Smelling Your Dog's Paw

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

Smelling Your Dog's Paw

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Before you think I'm crazy or have developed an unusual habit, let me say I have not. I was reading some posts on another forum in which a member wrote about doing this for some reason I can't remember, but that member got some unusual answers to their post. For me, this doesn't seem normal nor would I believe it's sanitary, but it made me wonder about the unusual smells these members were reporting, I thought was unusual. :?

I know that when I'm inspecting my dog's feet, paws, and so on, and I see something unusual, I may get close enough to smell it to see if it is an infection or not. Earlier today, while inspecting Karma's feet, she took her one paw and pushed it into my nose. :shock: Needless to say, I got a sniff of it and it smells like almonds. Huh? :?

Now, I'm not suggested sniffing your dog's paws as some sort of fetish, or a new twist to "scratch and sniff" like some card games, nor would I suggest or advise sniffing your dog's paws, because you don't know "where or what those paws stepped in," but I want to ask all of you, have you smelled your dog's paws? If so, what did you smell?
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Ari_RR

Re: Smelling Your Dog's Paw

Post by Ari_RR »

Well.. This sounds a bit weird, I must say :lol: but I am intrigued now... So I will try tonight and see if I can smell anything at all.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I haven't been close enough to them recently, so the smell might have changed with the switch to raw food, but my dog's paws used to smell like corn chips. You know Fritos, or Tostitos, that kind of thing.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Salt, sand, and sweat. (I can smell it when I'm grooming their paws, or if they reach up to touch my face.)
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

*be good, be good, this was a serious post..be good, be good...... :twisted: *
chay

Post by chay »

gypsy's paws smell like warm puppies

gremlin's paws used to smell like sunshine on grass

just to up the weirdness level, both smells are actually incredibly comforting to me. kind of like wearing a partner's t-shirt or something? comfort/closeness/warmth. think of that what you will :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Peanut butter! When Jasper was a pup I spent quite a lot of time sniffing his paws :D

It may be a lurcher thing - someone posted about sniffing their lurcher's paws on a lurcher forum a while back and almost everyone confessed to regularly sniffing their dogs' paws. Make of that what you will....
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jilldiane

Post by jilldiane »

JudyN wrote:Peanut butter! When Jasper was a pup I spent quite a lot of time sniffing his paws :D

It may be a lurcher thing - someone posted about sniffing their lurcher's paws on a lurcher forum a while back and almost everyone confessed to regularly sniffing their dogs' paws. Make of that what you will....
ahhh I think thats because almost every lurcher owner I know has woken up at some stage with a paw shoved in their face :D

Just one of the many joys of being owned by a lurcher :D
bendog

Post by bendog »

Can't say I've sniffed their paws, but I love the smell of the top of Bendogs head. It smells so warm and comforting :D

Will have to have a sniff of their paws when I get home! Though I suspect they mostly smell of mud! :lol:
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

bendog wrote:I love the smell of the top of Bendogs head. It smells so warm and comforting :D
I love smelling the top of peppers head, we often have a snuggle and i love how she smells, it really is comforting.

Just had a sniff of her paws and they smell like nuts!
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

yea, I think I'll pass on smelling Piper's paws . . . :lol: But, I do love how, at almost a year old, she still has that sweet puppy smell about her. Maybe it's because I feed a raw diet (I think I remember Nettle making a comment about how raw fed dogs smell sweet), but whatever the reason, she sure is nice to cuddle up with. :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Tonight, Karma has all kinds of smells on her. On the top of her head, it smells like pancakes; her one paw smells like peanut butter; the other paw, like beer (not the cheap stuff either and I'm wondering where she stepped into beer); the one back paw, like mud; the other back paw, like grass. 8) How I know this, well, while I was taking a nap, she jumps up onto the bed to take a nap also. While she sleeps, she moves in different positions, which includes sticking her feet in the air in all directions, including my face. :roll: Nothing like getting "pawed" by your dog! :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

I can't say I smell my dog's feet, because I know pretty much where she walks, and believe me, with us being around horses, I don't even want to smell her feet! :lol: But, I have sniffed the top of Sheba's head and it smells like the smells one would smell on a sunny, spring morning. 8)
bendog

Post by bendog »

Just sniffed and I only smell mud and grass on Ben and pops paws
minkee

Post by minkee »

This weekend Scout flopped her paw on my nose as we were snoozing our Sunday Dinners away. My first thought was "Popcorn" and my second was "I must tell positively forum about this!"