Puppy Teeth Falling Out?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Bingles

Puppy Teeth Falling Out?

Post by Bingles »

Hiya, just over the last few days I have noticed that the frount 2 teeth of Bingles have fallen out like a childs would. Just wondering is this normal? I was asking round at work and got a mixed reaction some people said yes others said no. Should I be worried?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes they lose their milk-teeth just like we do (and all other mammals) but it seems to give them less grief than it does us :D

Give lots of safe things to chew on because they really reall need to chew at this time.
spanielsrule

Post by spanielsrule »

Assuming Bingles is a puppy, who is growing up - yes, completely normal. Dogs get a second set of teeth, just like we do. The adult ones are much bigger and less sharp and pointy! I've only very rarely found puppy teeth that have fallen out (I think they are often accidentally swallowed!), but I've kept some from mine!
"No matter how little money, and how few possessions you own, having a dog makes you rich." (Louis Sabin)
LBF
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

thanks a million spanielsrule and Nettle yes she has just gone 4 months will she loose them all at some point or do the ones at the back stay as they seem to be getting bigger and sharper :shock: by the day and I couldnt see them falling out.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

She should lose them all. Very occasionally baby teeth, usually canine teeth, are a bit slow to fall out and the adult tooth grows over the top. It usually sorts itself out but if not a quick tweak from a vet solves the problem.

The big back teeth you see are probably the pwrmanent ones. Still pointy but not so needly!
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

Thanks Nettle, I did notice her teeth seemed to be at her last week but didnt' think they were gonna fall out but its good to know its normal

your help is much appreciated
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

I remember seeing Flanders' gums bleed a bit as her adult teeth came in. I figured she was teething, but asked the vet just to be sure. He was surprised that I noticed it--most people don't. IIRC, I picked up one her baby molars off the floor.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!