Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nettle

Re: Vent!

Post by Nettle »

This is cracking me up :? she has now found a litter of miniature xx (the breed does not come in miniature) in the colour the breed does not have either, and she says they are very expensive (not normally they aren't) and she's going to see them today.

In four weeks' time she's off on holiday for three weeks.

Oh, and the house is for sale because the marriage is over and she'll probably have to live in a flat afterwards. Flats that allow dogs are as rare as rocking horse droppings round here.

Honestly, you couldn't make it up.

Thank you for listening. She'll be fine. I'm the one that's suffering. JudyN, Bendog, Erica, anyone else - can we meet up for cyber coffee and cake? A LOT of coffee and cake?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

sounds like you need that special coffee...you know the type with something strong added to it :wink:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yeah - this is even too much for chocolate :(

I've managed to get her to wait until after her holiday.

rnor1120

Post by rnor1120 »

Maybe you could direct her toward this "breeder":

http://www.tea-cup-yorkies.com/

Seriously, I want to vomit after flipping through that page. Read the "contract" section if you really want a good laugh (or cry or vomit).
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

rnor1120 wrote:Maybe you could direct her toward this "breeder":

http://www.tea-cup-yorkies.com/

Seriously, I want to vomit after flipping through that page. Read the "contract" section if you really want a good laugh (or cry or vomit).
It made me sick. Are they real dogs or are they expected to be toys to be dressed and shown off as if on a shelf or in their Gucci bags?
It reminds me of an episode where a young girl was dressing her small dog up as if it was a doll to play with. and the family was wondering why the dog had behavior problems and temper tantrums.
I feel so bad for these poor dogs. What kind of real life are they going to have? And the prices are exhorbitant, too.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

Vent - Bindii prickles/weeds growing throughout parkland and lawn, with grass-level spiky weeds that die off at this time of year leaving gazillions of bindii prickles everywhere that stick in bare feet (people and dogs). Having to walk mainly on concrete/pavement isn't as much fun. Luckily there's one field along the way a bit with healthy enough grass cover where bindiis can't get a go on.

Another real pet peeve is when choke chains are left around a dog's neck like a collar. It would only take one item to hook in the exposed ring, and you could have a dead dog. This reminds me time after time that too many users of these devices are too careless to operate them safely.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

rnor1120 wrote:Seriously, I want to vomit after flipping through that page. Read the "contract" section if you really want a good laugh (or cry or vomit).
'replacement puppy' :x
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

mansbestfriend wrote:Vent - Bindii prickles/weeds growing throughout parkland and lawn, with grass-level spiky weeds that die off at this time of year leaving gazillions of bindii prickles everywhere that stick in bare feet (people and dogs). Having to walk mainly on concrete/pavement isn't as much fun. Luckily there's one field along the way a bit with healthy enough grass cover where bindiis can't get a go on.
Aaahh yes!! (Such an Aussie vent too :lol: ) I've asked OH to take the spray pack on all our walking routes after he does our yard next year. Funnily enough, he's reluctant to spray the whole neighbourhood's nature strips :lol: .

Second only to magpies on the annoying scale this time of year (6 swoops in one street on a run two weeks ago. So glad I was wearing a hat or I'd have no scalp left).

There are parts of our walk where Sweetie just stops and waits to be carried (cuddled :roll: ) over the bindii!
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

AND

That tongue-in-cheek kids book 'Go The F... To Sleep' - can someone please read it to my neighbour's dog tonight? Every time he starts up my Sweetie goes out the back to yell at him... I just want to go to bed. :?
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

mansbestfriend wrote:Vent - Bindii prickles/weeds growing throughout parkland and lawn, with grass-level spiky weeds that die off at this time of year leaving gazillions of bindii prickles everywhere that stick in bare feet (people and dogs). Having to walk mainly on concrete/pavement isn't as much fun. Luckily there's one field along the way a bit with healthy enough grass cover where bindiis can't get a go on.

