Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lotsaquestions

Re: Vent!

Post by Lotsaquestions »

He was quite dramatic about it too. Didn't even look at me but said 'Merlin, you have RUINED our morning!' (he heard the name after I called it when I went over). Of course saying his name whilst he's trying to scab for bread didn't help me out, Merlin thought he was onto a winner. I felt like telling him there is an entire lake of ducks 5mins in the other direction but instead got out of there sharpish.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Next time, point out that feeding ducks bread is really unhealthy for them and so Merlin was doing them a favour :wink:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Merlin the honourary member of the RSPB. :lol:

Did I mention he smacked a Seagull out of the air? Was quite impressive. Seagull landed in front of him, then realised its mistake and took off again. Merlin leapt up and hit it with his paw. Que dazed seagull sitting on the ground and a barking dog play bowing to it to try and get it to fly again. We're very lucky Merlin wasn't a terrier in that moment. :roll:
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

was about to say, i dont think bax would think to knock it out of the air but im 100% sure he'd know what to do with a sky rat on the ground :roll:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

omg if i hear "oh she just wants to play" one more time im gonna get violent.

theres a yorkie on our walk thats been unleashed and unfenced in the front yard twice while her owner is there. owner is mostly deaf old lady. EVERY TIME we pass we get charged. lots of barking lots of charging. every time the old lady goes "oh she just wants to play. shes not dangerous she doesnt have teeth." and EVERY BLEEPIN TIME i yell back at her as loudly as i can "Mines not friendly, mine will fight, mine will BITE" and she doesnt care.

i dont care how nice you think yours is. if she charges my dog barking bax WILL respond. thankfully i was able to yell no at her repeatedly and stomp in her direction enough to keep her at bay till her owner showed up but like of all the stupidities, this owner wasnt even there. i watched her go into the house and leave her dog just sitting in the yard, free to charge me as i went past. thankfully she must have heard me yelling NO because she eventually came back out but.... yikes.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I feel your pain.......

Sadly, you can't fix stupid.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I have the opposite - a couple of cairns who bark their heads off whenever J walks past, and the owner comes out, shouts at them and whacks them with a ball chucker :roll:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Oh no :( Some people just exist to wind you up, I swear! :lol:
ZaraD

Post by ZaraD »

I know how you feel, this is why Sampson has been attacked twice because people say there dogs are friendly or just want to play and then they attack Sampson, I don't call that playing :roll: .

Were we are there are loads of bull breeds off leash and roam free and it annoys me, sometimes when it's been just me walking iv nearly got attacked twice , I only didn't get attacked beacuse I cross the road and get as far away as possible but I stay calm at all times and don't run and the dog just stared at me until I'm out of sight. I don't even know what to do if I did get attacked , it's the only thing I'm scared of is getting attacked by a dog.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Seems I am pretty lucky where I live. One incident with a Lurcher treating Merlin like a rabbit, but at least it was muzzled. Rest is just teenage boy dog drama, all noise no blood.
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

Knew I shouldn't have made this post, life has a way of kicking you in the backside. Took Merlin out briefly this morning for a 30min romp between thunder storms. Firstly we ran into a Caparthian Shepherd Dog who, well, behaved like one and prolly wanted to eat him. I know the owners though (they have two lovely GSDs) and they had the Shepherd on a lead (Merlin went to say hi to their off lead GSD) so I trust they know what they're doing. :lol:

After that we ran into a Border Terrier and a Border Collie, both off lead. Merlin greeted the terrier perfectly... Then the BC decided to try and start a fight. Its owners got it under control really quickly, which was a credit to them, but I don't think it should be off lead in the first place. Merlin, then, true to form was very OTT and he redirected onto the Border Terrier. He didn't bite or fight, but he basically turned into an obnoxious bully and stood really tall, when the terrier moved away Merlin followed really growling. Obviously we got him away asap, this lasted mere seconds, but it now has me worried.

Then, just after that, two Rotties! URGH. They were on lead and didn't like dogs, Merlin looked at them and started growling. Nothing happened, we called him away (we were fairly far away anyway). I hope he hasn't started thinking behaving like a bully is a good thing to do, he's such a happy carefree dog with dogs generally.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

NODNOD but see thats why i warned Kirbys fur parents away from doing the loop walk and why i wont take bax by to see him anymore. i dont want to ruin the poor puperoni. hes so friendly but if he starts running into mean dogs.....
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Lotsa, that was a good demonstration of the escalating nature of stressful experiences plus redirected aggression. Pretty normal and actually you both handled it really well. A couple of quiet days and he'll be back to Joe Cool.

Shalista - good call. Well done.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Lotsaquestions

Post by Lotsaquestions »

@Nettle Yeah, he definately redirected. I sort of don't blame him though, when the BC went for him the BT was also right there pushing into Merlin despite Merlin being afraid. I was lucky though that despite Merlin's carry on, the BT didn't react at all. He just acted like Merlin was an annoying growly fly.
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

WOW. this is not gonna end well. my bro is moving to italy for a year for the army and just posted that he needs someone to baby sit zuri for a YEAR. Someone needs to take on a 2year old Rhodesian Ridgback....for a year...... and like she's lovely? but girls got some energy......