Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

JudyN

Re: Vent!

Post by JudyN »

That sounds awful :-( I hope you feel much better tomorrow!

Is it safe to take cocodamol with morphine? Cocodamol turns into morphine in your body so it means you're getting a double whammy....
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

JudyN wrote:That sounds awful :-( I hope you feel much better tomorrow!

Is it safe to take cocodamol with morphine? Cocodamol turns into morphine in your body so it means you're getting a double whammy....
I did not know that... first time I've ever taken morphine, and didn't know that about cocodamol either. But I took it at around 1.30-2pm, and I'm still okay, so think I got away with it! The nerve has been removed now, so normal painkillers should be fine for the rest of the treatment. He said I might have some pain, but nothing like it was before.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Cocodamol has paracetamol in too, so you can't take them together either - I think there's more of a risk of overdosing with paracetamol as it can be dangerous at quite low dosages.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

JudyN wrote:Cocodamol has paracetamol in too, so you can't take them together either - I think there's more of a risk of overdosing with paracetamol as it can be dangerous at quite low dosages.
Thank you love, I knew about paracetamol and cocodamol, so wouldn't combine them. I won't be taking any more morphine either, that was a one off because the pain was so extreme, I felt like I was going to faint. I literally hit the floor and felt my vision blur when it hit, and mum takes it for her back, so I asked for some. I haven't taken any pain killers at all since then, the anaesthetic for the root canal took care of the rest, and while that's mostly worn off now, the only pain is some tolerable soreness in my jaw from having the actual work done, I don't think I'll need anything tonight.

If there's pain between now and the next appointment, I'll stick to ibuprofen or paracetamol. I had no idea toothache could be so bad! Or so sudden. It's my own fault though. The tooth broke two months ago, and after the initial appointment, I got caught up in life stuff and didn't go back for the root canal I was meant to have then. It was on the to-do list, but I wasn't in pain so it didn't feel urgent. I'll never delay treatment again!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I had an abscess once, not as painful as your tooth by the sounds of it, but not nice. I had some codeine for it - I needed a course of antibiotics to deal with the infection before they could give me the root canal treatment - woke up in the night in pain but managed to dream that I took the codeine... then I lay there for a couple of hours wondering why the pain was still getting worse, and worse,and worse.... :lol:
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

JudyN wrote:I had an abscess once, not as painful as your tooth by the sounds of it, but not nice. I had some codeine for it - I needed a course of antibiotics to deal with the infection before they could give me the root canal treatment - woke up in the night in pain but managed to dream that I took the codeine... then I lay there for a couple of hours wondering why the pain was still getting worse, and worse,and worse.... :lol:
OW! You made me laugh, and laughing hurts! :wink:

Might not be that my pain was worse, might be that you're less wimpy than I am! I can't believe you dreamt you'd taken it... LOL! I bet you waited the full four hours to be totally sure though!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

few pains are as bad as toothache.

I have found it very helpful to put a few drops of Tea Tree oil in warm water and swish the liquid round my mouth. It feels odd but it doesn't hurt. Don't swallow it though!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

Tea tree oil is magic :D I use it for all kinds of stuff
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

I had a tooth that had a very ancient and deep filling that came out, then of course the tooth fell apart and got infected. I found bourbon to be a highly effective numbing agent. :lol: I did end up having that tooth removed completely, and the dentist gave me something better than borbon for the pain. :wink:

Incidentally, for anyone interested, yarrow is supposed to be good for dental pain. Chew on it, and it makes your mouth numb. It's also anti-inflammatory. It's also good for stopping bleeding, so for little ones losing baby teeth or having a cut lip, yarrow is highly effective. :) Give teens cutting their wisdom teeth a nice bit of yarrow root to chew on.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
master2

Post by master2 »

Reading all this is making me nervous. Iv got to go to the dentist tomorrow for a few fillings how many a few is I don't know but I'm really nervous as I hate going to the dentist. He said that tow of my back teeth need to come out but he wanted to do the fillings first.

I know I'll be fine but I'm just so scared :? :(
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Poor you, Master2 - it will all be over soon, and better when looked back on. Hope it isn't anything like as worrying as you anticipate.

I used to hate going to the dentist but now I have a lovely dentist and don't mind going at all. Perhaps you can find one you like better.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
master2

Post by master2 »

Thanks Nettle.

I think its because I'm not in any pain so don't know if I should have them done or not incase I feel worser after and I was not in pain before?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Tooth pain can pop up very suddenly! In the US an emergency dentist appointment is more expensive than a scheduled one.

I know I am guilty of procrastinating dental care too. I have a dark grey spot on my tooth that appears to be under the surface but I uhhhh, haven't gone to the dentist yet. It's been there for a year. I really ought to go :oops:
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

master2 wrote:Thanks Nettle.

I think its because I'm not in any pain so don't know if I should have them done or not incase I feel worser after and I was not in pain before?
If my experience has taught me anything, it's to go now, before there is pain! I didn't go back for my scheduled root canal, and that agonising pain would have been prevented if I'd just gone when I was meant to. Learn from my mistake! Get it done before the nerve is involved.

If it helps, I really like the dentist I've found now as well. He was great, didn't hurt me at all, and despite all the horror stories I've heard about root canals, he did it quickly and painlessly. I go back tomorrow for the crown to be fitted and a general checkup, also need a filling on a different tooth and a scale and polish, but the worst is over now and it wasn't that bad at all (apart from the pain before I got there.) so I'm not worried about these appointments.

My tips, from someone with a dentist phobia and an anxiety disorder:

Find a dentist you like.
Try to make an appointment for the morning, rather than later on. Gives you less time to fret about it or potentially change your mind about going.
Set up something easy you'll enjoy for afterwards. Like for me, a shopping trip, a movie and pamper night, something to reward myself for going, and to concentrate on rather than thinking about what's going to happen.
Rope someone into going with you for moral support if necessary/wanted. No shame! It can help.
Breathing exercises and relaxation techniques. Find a happy place in your mind to go to while he/she does the work. Don't think about what they're doing, think about happy things/plan for the future, concentrate on something else.

Lastly, trust. They don't want to hurt you. They want to do their job, which is to give you the best possible oral health with the minimum amount of discomfort. I tell them outright I'm afraid of dentists/dental work, and they all understand and most are kind. If they aren't, go to someone else.

We'll both be going tomorrow, so meet back here afterwards? You'll be fine! Sending hugs :D
master2

Post by master2 »

Thanks Scarletsci

Iv been iv only just got home I'm in the UK my appointment was at 10:10am.

When I got there I asked how many needed to be filled and he said 4 but there all small. I told I was really nervous and I was actually feeling sick so he said he could see I was stressed and said let's rebook for another day as your to stressed to have them done and he did not want me to have a panic attack while he was filling my teeth but he said why don't I go through the procedure with you so when you comeback you know what I'm doing.

He said there is no rush to fill them and I was not just filling your teeth your left wisdom tooth has grown into another tooth which I already knew as I am in a little pain with that so he said when you come back we will start by taking both wisdom teeth out as your right one is only just coming through and I don't want that to cause any damage like your left has. Then you can come back after a few weeks and we can fill your 4 teeth in then. Rather than do it all at once.

He also said that I won't start anything until you are comfortable for me to start the procedure. And he understands me being nervous.

After him explain things I did feel better but I still felt ill so left so I'm booking another appointment on Friday to have my wisdom teeth out and then a few weeks later I'll have my fillings done. I'm not as nervous now as he was very kind and sympathetic with me.

He's also told me I need to use an electric toothbrush as by the look of my teeth I'm brushing to hard and not reaching all the tooth and he said an electric would be able to reach in them places a Manuel cant. I asked him what is causing my holes as I do brush and floss twice a day he said sugar. Which makes sense as I'm addicted to chocolate so he's told me to stop eating it between meals but he said fruit and fizzy drinks are just as bad he said to cut down on the amount I eat and to only eat sugar at meal times. Which I do snack a lot on chocolate :wink:

At least I'm not as scared now for when I go back :D