Another real pet peeve is when choke chains are left around a dog's neck like a collar. It would only take one item to hook in the exposed ring, and you could have a dead dog. This reminds me time after time that too many users of these devices are too careless to operate them safely.
You arent the only place with prickles everywhere. Albuquerque has them, too. Grow in the wild areas but also in parks. So many times, we have had to remove them from Sandy's little paw.

And those choke chains left around a dog's neck can be serious. Ouch! Sometimes I would want the owner to wear one to see what it is like, same with shock collars.
For those of you who watch NCIS, the latest episode last night revolved around killing people with electric garots around the necks which get tighter until totally beheads them. So, when I think of choke collaes on dogs, it reminds me of that horrible way to be murdered. The episode is called "Choke Hold" :evil: :evil:

(I hope I didnt ruin the show for anyone who hasnt seen it yet.)
By the way, I feel like I am choking just wearing a turtleneck shirt or sweater, which I cannot wear, along with tight necklaces.
Diane
Erica

Post by Erica »

I'll never leave anything but a breakaway or release collar on my dogs alone...there's the Premier/PetSafe ones, and a friend has pointed out a brand called Tazlab. Their collars don't break off but have a bit of elastic that will stretch under pressure. I'm going to see if Long Dog Leather's "necklaces" will fit Delta when he's full grown, to keep his coat healthy :)

Poor neighbor's dog Dobby ate too many hazelnuts and acorns and had to have veterinary intervention. :(

Today is the first day this week that I haven't walked outside and found one of the neighbor's dogs in our yard. Electric collar fences Do Not Work but people refuse to admit it and keep doing the same darn thing...
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

People are so good at doing the Same Darn Thing. Like when they can't be bothered to train the dog in loose lead (leash for my USA readers :wink: ) walking and for years go one two three heave one two three heave one two three....... :roll:

delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I completely agree with the collar thing, just what is the point. Luckily I don't see many chokers at all around here but there's a new puppy about (I'm not sure what he is but that's another story) who has a martingale collar which I can see the benefits when used correctly/ for the right reasons but when the man leaves the park with the puppy, I tend to see it on the way home tied to a lamp post whilst he's nipped into a shop and I do always wonder if that's really a good idea, especially because the post is very close to the road (the lead is very short and the puppy doesn't seem to be able to get to the road). Maybe it's just me overreacting because I won't leave Laufey outside of anywhere (mostly because he won't let me).

On a follow-up to my rant on Sunday, when Luna was picked up I casually pointed out that she definitely needs some toys and working with on lead but I didn't want to give a long list of complaints to didn't mention everything. Although, absolutely unbelievably, they were thankful for the food and didn't expect me to have bought any ?! :? they brought her without food so I'm not exactly sure what they expected her to have eaten for two days :roll: I'm thinking I might try and set some time aside next week and go to try and talk to my cousin's girlfriend seriously about what's going on with Luna. I feel I'll have better results with just her than with my cousin and definitely better results than the two of them together. I just need to figure out the best way to constructively tell her she's not doing the best for the dog. Wish me luck! :)
gwd

Post by gwd »

Nettle wrote:lead (leash for my USA readers :wink: )
Interestingly, all of the show folks I know say 'lead' on this side of the Atlantic............. pet folks seem to generally go with 'leash'
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Delladoo,

That is going to be a very touchy subject. If they dont appreciate it, it could lead to animosity, and worse for Luna.

Perhaps, like the food situation, show them the food you give and amounts and explain why it is important...and so on.
The fact they didnt bring food, may be they just forgot in their hurry. Or, they may be embarrassed about the food they give Luna. It is positive that they thanked you for feeding Luna which would have been a good opening to talk about food kinds and how much. (Would have been nice, too, to have paid you something for the food.)

Perhaps, gift them one of your books on training, feeding, etc. that you think they may learn from, and then plan on discussing it with them and be ready to answer any questions.

I have learned the hard way, how defensive people can be when they feel criticizes even wifh good intentions. You want them to feel comfortable with you, and you want the best for Luna. Chances are that they dont know any better. Gifting them a favorite book will let them know you care, and that can open up lines for communication.
And also, this way, the next time they bring Luna or you visit them, you can show by example, too.

Diane