Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

Vent!

Post by minkee »

I have just seen a little thing that makes me cross. It's the advert here: http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/ ... -free.html
Hiya I am looking for a husky or a springer spaniel for cheap or free . I would like a puppy but not to fused how old she is . has to be a ***** tho as I have only had girls . I am only a young person I could do with a friend . I had a dog but had to get rid cause she made a mess of the house .
:evil: :evil: :evil:

I thought a thread in which we can exorcise our irritations would be useful. Whaddaya got? :twisted:
Fundog

Re: Vent!

Post by Fundog »

I saw another customer in the sporting goods store today who wanted to see the shock collars. :evil:
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Minkee, I know how you feel. When someone sees that ad and they have a dog they want to rehome, hopefully, they will do the right thing, but unfortunately, they don't. This makes me wonder what kind of life this next dog as well as the other dogs really have with this individual. Will this dog be kept, or will it too, be rehomed? I know this would be one of the many questions running through my head, if I saw an ad like this.

Fundog, you must see the thread I posted here under "General Chat" called "I Need Your Help...". In this thread, I asked for help for links, articles, pictures, and other materials to help me in my research for a lecturer/debate I had to do on behalf of the animal shelters in my area about the use of shock collars and other aversive training tools used by those people who train their and/or other dogs using other dog training methods that aren't Positive Reinforcement Dog Training Methods. Any questions you may have, this goes for any one here on the forum, please feel free to ask.
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I've just seen somebody advised to muzzle their friendly dog to stop it running up to other dogs and people and pulling on leash :? I fail to see how a muzzle will stop any of those problems.

And it's no wonder us military families have such a bad reputation here. I've seen a dog being rehomed so somebody could start a child minding business. Dog was fine with children but some parents might not want their child around a dog so the dog had to go. Several dogs being rehomed because the owners live in a flat and don't think it's fair for the dog to be "cooped up" all the time. Hello...get off your backside and take the dog for walks so it isn't cooped up all the time. Several huskies being rehomed because their owners "don't have time" for them. And even more dogs and cats looking for new homes due to their owners moving back to the UK.

And don't even get me started on the snakes, lizards, hamsters and rabbits!
Erica

Post by Erica »

Zeus's owners want a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. For those wondering why this makes me want to rip my hair out, Zeus is over 200 pounds and a Cav is 20 pounds at MOST. Seems like a fairly bad idea to me, but I'm asking for more opinions in a different thread. x3 Still, she's not listening to reason and it's making me mad. "No, the breeder said they were fine with big dogs! The breeder said they were very healthy! I've read a whole book on them and they didn't mention health problems!" -facepalm-
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Post by minkee »

Erica :( I was looking at Cavvies for a friend of a friend who recently lost their dog, and needed something small, sweet and relaxed for a companion dog. I remembered that Nettle said you'd need to choose a breeder very carefully, but then just last week there was a program on UK television about the Kennel Club and breeding practises and so on - one woman had the stat that 70% of ALL Cavvies would have Syringomyelia by the time they were 6. For anyone that doesn't know, Syringomyelia is a disorder where the brain is too big for the skull - they compared it to trying to fit a size 10 foot in a size 6 shoe. Now, I don't know enough to know how accurate that stat is, but I know that it's scary enough for me to want to go no where near the breed :(

Perhaps if you could get her to look at some of the Cavvy health sites (there are very,very many) she would reconsider.

And that's all assuming it won't just get squished flat!
minkee

Post by minkee »

I just had a quick look, and that very clip is on their website here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00pk265 I _think_ you'll be able to see it outside the UK (but not the full program).
Erica

Post by Erica »

Minkee, thanks for the clip! I'll show that to her as well. I told her about some of the issues Cavvys have, since I researched them loosely at one point (whenever I find a breed I like the looks of, I do a bit of research to see if it'd be a good fit in the future ;) ) and all the decent sites warn of health problems. The fact that the breeder says they're an overall healthy breed makes me doubt their responsibility. :/ All very suspicious to me.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Not much bothers me anymore (perhaps this is one of the few good things that can be attributed to age :wink: )

But someone bragging about his dog getting into a fight and "kicking another dog's a$$" still gets my goat.

