Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Re: Vent!

Post by Erica »

Oldest Sister returned home a few months ago, so I got a lock on my door and have been stowing Delta away when I'm gone. His separation anxiety started ramping up again, though. I know she will come in my room while I'm gone, so I can't just leave it open, but putting Del in the room isn't something he likes. Sister is doing better and is not dangerous, except for the stealing-clothes thing, so I think I'll have to lock my room with Delta out in the house. I don't like it, but it's the best option til she moves out again.

Funny how she gave me s*** for not having a career and house at 24, but at 34 she doesn't have either either...and I've got an internship at a company I'll be happy to work for, a job that pays the bills in the meantime (which won't be for much longer, since they're starting to have me instruct the occasional class and putting me on the website!), and she is jobless again with no real path or plan. :roll:

I think I'm actually on track to be ahead of *all* my siblings, career wise, if you're talking achievements by age. :P
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Nnnnnnnngggghhhh, you so don't need her in your home, Erica. ((((((Hugs))))))
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Hugs from me too.

Hang on in there - one day this will just be an unpleasant memory. Be proud of how far you have come.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

When a dog pesters Jasper and the person scolds their dog with: 'It's unfair because he's wearing a muzzle and can't get back at you.' I've heard similar comments before - so it's all fair and OK to allow dogs into a situation where one can take a chunk out of the other?

I was really pleased with Jasper though - he let the dog sniff him, then did his best to ignore him as he belted up and down like an idiot, and then gave him a few telling-offs and a couple of paws on the back which is his way (I think) of saying that he's the top dog and the other dog is waaaaay overstepping the mark. He had no interest in taking it any further. The owner, meanwhile, just said sorry a few times and did sod all.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Fascinates me how people don't do easy obvious things such as reeling the dog in on its horrible extending lead, or moving away. They just look at you with bug eyes and say things like: "he's soooo naughty" or "It will do him good to get a telling-off".

Erica

Post by Erica »

Took Del on a walk in the woods, stopped by our friends' house afterwards as she had her dog out and he and Del like to run around together, seeing who can pee on the most things. Then two random dogs showed up, who apparently my friend knew the owner of. I call Delta back and put him on leash, and we leave, because the random dogs looked like the kind of dog Del doesn't like. Then the newcomers' owner shows up, except his approach sends the dogs slowly moving away from him, not following in the least. And he pushes them in the direction Del and I are going. :/ I get Del into our garden without issue, manage to get the newcomer dog (who went onto our property) out of the path from the garden to the house. Then I start moving Delta in the house, and discover that the newcomer has gone to our neighbors' yard, with their dogs, whom my mom is taking care of. I get Delta inside, grab a spare leash, and go to get newcomer away (as 90 lb newcomer dog + 30 lb, muscley, dog selective dog + old, blind/deaf 40 lb dog is not a good situation) and he just doesn't want anything to do with me, so I use that to get him moving along the way his owner had gone, as owner had just completely abandoned him once he was out of sight. Ugh. Owner knew the two dogs had gotten out but didn't bother bringing a treat or a leash to actually corral the dogs. Just tried to whistle and yell the dogs in the right direction, which definitely didn't work.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I picked up the remnants of three broken glass bottles in the woods today - all in one spot and in so many pieces they must have been smashing them on purpose :evil: And it was pouring with rain, so at least I've earned plenty of good karma points today, and hopefully have saved a dog getting a nasty cut.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes: another week in Paradise for that, JudyN :lol:

Seriously - a good job done there. Imbeciles and breaking glass are on the same level as those who dump sharp rubbish - or any rubbish - in watercourses. What Brian Plummer called "A near miss on the evolutionary ladder".

roycov

Post by roycov »

Erica wrote:Zeus's owners want a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. For those wondering why this makes me want to rip my hair out, Zeus is over 200 pounds and a Cav is 20 pounds at MOST. Seems like a fairly bad idea to me, but I'm asking for more opinions in a different thread. x3 Still, she's not listening to reason and it's making me mad. "No, the breeder said they were fine with big dogs! The breeder said they were very healthy! I've read a whole book on them and they didn't mention health problems!" -facepalm-
Could work both ways, to me it depends on how you handle the two dogs. It will be hard at first if they introduce the 2 dogs together.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Billy is a Romanian rescue. He was spotted on the internet by someone while in Romania, who whipped up her friends into a frenzy of fundaising to get him out of his situation. They asked around to find someone who could foster him, and one person said they might be able to, but would have to see, already had a couple of fosters and it they didn't move on it wouldn't be possible.

The next thing this person knows, Billy is in the UK with nowhere to go, and she's not in a position to help.

Someone decides that after his long, traumatic journey, he needs to chill. So he is put in a crate, with a towel, in a dark garage with no heating, and left for a day.

My friend, L, is asked if she can help. She says she might be able to look after him for a week, but she has a job, a small house, and two dogs of her own, one who is elderly and reactive. Billy has now been with her for 3-4 weeks and has nowhere to go - last time she spoke to the person supposedly responsible for Billy, they said they were ill and would ring back later - which they didn't.

Billy is severely traumatised. He will relax on the sofa, and L can sit next to him, but not touch him. At the start of a 'treat-giving session' he won't take treats from her but after giving some to her dogs and putting them on the sofa for him when he won't take them, she can hold them in her palm with her thumb on top and he will sniff and nuzzle to get them and she can rub his face for a couple of seconds without him objecting. He's housetrained now (wasn't when he arrived), but she has to leave the door open as she thinks he's terrified he won't be let back in. She's nowhere near being able to get a collar on him so walks are out of the question. With very careful management, he's shown very little fear aggression, but enough to suggest that in the wrong hands he could easily be pushed to bite.

L is stuck - she can't keep him, the house is too small and it's not fair on her older reactive lad (who has just had the odd grumble and brief snark). But finding someone who will be able to continue working with him, and getting him there without a major setback, is going to be really difficult. If she had seen him when he was still in Romania she would have said that the best option for him was in all probability euthanasia, but of course now she has him and has gained at least some trust, she couldn't bring herself to follow this path, and doesn't even know if she could let him go on to someone she doesn't trust. But he can't stay.

I can't think of enough rude words to describe the IDIOTS who brought this poor dog over here :evil:
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

I can't think of enough rude words to describe the IDIOTS who brought this poor dog over here :evil:
Judy, I agree. It's frustrating. All these so called do-gooders are okay with themselves with doing what they think by "rescuing some poor dog" without having to take responsibility for caring for the dog or worse without thinking about the unintended consequences, not only for your friend, but the poor dog as well.

He has found himself in a difficult situation. He doesn't understand English, he's knows Romanian. He's in a very unfamiliar area and different customs. It's worse than for a human since the dog can't understand what happened or why. One day he's in Romania, and the next it's as if he had been kidnapped. :shock:

Your friend has been wonderful, but as you mentioned this dog needs more help and attention than she can give him. It's wonderful how much she has elicited his trust in her. I would be scared to go outside for fear of being kidnapped again. :shock:

And, so your friend is stuck in a situation that's the result of this very poor planning. And, the fact that no one, including those responsible for this situation, want to come forward and help.

I really hope there is some way she can find someone who can take this dog in. Problem, though, as you mentioned, is that he is so traumatized that he will need a lot of help and personal attention. And, I'm sure the U.K. has enough dogs in need of help that they really didn't need to bring this dog from Romania.
It's also very sad. :cry:
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

On another subject, we were in a motel last week. Well, another couple had a dog, too. OH took Sandy out to potty. On their way back to the side door, this couple park their car, and the next thing before they exit, they let the dog out on one of those extending leashes. They are still sitting in the car, :evil: and their dog is running through the parking lot towards OH & Sandy. :shock:
Sandy is still fear reactive so he is going crazy. The leash is so thin that OH didn't even realize the dog was leashed. He yelled at the couple who are still just getting out of their car to get their dog under control and on leash. It was then that OH saw that the dog was on leash, but an extending one that has gone at least 50 ft to him and Sandy. :shock:

What also got us is that they let their dog out in a parking lot where he could easily have been hit by a car! :shock:
How stupid! :evil:
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

So this happened a few days ago and i cant remember if i posted about it or not but im STILL fuming.

So my dad was commenting on how bax never looks guilty. like he doesn't slink or duck his head or anything (which dad objects to, especially when Bax potties in the house and i dont yell or anything) so he was like, "why cant he be more like Ki?" (my sisters dog who i have ranted on here ALOT about.)
and my mom laughed and said as, im ASSUMING, a joke, "that's because bax has never been beaten half to death like Ki."

WHO JOKES ABOUT THINGS LIKE THAT!??!?!??!!??!? Poor Ki :cry: :cry:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
AliceGrimm

Post by AliceGrimm »

Shalista wrote:WHO JOKES ABOUT THINGS LIKE THAT!??!?!??!!??!? Poor Ki :cry: :cry:
That is awful. :cry:
I dislike hearing about such things. Especially when it is people you care about or know and they treat animals so poorly (that or feel like it is no big deal to arm animals).
Though I don't understand... it sounds like he wants to see things littler than him squirm in fear before him? I don't get it.. Forgive me.

But I can understand why you are fuming. I would not leave a furry baby near them, if they take such things so lightly.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I've just seen a 'funny' 'cute' video on Facebook, shared by an old online friend who has a puppy, which has given me the rage :evil: Two pug puppies in a crate with a kitten. The kitten is smaller than the pugs but not bothered by them in the slightest, whereas the pugs are backing away from the kitten in terror. A couple of times they're brave enough to bark at it, but most of the time they are cowering back into the corner of the cage, trying to hide behind each other. That's not funny, it's downright cruel.

I don't feel it would be right to comment - I tend just to lurk on Facebook and if I'm not going to comment 'Awwww' when she posts genuinely cute stuff I don't think it's right to criticise the posts I don't like. So I'm venting here instead :evil: :evil: :evil: