Does anyone rent and have a dog?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

chickflick1066

Does anyone rent and have a dog?

Post by chickflick1066 »

Seem's like property which allows a dog is virtually impossible. I can never see me being able to afford to own and therefore my dream of owning a dog is never going to happen :( I'm a really sensible adult and I wouldn't let a dog destroy a property.

Is there hope for me out there? Is anyone fortunate enough to rent a place which allows dogs?
ladybug1802

Re: Does anyone rent and have a dog?

Post by ladybug1802 »

Hi! I think a lot of rental propertlies have a standard clause about pets in....but sometimes if you enquire further the landlord/lady is leniant and dogs then are allowed. So if you find somewhere you like might be worth enquiring?

As a side note...how did you et your little avatar pic oh? I havent been able to add one as it keeps saying its too big :o(
chickflick1066

Post by chickflick1066 »

Erm I think the original pic was too big so I just set the dimensions to the max the forum allows and it just self adjusts the pic...I think? Try it and tell me how you get on lol!
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

Hi im from West Yorks and used to work in an estate agents. The landlords tend to ask what sort of pet you have, large dogs tend to be a no-no but its worth asking and be open and honest with your landlord. It might be worth building up some time at the same property, regular prompt payment of rent (suck up basically) Private letting tends to be more relaxed. Good luck.
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Another tack you could try is to offer an extra-large deposit to cover any potential damage/wear and tear, and maybe to commit to paying for a full professional house-clean if and when you move out. Hopefully the landlord would see that you are being responsible and would rather have a responsible dog owner than an irresponsible non-dog owner.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jilldiane

Post by jilldiane »

My daughter rents and she has two large dogs, she doesn`t live in West Yorkshire though, I expect some areas are more difficult to find dog friendly rentals.

Certainly overing to pay a bigger deposit helps. One of our local estate agents states no dogs on all its rental properties, but actually some of the owners will allow dogs by negotiation, so definately worth asking.
Wes

Post by Wes »

When I had my pit bull terrier, I had to rent privately (thank god for Craigslist!), but I'm currently renting a rather nice apartment from an agency. I had to negotiate a bit for Sam my doberman, but the office girls love him now. His breed and him being intact were both points of contention and I'm paying double the standard "dog rent" for it. Definitely worth negotiating if you are able.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Echo the advice about rental adverts and contracts having 'no pets' in as standard - its ALWAYS worth asking if the landlord can be contacted and specially requesting if your dogs can be allowed - offering an extra deposit, or/and to write into the contract that you will have carpets professionally cleaned at the end of the tenancy is also a good move.

Do not just look at adverts and give up, or EVEN speak to lettings agents as most will say 'no, no pets' without actually contacting the property owner (something a friend of mine found, when she was struggling to get tenants into a property she owns, she found the agents were telling potential tenants 'strictly NO pets' and 'the owner hates dogs' etc when the exact opposite was true, she ADORES dogs and has always allowed tenants with pets, within reason!)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
chickflick1066

Post by chickflick1066 »

I'd be prepared to do all of the above...I'll keep searching. When I get a house to rent with a garden then I can rescue a pooch!
chay

Post by chay »

echo all of the above - i have rented with my dog(s) for almost 10 years now. a few additional things i did:

- apply for appropriate properties. i never bothered applying for 1x bedroom top floor apartment type places because (while i know dogs CAN live happily in these arrangements) i knew that the likelihood of an owner/agent being open to that idea would be smaller. so i focused on properties with a small courtyard or ground floor/townhouse type properties with easier access to the outside.

- write a cover letter and include a photo of yourself WITH your dog in your application. seriously, it sounds pretty lame but the difference in people's reactions they read "DOG" on paper (their brain reads: messy, destroyed carpet, dog smell!) and what they do when they SEE a visual picture of a polite looking young person(s) with a happy looking dog (their brain reads: unobtrusive, clean/well behaved looking, cute) is amazing.

- have someone write you a 'pet reference' to include in your application - before you've actually rented with your dog, this can be a neighbor who knew your family dog just saying how polite and well behaved your dog was, etc. once you have successful rental history behind you, always ask when leaving a property if the agent / owner will write one for you. all it has to say is that they confirm the dog lived there for (x amount of time) and that the property was left in acceptable condition on your leaving, then use that in your next application.

good luck! :)

**EDIT: aaaaaand i've just realised you haven't GOT your dog yet!! my apologies, all of the above advice is my power of positive thought for when you've already found your first place and rescued your first furry friend! :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

chickflick1066 wrote:I'd be prepared to do all of the above...I'll keep searching. When I get a house to rent with a garden then I can rescue a pooch!

No No No No No - NO!

Please - no. :(

Rescue dogs come with Issues. Some of these may be destructiveness and lack of housetraining. Barking for hours or can't be left. Anything you can think of and some things you can't think of until they do it.

You represent all dog owners when you take on a rented property. If the landlord/lady takes a chance and rents to you with 'a dog' and that dog damages the property and annoys the neighbours, they will never ever rent out to anyone with a dog again. You will have directly been responsible for losing that landlord/lady's trust, and they may well rent out other properties.

Renting a property with a dog you have had for years that you know behaves is quite different from taking on an unknown quantity - and all rescue dogs have issues, believe me. Wait to do the rescue dog thing until you have your own property. Please. For all our sakes, and the dogs' sakes too.

people don't refuse to rent out to pet owners because they are awkward or unkind - it's because they have had bad experiences.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Erica

Post by Erica »

Rescuing an unknown dog would be a bad idea with a property you don't own...a next-best thing would be to find a good rescue that has people foster dogs in their homes, and adopt one of their adoptable dogs. You're helping the rescue, because they can now use their resources for another dog that might have problems, but you will know if the dog has problems, what they are, and if you can deal with them. However, you would have to make sure the rescue is telling the truth - some stretch the truth or outright lie to get dogs adopted.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
kawaiidesu343

Post by kawaiidesu343 »

I rent an apartment in a complex and I have a dog. I had to pay a $300 pet deposit and $15 a month in pet rent. My roommate, who randomly left without notice, actually brought the dog home. A young, energetic lab is not what I would have chosen for a two bedroom apartment. We make it work, and I am looking into getting a small house when my lease expires.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

chickflick1066 wrote:Seem's like property which allows a dog is virtually impossible. I can never see me being able to afford to own and therefore my dream of owning a dog is never going to happen :( I'm a really sensible adult and I wouldn't let a dog destroy a property.

Is there hope for me out there? Is anyone fortunate enough to rent a place which allows dogs?
Depending on where you live, many rescues will not adopt out to people who rent due to problems with people abandoning the animals. Also, there are liability issues with the landlords. Many landlords won't allow certain animals.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

you might also try building a reputation with your landload first before asking. let them get to know you a bit. pay on time, keep the place up etc.