Perhaps this is because Ari has been in a real fight once, and the other poor dog needed emergency vet and a long rehab after that incident.

Or perhaps because ignorance, stupidity, disregard for dogs and people are really difficult to ignore... Anyway, that was my rant for today :twisted:
easilyconfused

Post by easilyconfused »

Crufts was on the TV yesterday. I saw their behaviorist say repeatedly you have to be the pack leader as the most important training advice you can get. :x
Having just spent the week convincing a client that her " dominant aggressive" pitbull ( according to her vet) wasn't destroying the house because he was the leader. What I saw was a staffie x bc who was bored.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

easilyconfused i hear you. that stuff is starting to frustrate me more and more because it redirects attention from the real problems.

I just finished watching Patricia McConnell's new DVD. In it she relates two stories of "pack leader" advice from WAY out in left field.

1. hold your new baby over the dogs head so it knows the baby is higher ranked in the pack :shock: (I am hoping this trainer has some gold plated liability insurance)

2. smear your babies dirty diaper along the walls of your house just above the dog's head level so the dog knows the baby is higher ranked.

Then there was that guy on the beach yesterday that to "correct" his malamute grabbed it by the neck, yelled at it and forced it to the ground and made it lay on it's side for close to 5 minutes. in this particular case the whole incident from the guys attitude to how he dressed to what he did to this absolutely gorgeous animal did nothing to disprove a whole bunch of stereotypes for the type of person who "would do this".
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

jacksdad wrote:1. hold your new baby over the dogs head so it knows the baby is higher ranked in the pack :shock: (I am hoping this trainer has some gold plated liability insurance)

2. smear your babies dirty diaper along the walls of your house just above the dog's head level so the dog knows the baby is higher ranked.

Then there was that guy on the beach yesterday that to "correct" his malamute grabbed it by the neck, yelled at it and forced it to the ground and made it lay on it's side for close to 5 minutes. in this particular case the whole incident from the guys attitude to how he dressed to what he did to this absolutely gorgeous animal did nothing to disprove a whole bunch of stereotypes for the type of person who "would do this".
Christ! Any one who is deranged enough to actual implement that advice would be better off if their dog was in charge :lol:

I saw someone Alpha Roll a King Charles Spaniel because it looked at Ted for a bit too long :shock:

The guy on Crufts who mentioned being the Pack Leader didn't really explain what that might mean other than the dog having lowest rank :roll: . I do sometimes think it is bandied about as a phrase because people have heard it (especially from certain quarters) but what they actually mean is teaching boundaries and manners but don't really know how to do it. Victoria talks about being a leader (not sure in later series) but I do think that positive training needs a phrase that sums up that general good behaviour and how the human achieves it, maybe it does and I've just not heard it/noticed it as yet :roll:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

ClareMarsh wrote: I do think that positive training needs a phrase that sums up that general good behaviour and how the human achieves it, maybe it does and I've just not heard it/noticed it as yet :roll:
Team leader? I was toying with the idea of writing an article the other day comparing dog training to working for a boss who either a) made sure you knew what was expected, praised you when you managed it, and worked round any problems when you went wrong, or b) told you to get on with the job after insufficient training, shouted at you when you went wrong and then hit you when you (i) widdled on the floor in fear or (ii) shouted back.

I had the latter type of boss once. I'm glad to say I never widdled on the floor, or shouted back, and have to say he did get results. But I felt pretty darn stressed - I might just as well have been wearing a shock collar, come to think about it...
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I've had the latter type too, she never hit me though (sadly as I would have punched her back and she would have lost that one :evil: ), the psychological torture was horrific though and I ended up signed off with depression and anxiety. BUT without her I would still be there and I wouldn't have Ted (I worked 12 hour plus days so no time for dogs) so I owe her that but it was awful and she never ever got the best out of me.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

To be honest, Annie and Dottie do "rank" above my God-children. But that is only because they are better behaved. "Annie and Dottie know 'wait' better than you do. Do you mean to tell me my dogs are smarter than you?" :P
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.