Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ari_RR

Re: Vent!

Post by Ari_RR »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe "NEED SPACE, HAVEN'T HAD BREAKFAST YET" would be a better message?
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

:lol: I suppose that's what I do mean Nettle! We went to the vets about it. He was sedated and it was all properly flushed out. They couldn't find a reason beyond 'some dogs just have dirty ears' so we're just dealing with the symptom until I come up with more ideas. Glands and sinuses all okay so bit of a mystery. In his defence, I was up for work but he's not impressed with the ungodly hour on the best of days, let alone when I want to clean his ears.

That really sucks Nettle, why can't people just learn to leave things alone. Admittedly, when I went to observe an agility show yesterday there was a dog in a yellow vest on the other side of a barrier which we went close to (ignoring the dog) to speak to the owner. Apparently her vest and muzzle get ignored all the time and she finds there's a real lack of dog savvy people. Had the dog been on our side of the barrier and looking more worried I wouldn't have gone near but the dog seemed used to the atmosphere (we watched it compete too) and we were mostly hidden.

Erica, sounds a nightmare with the gaming system. Cardboard is probably your easiest option but I'd be too lazy to move it to play!
Shalista

Post by Shalista »

My sister has a chihuahua and she was warned when she got him that he would need lots of exercise because bad back legs run in his family. She kept him locked in her room and never walks him. When she realized that he could no longer hop out onto the roof to go potty she put a box there for him to jump up. He can't jump up on things anymore or go for long walks. I've offered to walk him for her with Bax or even just take him to the vet ( i offered to pay) just to get his legs checked but she said he was fine the way he was. He's only 5 and its breaking my heart. I can only pray he's not in pain :(

Why do people get dogs when they aren't willing to care for them?!?!?!??!?!??!?!??!?!?!?! :evil:
Baxter (AKA Bax, Chuckles, Chuckster) Rat Terrier, born 01/16/13
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Bad dog walk today in my favourite woods :? We were dog-bombed by a huge group of assorted dogs - maybe a professional dog walker but rather early for that. One had a yellow bandana on. If your dog can't take it, don't let him dish it out.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Why in the world would someone let a dog with a yellow bandana go tearing around off lead? :shock:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Dottie is the sort who needs to wear yellow, but when I've let her off lead, it was always in a remote area where there aren't any other dogs.
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Gahhh that is infuriating. MiMi can have a roam on a pretty long lead but no way is she at a point where she could be off lead. If the dog can't handle it, don't push it :evil:
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

*huge sigh* I am so sick and tired of the people in this town just letting their dogs poop everywhere and not picking it up! Someone actually let their dog poop on the sidewalk, didn't pick it up, and I stepped in it. :evil: Across the way, near some apartments, there is a place on the side of the road that is apparently the communal dog potty place for said apartment dwellers. It's just chock full of poop that no one bothers to clean up. What, they think that should be the city's job? It's just infuriating!
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I think Delta has a bit of SA after the surgery :( I'm waiting in the vets office while they're taking his drain out and he's whining quite a bit. He's also started barking for a few seconds after he finishes the food toy I give him when I have to leave.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Post by minkee »

JudyN wrote::x

On Facebook in the last few days I've seen pictures of a dog being strangled and blowtorched, a duck being torn apart by a group of people in some 'festival', and a GSD wth half his face blown off by a firework :( These have been posted by personal friends who care deeply about animal welfare, and who I love. I want to be able to read their posts and keep in touch with them on FB, I don't want to make them feel bad about posting things that are important to them and probably to many of their friends, but I really don't want to see these photos, which dwell on my mind :(

I won't even get started on the 'Like and share if you are not a racist' type posts.....
Do they share them from particular groups, Judy? Because you can choose to hide posts from specific groups, so even if they share them you won't see them, but you also won't have to block or ignore the person outright
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

minkee wrote:Do they share them from particular groups, Judy?
No, I block the sources when I can, but they can come from anywhere - and sometimes come from sites where I might want to see other stuff. The GSD was from a petition on Change.org about fireworks - to be fair my friend probably didn't even realise it would appear when he selected 'share on Facebook'.

I haven't had many recently, though - they seem to come in waves. Now I just get lots of 'Share and like if you love your mother/your dog/chocolate/want a cure for cancer/world peace/etc.....'
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

How can people be so blind?? We live down a cul-de-sac so you can only get down from one side. You pass our window to get to the door. There is a big sign in said window saying no trick or treaters as it upsets the dogs and a woman with a huge bunch of kids knocks on! Then had the cheek to say it was because the sign (which lots of other people saw) was hidden! :evil: I wouldn't mind but I was actually waiting for someone to arrive so we actually answered it.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Next year, put a chair out at the end of the walkway before they can get close enough for the dogs to sense them, and set a big bowl of candy on the chair. If you want to, put a sign that says "Please take one." Once the candy is all gone, just turn off all the lights, inside and outside. Go in a backroom and watch a movie with the dogs. It works for us!
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

That sounds an excellent plan! Unfortunately, our front door opens onto the street so it's not really an option to put anything out as it's no longer our property and if it's in front of our house the dogs will know there's people there. Thankfully, it was only one set of people so it did seem to work pretty well. I do need to work on their general door reactivity but as we don't often have visitors (and to be frank I hesitate to encourage visitors) I keep putting it off.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Talking Pet Bow Tie - I'm not even going to stick a link in but you can find it via Google - Basically it's a plastic bow tie that attaches to the dog's collar and when you press a remote control it says things like 'Can I sniff your dog's bum?' or 'I don't bite' :?

Has anyone even stopped to consider how the dog feels about having a disembodied electronic voice appearing right under his head at random moments? :evil: Or what he'll make of everyone turning to look at him in amazement, laughing, and responding to him in unintelligible ways? :evil: I wouldn't be surprised if the dog could feel a vibration too.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009