperated by them the rest of the time :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
bendog

Post by bendog »

I think I will probably always have at least one terrier - just to keep me on my toes. But terriers are all I know and I would like to have the experience of owning a bigger dog or two some time in my life. Just for the change.

I've met some lovely spaniels but not really a fan.
Slobber I can do - I love newfoundlands, Labradors have grown on me lately. But dislike most toy breeds, squash face breeds, and couldn't own a dog that needed a lot of grooming even though many are beautiful.

My "one that got away" Dog was a gorgeous rottie black lab cross - size and shape was Rottweiler but jet black all over and very lab in personality.

I do love ted and long haired chis in general but too delicate for me - I need dogs that can take a bit of rough and tumble.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Hearing about Ted and his adventures was probably the biggest factor in convincing me that little dogs are just the same as big dogs. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

I think my favorite breed is pretty obvious. Pugs are just such a big part of my entire family. We used to always have so many pugs running around our various properties in the phililpines. I just visited my aunts house, and her pug figurine collection has grown so much. (and im secretly jealous of

I think terriers are so amazing, but they're probably not the best fit for my family. I really love how intense border collies are. When Im older, id love to rescue one and do agility or disc work. I think bully breeds are just so amazing, and id like to rescue at least two in my lifetime. I can deal with cleaning folds of skin and the curly tail, but im not sure I could wipe my dog's mouth multiple times a day. Ive always wanted a giant dog because they are just so majestic yet can be hilariously clumbsy.

Ive recently become partial to older dogs. I love an old soul of any breed.
--dontpugme
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I'm a bit late to the party but....

I love terriers, especially JRT's. I love the speed, fiestyness and sheer comedy of them. I always said that I wouldn't live with one though as they are a pain in the behind. Then Honey came along :oops:. For me the busyness is something I really enjoy. When I was taking Honey from rescue I was told that she was very busy and would need lots of work (I had seen this for myself but she had lot's of qualites I was looking for one being that she's not a barker and she was happy to be on her own) - this has turned out to be so true but she's also very very affectionate for a Jacker which I love and she seems to have a natural gentleness that you don't always get in a terrier.

However my secrect would really like to own one one day breed is the Golden Retreiver. It's not the looks it's that they just seem so freakin' happy to be alive and the ones I've meet are all in all very sweet. They're also quite trainable which appeals to me.

I've worked with a mix (Akita maybe Shepard/Lab) with this personality, huge completely black female who was so funny and sweet. I think that any dog like this would suit me but if I was going to raise one from a pup I'd have to go with a Golden in the hope that they would grow up with that personality I associate them with.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
gwd

Post by gwd »

JudyN wrote:I couldn't manage a dog that was on the go all the time, like a springer,
i live with two, and yes, they are very high energy dogs. .........actually these are my first two springers. for many years i had english setters. i loved my setters but i just wanted to have something a little different. i'm enjoying my springers immensely but they sure are not the dog for everyone. the things that i consider attributes are the very qualities that would drive many owners batty.

i've never had a dog that wasn't in the sporting group. growing up we had a german shorthair followed by a britt. when i was on my own, thus began my procession of english setters. ......

while i've always had sporting dogs, i will admit to being a bit 'hound-curious' ........at the shows i've long admired the irish wolfhounds. what had kept me from considering one is the short lifespan. i just can't wrap my head around the notion of maybe only having a dog for 6-8 years.

i've also considered a flattie........but the cancer issues scare the hell outta me.