"Tie the Kong down in the crate..."

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

"Tie the Kong down in the crate..."

Post by minkee »

Often heard this advice, and I'm planning on reintroducing the crate as a place to hang out (rather than just a dinner table) for Scout. Does anyone have any practical tips on how to actually do this though?! Thoughts are most appreciated :D
Erica

Re: "Tie the Kong down in the crate..."

Post by Erica »

I'd personally get a good strong bit of rope (preferably one you can wash without it getting yucky), poke it through the small hole, and tie a knot in the side that comes out of the large hole. Trim away excess (but not too much or it'll untie!), then pull it from the small hole side so that it's mostly out of the way of food. I'd tie the free end to a carabiner so you can easily remove the kong from the crate to fill.

There doesn't seem to be a very good place to tie it from the outside...though I haven't ever tried!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Post by minkee »

A carabiner sounds like it'd be very useful, thank you! Though I think the size of Kongs that you use must vary from the ones Scout has! If I tied rope in there there'd be no room for anything else! Maybe I should invest in a bigger one...
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Do be careful permanently blocking the small hole too tightly, there are some cheap versions of kongs that don't/didn't have the small hole and some dogs have had their tongues stuck inside in a vacuum where they swelled up and had to have the kong cut away to release them.
minkee

Post by minkee »

:shock: :cry: