Weirdest dog-eating monsters?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Weirdest dog-eating monsters?

Post by Erica »

Had a situation with Marble today that made me wonder...what's the weirdest thing your dog's taken exception to?

Marble's was a pair of shoes outside the door. Mom came back from the garden and took her shoes off a few feet away from the door, because they were muddy. A few minutes later, Marble started growling at something outside, and got all hyena-backed (she gets a three-inch strip of fur puffing up all along her back, and even the bottom third of her tail!). Opal growled too, but more of a "you're growling at something and I'm backing you up, but I don't see it..." growl. I thought there were deer in the forest or something, but after checking multiple times (Marble was focused and growling non-stop for about five minutes) I finally figured out it was the stupid shoes! So I brought them inside for her to sniff, then put them back outside (on the other side of a big flower pot, so she couldn't see them). Strange thing to start growling at, as far as I can tell!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Re: Weirdest dog-eating monsters?

Post by minkee »

We had a funny one just today! OH had done the litter tray, then dumped the rather large bag. Said bag of litter just happened to have a cat printed on its side, and its head was just poking out over one of the cat's scratching toys, so when Scout came in from her walk and went to the water bowl she was confronted with a Ferocious Monster that freaked her right out. It took me a little while to work out what it was! She was fine after I showed her it was just a bag, and not a real cat-monster :D
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Some time ago, when we just started venturing into the neighborhood streets, we came across a house with a large tire suspended from a tree, on a rope, apparently for kids to swing on it.

There were no kids that evening, but the clouds moved in, it was suddenly getting dark.. the wind picked up, and (the plot thickens!) - the tire was SLOWLY ROTATING BY ITSELF!!

GRRRRRRRRRR!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
:)
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

the tire never had a chance did it? :twisted:
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I remember one night the bulb went in a lamp in the front room so my dad got up to change it. He took the bulb out but left the lamp in his usual spot on the sofa. Shadow was asleep on his chair at the time but the sound of the front room door closing behind my dad must have woken him up. Anyway, he went absolutely mental at the lamp sitting on the sofa where my dad should have been. Wasn't till my dad came back in that he settled down.

Rupert saw everything as a dog eating monster. I think the funniest was the kitchen floor when my parents put new lino down. Would he step on it? Would he hell!

Spencers was a babys hat stuck on top of a stick shoved into the ground.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Maybe I'm just lucky - we don't seem to have many dog eating monsters where we live ;)

There were once some wooden boards in the middle of the rugby field pop wasn't sure about. But I walked up to them and then she was fine and climbed on them and everything, same with traffic cones - first sight, not sure, I touch them, they must be ok.

Reflections can set poppy off though - seeing herself in a mirror.

Sasha is too tough to be scared of anything and Ben is scared of lots of things but tries his hardest not to show it.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

In my neighborhood, there are always new things to see (like: bikes left in yards, a for sale sign flapping in the wind, and once a beach towel draped over a mailbox), and Piper takes it all in stride. But the day we saw a large brown paper bag filled with lawn clippings and placed at the curb to be picked up by the trash collector, Piper saw it as a large, menacing Corgi eating monster. She just flipped. So I got her a nice distance away, let her look and after a few minutes she decided this thing just might be worth exploring. So I let her go at her pace as she slunk over to it, gave a it a cautious, but thorough sniff, and then suddenly decided it was nothing afterall. She relaxed and we moved on. On the way back she barely gave it a second look even though we passed right beside it. :lol:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Oh, the tank sitting by the gate where my husband works was a Spencer eating monster at first. It took about 15 minutes with the clicker to get him to walk past it. He doesn't bother now though.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I had to cross the road to get Jasper past a shiny helium balloon a while back.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

One more! A giant inflatable Santa Clause that someone inflated in the front yard around Christmas :lol: :lol:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oh, I remember one of Zeus's...it's a yellow "Please drive slow...Children at play!" sign, solid plastic so it doesn't flap in the wind, but he walks past it almost every day of his life, since it's only about 20 feet from his house. One day, though, a couple months back, he started growling really loud and low at it, which for a dog his size is REALLY LOUD and REALLY SCARY. I took a wild guess and approached the sign (unclipped his head halter so I had an 8 foot leash, which was juuuust enough for me to touch the thing with him being comfortably far away, in his opinion). He slowly approached it, still growling, then sniffed it, peed on it, and was fine with it. :U
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

I think this is the funniest one I've seen Honey have - A cartoon easter bunny face drawn on a free standing chalk board outside a pub. I can only imagine how scary those huge eyes and giant mouth looked to her poor girl.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Erica

Post by Erica »

The way people draw those scares ME sometimes! ;) Something disturbing about the eyes...

Poor Honey. :lol:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Ari_RR wrote:There were no kids that evening, but the clouds moved in, it was suddenly getting dark.. the wind picked up, and (the plot thickens!) - the tire was SLOWLY ROTATING BY ITSELF!!
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa *runs off screaming* :shock: :lol:

Ted's tend to be easily fixed by me going to touch whatever it is or just waiting whilst he has a growl so said object knows he's not to be messed with, then goes for a sniff and realises it's actually boring. Last time was a plastic sack stuck to my parent's gazebo (sounds posh, it's not :lol: ) in the garden. It was told in no uncertain terms to get off his patch until I walked up to it and touched it :wink: :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

What is it about rocks that some dogs like to bring home? Karma will see a rock she likes, pick it up, and carry it all the way home! :roll: Afterwards, she will play with it, like trying to roll it like a ball. You should see the expression on her face when she does this! :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown