Worming Tip

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Greyluvver

Worming Tip

Post by Greyluvver »

I was given this tip today when I was in the Co op looking for tasty things in which to hide worming tablets (bliddy whippet!). The girl on the checkout said that when she wormed her cat she would melt cat chocolate drops, coat the tablets in the goo, then let them cool and offer the cat a "treat". She said it never failed. I was out of choc drops, so didn't get a chance to try it out, but next time.... Watch out, Whippy, I'll fool you yet :lol:
Erica

Re: Worming Tip

Post by Erica »

I would avoid chocolate, as it's not at all good for dogs. They do make pill pouches, which are very soft, moldable treats with a hole in them for pills. They were very useful when we had to give our cat pills, and worked well for the dogs also. :) Here's the site of the makers.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I just hid Jacks pills in a nice chunk of plain cooked chicken. works great.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I use pate or cream cheese.

The trick is to get three pieces. The pill is in the middle piece.

Feed the first piece while holding up the second piece, so the dog gets really focused on there being another piece.

Feed the second piece while holding up the third, so the dog eats the second piece while focused on the third..... :wink:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Nettle wrote:I use pate or cream cheese.

Feed the first piece while holding up the second piece, so the dog gets really focused on there being another piece.

Feed the second piece while holding up the third, so the dog eats the second piece while focused on the third..... :wink:
This is what I do too and it works really well they hardly notice what they are eating because they are just thinking about getting the next piece:D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Ahh Nettle, I was going to offer up the same advice on the three treat trick to getting meds down. :lol: Works every time for me with my dogs and my cats. :wink:

Also, I'm not certain about this, but I do believe Greyluvver was talking about that fake, dog safe "chocolate", not the real stuff. I don't use that myself, but I have heard of it.
Last edited by Suzette on Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Dominika

Post by Dominika »

Nettle wrote:I use pate or cream cheese.

That's kind of what I do too. With smaller pills it's easier, I just slide it down the side of the mouth and give something yummy straight away after.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I do exactly what Nettle says. Rupert used to come running if he heard me rattle a bottle of pills :lol: He knew damn well the pill was in there but as long as it was wrapped in a little ham and small enough for him to swallow whole he was fine with it. Spen took his worming tablets fine that way too although I cut bratwurst into chunks, scraped a little of the meat out and shoved the tablet in.

Wolf I just used to toss them to, he'd catch and swallow thinking they were a treat :lol: Shadow was a sod for it though, the only way we could get pills down him was in little bits of fairy cake sprinkled with cinnamon. Anything else and he'd just spit the pill out no matter how well you hid it.
Greyluvver

Post by Greyluvver »

Suzette wrote: Also, I'm not certain about this, but I do believe Greyluvver was talking about that fake, dog safe "chocolate", not the real stuff. I don't use that myself, but I have heard of it.
Yes, that's the choclate I mean. Arthur, our greyhound, can be easily fooled by a bit of chicken or pate but Sherry, the whippet, like to really chew up her food so she identifies the pill (or bit of a pill) and just spits it out. But she loves her choccie drops and absolutely wolfs those down, so here's hoping....
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Greyluvver wrote:
Suzette wrote: Also, I'm not certain about this, but I do believe Greyluvver was talking about that fake, dog safe "chocolate", not the real stuff. I don't use that myself, but I have heard of it.
Yes, that's the choclate I mean. Arthur, our greyhound, can be easily fooled by a bit of chicken or pate but Sherry, the whippet, like to really chew up her food so she identifies the pill (or bit of a pill) and just spits it out. But she loves her choccie drops and absolutely wolfs those down, so here's hoping....
Ahh, some dogs are just too clever for their own good! :lol: But good for you for finding something that works with your dog. :wink:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Oh yes, there's always one that puts us through our paces :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I think I read something somewhere that even 'safe' dog and cat choc isnt great for them as it still has levels of whatever the chemical is that is poisonous.
bendog

Post by bendog »

I think thats similar to saying onions, broccoli, leeks etc aren't good for them either. Given in large amounts on a daily basis they won't be, but in small quantities it won't do a lot of harm.

I give Sasha Dorwest Garlic and Fenugreek tablets - I have to disguise them as Nettle describes (and even then it sometimes takes a few tries to get her to swallow them).
But the pup loves them, so I give her one and she crunches it like it's a treat!

You can also get the worming tablets now that are chewy and meaty flavoured, though not sure how effective they are as wormers