Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ScarletSci

Re: Vent!

Post by ScarletSci »

Ah, I do see that your first post was on the third, I saw the second one on the forth. I'm in the UK too :D

My appointment is in the morning at...dun dun dun... 10.10am!
master2

Post by master2 »

Good luck Scarletsci.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

Well, it sucked. Hurt worse than the first appointment, but still not as bad as the toothagony was. And it's done for now. I go back next week for the crown and second filling. :(
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I hate going to the dentist too... but only because her car park is the stuff of nightmares, down a very steep sloping drive with low walls to the sides, and with very little space to manouvre. Plus it's off a busy road with poor visibility of approaching cars. My time in the dentist's chair is relaxing in comparison :lol:

I've just read a news article which claims that dog-friendly holiday home owners could be charged under the new dangerous dogs act if anyone should be attacked on their property. It suggests that they need to ensure their garden is secure... So anyone who doesn't want to erect a 6' fence with no chihuahua-sized gaps in it whatsoever will have to refuse dogs? :shock: It's my job to assess what I need to do to keep Jasper and the public safe when we go on holiday, and in the majority of cottages I just accept he'll have to be on lead in the garden, even if it would be 'secure' for the majority of dogs.

I'm hoping this is just the usual shoddy journalism, as I've only found it in a couple of local papers (via Facebook) which is why I'm not fueling the fire even more by providing a link.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It is the 'keeper' of the dog who is liable, so under the DDA the holiday let owners are not responsible for anything a client's dog does while on their property. Possibly the dog owner could sue when an incident resulted from a non-dog-proof area being described as dog-safe, but IMO that would not stand a chance of success in law because the owner of the dog has a 'duty of care'. I am NOT a solicitor so don't take that as gospel - but anyone who has dog insurance might like to check with their insurance company.

I don't know any holiday lets marketed as dog-proof - mostly they just say 'fenced'.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I certainly can't see anything in the legislation that would make the holiday home owner liable (unless they made false claims). Not that I've read it all, of course :wink: At most, I see gardens described as 'enclosed'. So assuming the article is wrong, my vent is about poor journalism :wink:

Not dog related, but poor-journalism related, someone posted up this article the other day and asked if anyone could spot a couple of errors: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... hotos.html I counted five spelling/grammar mistakes/typos, but then they said to look at the pictures. Going by the leg rings, there are three different birds there, and the fish changes colour :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Some foks are more easily taken in than others :wink: no flies on you, JudyN :lol:

master2

Post by master2 »

This evening has been a nightmare and still is. I'm getting really bad stomach cramps and have been to the bathroom three times already since my cramps came on. My bowls are really loose. I'm not sure if it's the 5 dairy milk bars I ate ( I had eaten a 6 pack in one day :oops: or if it's the pork I got from asda?

I had rice as well but it was microwave rice.

I wish I knew what has caused my stomach cramps?
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

It's more likely a gastrointestinal virus. Have a cup of herbal tea. Mint or licorice are both soothing to irritated digestive tracts. I hope you feel better soon. :(
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
master2

Post by master2 »

Thanks Fundog.

I will try show herbal tea. My cramps are not as bad but I feel sick now instead of having loose bowls :(
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes: sounds like a tummy bug, and your body is coping with it just as it should. Ginger tea can be good for griping tums as well. A slice of peeled root ginger in hot water. I really like it.

Hope you feel better soon. Think of the fun you can have when you are better, eating your way back up to your usual size :lol:

master2

Post by master2 »

I did not like the mint tea so threw it away but the ginger tea wa really nice. I feel much better now I had a quinoa salad for lunch so feel full of engery now.

Does anyone one else get fed up of online articles that say kale can cause thyroid problems and that quinoa is bad for us. I eat a lot of quinoa salad wraps through the week so I get fed up of articles like this.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/artic ... s-gut.html

and yet my doctor has told me apart from the chocolate addiction my diet is really healrhy. I'm also not a massive meat eater either I prefer fish my faves are salmon and river cobbler.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's the Daily Mail. Don't read it, it's bad for your health: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBT6OSr1TI

On the other hand, my mum points out that if you read the Daily Mail for long enough, whatever you eat will be healthy at some time so you never have to worry. That's not a bad approach to life really :lol:
master2

Post by master2 »

Thanks JudyN :D

Good to know as I love quinoa.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Raw brassicas do affect thyroid function, but you'd need to eat a field full every day! Once cooked, the suppressant effect is lost.

And as JudyN says - the more health articles you read, the more chance there is of going full circle, and what would kill you yesterday will save your life today. I have been tempted to create a spreadsheet :lol: