Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ckranz

Re: Vent!

Post by ckranz »

A few weeks ago I was in a huge argument with a non positive reinforcement based trainer who insisted that certain names collars (you can guess) are not painful when used properly. I am just so sick of these idiots. He complains that positive training requires to carry food around constantly and of course if you run out or forget your treat that somehow your dog will just not listen. I asked how well his dogs listened when not wearing their special collars....never got the reply. My won troop of puppers though have made me proud.

We have a huge dog park with a beach on a small island. Its wonderful to walk both Apollo and Khan off leash along the beach, especially at Sunset. I never have any problems recalling them and with Khan I have to call him when passing children. I know he still has some issues and I refuse to let some small child frighten him. He always comes and sits so I can put his leash on. We walk pass and then he is free once again. The get up on rocks and pose for me...heck I don't even carry a squeaker toy let alone food rewards anymore. It we come across fish carcasses or lobsters, crabs and such a simple "leave it" and "let's go" and they move right along with me. Again no food rewards, only my praise and pats. I am proud of how my dogs have turned out using only positive rewards based methods of training.

I still have yet to find many dogs in the general public who are trained by specific collar types, that continue to walk on leash nicely, recall consistently, leave something perceived as scrumptious on command. Certainly there are those involved in police protection sports and work that do train on and off collar, but that is certainly a small minority even among coercive methods trainers.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Nettle wrote:It's not like me to feel like giving up, but I feel 'changing the world one person at a time' isn't working right now. :?
Don't forget to add the people whose worlds you ARE changing! Breeze still has his knackers and that is all down to you! It's very tempting to buy into the idea that a quick snip would make everything better when you're in the midst of the "bad stuff", and without a Nettly voice-of-reason I think I would have done it by now, or at least chemical castration.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thank you, Minkee. (((((((((HUG))))))))
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
katej215

Post by katej215 »

minkee wrote:Nettle wrote:
It's not like me to feel like giving up, but I feel 'changing the world one person at a time' isn't working right now.

Don't forget to add the people whose worlds you ARE changing!
Exactly!! What is it they say?...out of a hundred positive comments, it's our human nature to focus in on the one or two negative ones :? ..Seriously Nettle, you'll never know how much of an impact your words of wisdom have had over the years on me and my dogs life. I am sure you have changed many people's way of thinking towards their dog that you are not even aware of.... :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thank you kate. I really appreciate that.

Today I saw a client whose dog is a land-shark but has been making good progress. Client had to go abroad suddenly and left dog with professional doggy carers who keep their charges together indoors and out like one great big happy family :? this was done without my input, and it is their dog not my dog after all. I was less than thrilled when I heard, but client (who is lovely) had checked them out and was sure every care would be taken. When owner came to collect dog, she was assured that the dogs had played happily with each other.

Dog has bite marks all over her face, which owner didn't find until she was home.

Client does not wish to take matters up with 'doggie carers' - she just won't go there again.

Sigh.

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Nettle wrote:It's not like me to feel like giving up, but I feel 'changing the world one person at a time' isn't working right now.
don't loose sight of what you are able to do here. you may not always see the end result, but I know you have made a difference here.

for example, your message about being safe around dogs, protecting our dogs, and listening to your dog. these concepts are helping me help a pit mix that was under socialized and basically didn't know how to deal with the world. the first walk I took him on, we got about 15 minute before his panic kicked in and it was turn tail and run for home. that was about 2.5 months ago. to day, he is getting some semi off leash time (he is still dragging a long line behind) to just run as much or little as he wants. he is exploring the world around him vs just being on super high alert. This last Wednesday we took him to the beach and he greeted people, sniffed bushes, said hi to a couple dogs, even play bowed to the waves.

He almost never takes treats on the walks, so "traditional" counter conditioning/classical conditioning with food isn't an option at this time. BUT keeping him safe is, stepping in front of the on coming dog. letting him choose to go on more walks or less and return home if he isn't "feeling it" all that is working and making an impact on this dog for the better.

In class, being safe pays off constantly, particularly puppy class. making a conscious effort in my movements to not be scary, overwhelming, rude etc. pays off all the time to the point I can't get some puppies to leave me alone and work with their people.

things you said "clicked" with me. they are helping me help other dogs. each dog I help, that is one more example out there and thus one more person who will give non fear/pain/force methods another try in the future.

do not doubt that you are making a difference.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Thank you Jacksdad. I am so delighted that you are using what Jack came to teach you to help other dogs.

Yesterday I went to a dog show that was run by a rescue, so there were lots and lots of rescue dogs there.

How they got through the day without a major fight I do not know. People were trailing dogs around on extending leads, letting dogs get in other dogs' faces, letting dogs challenge other dogs (most were of fighting ancestry) and I had a full-time job stopping people allowing dogs to 'say hello' on their extending leads to our little group of dogs that were lying down quietly out of the way. All nice caring owners who hadn't a clue and obviously no help from the rescue either. And most dogs were so fat that it was bordering on cruelty. So sad.

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I'm not sure if this should go here or in the Funnies thread...

On Supervet a few days ago, the narrator said 'It takes about six weeks to train a puppy' :shock:

Six weeks? So if you get a pup at eight weeks, by the time that pup is 14 weeks old it is perfectly behaved and your job is done? Oh, I wish :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

:x

On Facebook in the last few days I've seen pictures of a dog being strangled and blowtorched, a duck being torn apart by a group of people in some 'festival', and a GSD wth half his face blown off by a firework :( These have been posted by personal friends who care deeply about animal welfare, and who I love. I want to be able to read their posts and keep in touch with them on FB, I don't want to make them feel bad about posting things that are important to them and probably to many of their friends, but I really don't want to see these photos, which dwell on my mind :(

I won't even get started on the 'Like and share if you are not a racist' type posts.....
Erica

Post by Erica »

Could you ask them to share the links without pictures? I know that's an option on Facebook now. That way they can still talk about these things but they won't be as disturbing to see as you're going through.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It could be worth a try - thanks. Though they might say that people are more likely to ignore the issues then :?
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Laufey's ear is bothering him again :evil: It was fine last night but this morning (at 5am I might add!!) I was cleaning it out because he kept scratching and shaking his head. It just really annoys me that there's no reason for it. I don't think it's an allergy thing (just one ear and no other signs) and it's not even all the time. Gonna use the cleaning solution once a day and then thornit once a day too and see if we can clear it up some. Doesn't help that the solution is meant to be squirted in his ear but he absolutely hates it so I have to clean it out with cotton wool instead :(
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It isn't that there's no reason for it - what you mean is you don't know the reason for it :wink:

Maybe something is right inside his ear. Has your vet looked? Checked his glands and sinuses?

Good for you for continuing the treatment - even at that unholy hour of the day.

Erica

Post by Erica »

Delta's ear has been bothering him too, though that might be because I skipped a week of cleaning. :/ I normally do ear cleaning on Sunday, but last week I plucked and meant to clean a couple days later...but definitely forgot until yesterday. His ears are clean now, at any rate. They were very earwax-covered yesterday. :oops:

If it continues even with cleaning I'd get a vet check, maybe sooner than later if this has been going on for a bit.

Delta seems to have started turning on one of the gaming systems by accident. x3 it has a very sensitive button that you don't even press to turn it on, so his tail wagging by it makes it think it ought to start up. Gonna have to put some cardboard in front of it or something, haha!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Today I was at a dog show.

One dog has a yellow vest with "I NEED SPACE" on it in big black letters. Man came by and read it out loud. Owner explained yes, he really does need space.

Man bent down and fussed dog, which looked very uncomfortable but didn't do anything. And the owner didn't intervene.

Ye gods and little apples. :shock: