Heart Murmur

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BienChien

Heart Murmur

Post by BienChien »

My apologies if I have put this post in the wrong area.

I have at least been blessed with a beautiful black bundle of puppy in the shape of a flat coated retriever. He is absolutely gorgeous and very proud of his sharp teeth!!

However, I took him for his first jabs this week and was told that he had a grade 1 heart murmur. I haven't been able to find any other posts relating to heart murmurs and wonder if anybody has any wise words to offer me. (Also tips for stopping my nipper nipping.)

Many thanks
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Heart murmurs in puppies sometimes resolve themselves, and a grade 1 is no big deal. However I think you would do well to go back to his breeder and discuss, because I don't know anything about heart murmurs in flatcoats - they may be common in which case unlikely to resolve, or they may be rare, but either way the breeder needs to know.

Keep off medication until you have more information - I have had dogs with heart murmurs that never did go onto medication and led long active lives, but you have to keep them lean and fit. Obviously a little pup should not be either, but it's worth bearing in mind for the future.

All the best with him.
BienChien

Post by BienChien »

Thank you Nettle. I have had a chat with the breeder who was very positive. I will keep my fingers crossed and hope that his murmur corrects itself.
CockerCharlie

Post by CockerCharlie »

Our Belle has a grade 1 heart murmur too, our vet said that it is sometimes brought on by stress, so the stress of taking her to the vet could have brought it on. Dont worry about it at all. Belle who is 9mths old pants alot more than other pups too and this is coz of the murmur so if u see that happening dont worry.
Maggie

Post by Maggie »

My last pup had a heart murmer, and he was about a 3/4 and he did fine.

A friend of mine has a dog with a 5/6 and hers is fine.

The best thing to do is regular excersize to build up the heart.
So make sure he does plenty of excersize, but build him up slowly.

Hope this helps
BienChien

Post by BienChien »

Thank you all for your positive feedback. I will see the vet again in a couple of weeks and will let you know the outcome.