Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

Re: Vent!

Post by wvvdiup1 »

That's because you've trained Annie and Dottie well and are still in the process of training your god-children, Fundog! :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

jacksdad wrote: 1. hold your new baby over the dogs head so it knows the baby is higher ranked in the pack

2. smear your babies dirty diaper along the walls of your house just above the dog's head level so the dog knows the baby is higher ranked.
:lol: :lol: :lol: this is a joke, i think, and a funny one!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Excuse me....can I take that dirty daiper off your baby? Only my dog doesn't know I am higher in the pack, and we don't have a baby of our own ....

Does any random baby do, or does it have to be a related one? :shock:

What would that numbskull of a 'trainer' say if I said But the baby isn't sexually mature so its pheromones won't tell the dog anything about rank - what we need is an adult to **** up the wall......hey you -
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
bendog

Post by bendog »

Does any random baby do, or does it have to be a related one?
Oh Nettle, this cracked me up!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Ari_RR wrote:
jacksdad wrote: 1. hold your new baby over the dogs head so it knows the baby is higher ranked in the pack

2. smear your babies dirty diaper along the walls of your house just above the dog's head level so the dog knows the baby is higher ranked.
:lol: :lol: :lol: this is a joke, i think, and a funny one!
I wish it was a joke, she was relating actual stories by clients to trainers.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

:?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?: :?:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Warning! True story, but not for the faint hearted.

The issue about holding the baby over a dogs head? Prompted a childhood memory.

When My sister and I were both toddlers, I'm guessing 5 or 6, she'd be 7 or 8, she had a cocker spaniel, and I had a Border Terrier - a seasoned rat catcher around the farmyard. One day, the cocker caught and brought a young rabbit into the house, but didn't kill it. They can be very gentle dogs. My sister rescued the poor bunny, cupped it in her hands, and taking leave of her senses, decided to 'show' the poor little fella to the terrier by presenting it for her to look at and sniff.

You can probably guess what happened next. If you own a terrier, you will know what happened next. At least it was quick and painless.

It was quite a defining moment in a young kid's life. I suddenly realised my big sister (who is now a GP) was never going to be especially good with animals.
bendog

Post by bendog »

We had a cat when I was little - we also had pet rabbits. The rabbits were big lops and the cat generally left them alone.
One day the rabbits had babies, and the cat got in somehow and brought each baby into the house one at a time still alive. My Dad is useless with animals (and he will admit this). He didn't realise the little creatures were baby rabbits (they do look weird) and the health visitor was visiting to do a home check for my baby brother. Thinking these little things were baby rats or mice my Dad panicked at what the health visitor would say and chucked them all out the window :shock: :(

My rant is about people who get dogs "for company", or "because they love dogs" with no intention of putting the dogs needs first. It really grates on me when I see owners who claim to love their dogs (and possibly do love them) completely neglect to walk or train them, allow them to get grossly overweight, and just generally totally fail to consider the dogs needs at all.
There is more to dog ownership then putting a bowl of food down every day :evil:
And getting a dog and just expecting it to just sit around all day with no walks, or mental stimulation just because you wanted company, or something to cuddle is completely selfish to my eyes.
OK some people might not know any better, but they should do their research before getting a dog in the first place!
jilldiane

Post by jilldiane »

My vent of the day :evil:

People who insist on crossing over road or walking as close as possible to me and my reactive dog :cry:

Now I know I am the one with the problem dog their dog is perfectly behaved and they have every right to walk where they like but why oh why MUST they cross right in front of me and walk very very close when I am clearly trying to keep out of their way!

Since I have been coming on this forum and reading all the advice on reactive dogs Flecha has done really well and now virtually ignores other dogs and looks at me for sausage instead but sometimes other dog owners do make it difficult.

Yesterday I saw person coming along path with their dog so I immediately crossed road to avoid her and get Flecha`s attention on me. All would have been fine if lady had not decided to cross the road when we were almost opposite her and to make it worse her dog was on very long lead. :roll: I had no chance of getting back across road quick so just had to do my best with Flecha.

I know a couple of set backs are not going to make much difference to her but do wish people would give a bit of thought to fellow dog owners who may for whatever reason have a less than perfectly behaved dog but are obviously doing there best.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oh I know how you feel! I was walking Ozzie a few days ago, and while he's not reactive, he is very skittish, so I try to avoid anything scary. On the road back to his house, there was someone walking two dogs on 20 foot leads...she was trying to control them by winding the leashes around her fists, but that didn't work very well; the dogs were still weaving all over the road and had about 10 feet of freedom. Ozzie and I were practically in the forest on the other side of the road, but the dogs (which were both reactive) were about five feet from me. :/

Also, squirrels can go die in all the fires. Especially the stupid ones that run right in front of Zeus, whose impulse control isn't quite *that* good yet. grrrrrrrr.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Along with the numpties who throw a ball for their dog - right at my dogs..... :roll:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

To the two young guys with the GSD's - Why do you follow me when you can see that my dog is not happy? Why even when I pick her up, cross roads and change direction do you still insist on following me? I've never seen you together, did you meet up and agree in secret that you'd do this or is just some weird concidence that you both have GSD's and like to stress us out? Is it because she's small and you think she's not a "real" dog like your shepards? Because she's small and I'm female and you get your kicks by picking on those weaker than you? Because you have tiny... brains? Whatever the reason - QUIT IT!
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Erica

Post by Erica »

The mother of the family I babysit for, who KNOW I know more about dogs than they do, who KNOW me and my training (well, my carrying out of their trainer's advice) are the reasons their dogs don't constantly act out and no longer try to attack every dog they see, have apparently informed their kids that if I get a pit bull they aren't allowed to go near it.

Edit wherever I say breed I mean type/group/whatever. Tired + angry = not thinking clearly

I seriously want to quit right now. I am SICK of this kind of prejudice and honestly I'm starting to get sick of the kids and the family as well. They're so blinded by the media and their "experiences" (mom claims to have been attacked by a pit bull, when I know the only dog that lives in the area where she was "attacked" (knocked down then left completely alone) is a Labrador) that they can't acknowledge that, well:
I, the person they trust their house, dogs, cats, and kids to, favor pit bulls as a breed
The dog trainer they trust with their dogs and who helped change their dogs' behavior for the better has two permanent pit bulls and fosters various pits from shelters
Two of their three previous babysitters have pit bulls; the third doesn't particularly like dogs so.

???
I just don't understand
The people whose opinions they have the most trust in ACTIVELY SUPPORT pit bulls
but because of the various stupid horror stories they think they're all monsters

ugh
I am just DONE with this.
I think i am going to start printing out various things to help tell them how misinformed they are
just
I really want to let loose a stream of curse words but I'm not going to.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
bendog

Dog treats

Post by bendog »

Erica, I'm totally with you.
Pit bulls are banned in Uk, but Staffies (staffordshire bull terriers) get a similar bad rep. Theres an assumption that they are only owned by yobbos, so the owner will be avoided as well as the dog.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Zack just posted this on his FB page, it's like he wanted me to send it to you :shock: :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQue3rukN5A&sns=em

Aren't these the same owners that want to get a Cav for their Mastiff to play with? I'd ignore it, they're either stupid or winding you up, not a battle I'd bother with. I'd probably educate the kids if they're old enough to think for themselves and leave it at that :roll: :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids