Calling all professional dog trainers

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

SusanRShipman

Calling all professional dog trainers

Post by SusanRShipman »

I'm hoping to get some advice on starting my own dog training business.

I know it's a big venture but I feel like I'm ready. I'm 28 and don't have many other commitments other than my part-time job, which I plan on keeping until my training business takes off. Because I have little experience doing professional training, I was only going to start off with basic obedience and manners, and keep away from any serious behavior issues, for the time being.

I took the Foundations course from the Karen Pryor Academy, I've trained my own dogs in all the basic commands and then some, and I am constantly reading books/websites on dog training and dogs in general. I want to know some of the negatives or hardships any of you have endured in your own pro training ventures, but please don't be too discouraging! I really am serious about this.

In short, I'd just like to know what advice you have, what to expect, where I should begin, that kind of thing. I thank you in advance for reading this and for offering any info! :)
CarolineLovesDogs

Re: Calling all professional dog trainers

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

I'm not a trainer, but good luck! If you really try, I do believe you can accomplish this dream!! :) :D
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

key is, your teaching people to teach their dog. Know your limitations. nothing wrong with referring to a more experienced trainer if a client has issues you aren't ready to deal with. don't make things up. if you don't know, you don't know. hit the books and learn.

http://www.phantompub.com/SoYouWanttobeaTrainer.htm
http://www.phantompub.com/OneOnOne.htm
http://www.phantompub.com/ItsNotTheDogsBook.htm
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I am currently taking m,y Instructors course with the APDT (UK) (totally different to the APDT USA)...I have done one part of my coursework (and got all As!!), am doing my second lot at the moment, we have another residential weekend in August then more coursework. I am also helping out at dog training classes one evening a week...and in a few months will also be helping out/watching at another load of classes another day in the week.

I really would advise you to do the same before setting up...its so important! Teaching a class, explaining techniques and methods to owners, dealing with several dogs in a class, answering questions etc is so very different from just training your own dog. I have been helping there for a few months now, and I wont be setting up classes until I feel absolutely confident as this is the foundation training for people and their puppies I am talking about, and want to do it well!

The APDT course has also been fabulous....the essays I have been doing, althpouigh I knew a lot of it in theory, it encourages you to research topics and learn so much more...such as stress, body language, dominance theory, reinforcement schedules etc...all things you really need to know in order to effectively teach.

At the moment yes there is no set route to being a trainer, and effectively anyone can set up with no experience or qualifications. I am with you in that its a very exciting venture to be undertaking, but I highly advise going to help with classes (watching first, then helping out) rather than launching straight into your own classes as it will be a real shock! Where are you based??

And read! A lot! I have dog books all over my coffee table at the moment!
CarolineLovesDogs

Post by CarolineLovesDogs »

ladybug1802 wrote:I am currently taking m,y Instructors course with the APDT (UK) (totally different to the APDT USA)...I have done one part of my coursework (and got all As!!), am doing my second lot at the moment, we have another residential weekend in August then more coursework. I am also helping out at dog training classes one evening a week...and in a few months will also be helping out/watching at another load of classes another day in the week.

I really would advise you to do the same before setting up...its so important! Teaching a class, explaining techniques and methods to owners, dealing with several dogs in a class, answering questions etc is so very different from just training your own dog. I have been helping there for a few months now, and I wont be setting up classes until I feel absolutely confident as this is the foundation training for people and their puppies I am talking about, and want to do it well!

The APDT course has also been fabulous....the essays I have been doing, althpouigh I knew a lot of it in theory, it encourages you to research topics and learn so much more...such as stress, body language, dominance theory, reinforcement schedules etc...all things you really need to know in order to effectively teach.

At the moment yes there is no set route to being a trainer, and effectively anyone can set up with no experience or qualifications. I am with you in that its a very exciting venture to be undertaking, but I highly advise going to help with classes (watching first, then helping out) rather than launching straight into your own classes as it will be a real shock! Where are you based??
Good for you! :D
And read! A lot! I have dog books all over my coffee table at the moment!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

susanRshipman, are you in the USA or UK. If in the USA, there are several schools, but you do want to be careful about a lot of them. I know of two on the West coast that have great reputations though.

Like Ladybug says, it's important to combined some book learning (helps prevent reinventing the wheel so to speak) and some hands on before hanging out your own "shingle" so to speak.

one of the professionals that hangs out here and helps often advises to watch lots, question lots. basically if someone say dogs do/are X, ask why. why/how is that true. that kind of thing. There is LOTS, and LOTS of really ingrained incorrect information out there both within the "training world" and with the public. Your going to need to be able to sift the myth from truth, bad from good.

training is a technical skill that can be learned, and being a good trainer will mean you also need to be willing to never stop learning, questioning, observing.

If your in the USA, our version of APDT (Association of Pet Dog Trainers) is a industry association, not a school that was started in part by Dr. Ian Dunbar and while targeted at people who train as a profession, does have a non professional member level open to anyone. I would encourage at least investing in a one year membership and take a look at the resources they offer to help continue education and to maybe find someone in your area that you can apprentice with.

http://www.apdt.com/

couple more resources for you, but be careful...visiting these sights can be dangerous to your bank account :oops: :lol:
http://www.dogwise.com/
http://www.tawzerdog.com