Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Erica

Re: Vent!

Post by Erica »

Hooves do smell awful :lol: but the dogs love them so much...
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

Erica wrote:Hooves do smell awful :lol: but the dogs love them so much...
tell me about it! It's practically under my nose now. The things we do for our dogs :roll:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

On our way home down the trailway today we saw ahead of us the border collie who hates Jasper (who has never wronged her). We walked at snail's pace to give them a chance to move on quickly and keep plenty of distance, but her owner walked at the speed of a snail with a bad foot, and of course not putting her on lead. She came racing back for a snark at Jasper so I let him off lead so he didn't feel so trapped (I'm very bad at remembering to yell at the other dog but in my defence when I do they usually ignore me anyway :oops: ). She went back to her owner who finally restrained her and I led my rather worried lad past her. As I strode on as fast as I could, he called out 'It's a shame you can't let him off, then he'd bite her and she'd leave him alone.' Yeah, that's plan :roll:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

JudyN wrote:On our way home down the trailway today we saw ahead of us the border collie who hates Jasper (who has never wronged her). We walked at snail's pace to give them a chance to move on quickly and keep plenty of distance, but her owner walked at the speed of a snail with a bad foot, and of course not putting her on lead. She came racing back for a snark at Jasper so I let him off lead so he didn't feel so trapped (I'm very bad at remembering to yell at the other dog but in my defence when I do they usually ignore me anyway :oops: ). She went back to her owner who finally restrained her and I led my rather worried lad past her. As I strode on as fast as I could, he called out 'It's a shame you can't let him off, then he'd bite her and she'd leave him alone.' Yeah, that's plan :roll:

:shock: great plan there, definitely let Jasper bite her :roll: *cough* maybe let him bite the guy *cough* you just can't win with some people. I have to say, I feel for you with forgetting to shout at dogs; I don't either. Partly because I'd be horrified if someone shouted at Laufey, partly because I'm too busy trying to calmly get him to make more room and partly because I forget... I swear I could forget my head some days :mrgreen:

My vent of the day; why is Laufey so embarrassing?! We took him to a little wooded area near the zoo for about 3/4 of an hour before our vet appointment where he cocked his leg constantly - he did not need to pee... So what does he do in the vets? pee on the "caution wet floor" sign! He looked very impressed with himself too :lol:
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

delladooo wrote: So what does he do in the vets? pee on the "caution wet floor" sign!
He thought it was an instruction, not a warning :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, one one occasion I did shout at a dog who was making friendly (unlike the collie) advances, Jasper decided that that must mean he needed to shout at it too - if I hadn't shouted, he might have been absolutely fine with it! But yes, like you, my priority is to stay calm and keep Jasper calm.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

JudyN wrote:
delladooo wrote: So what does he do in the vets? pee on the "caution wet floor" sign!
He thought it was an instruction, not a warning :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually, one one occasion I did shout at a dog who was making friendly (unlike the collie) advances, Jasper decided that that must mean he needed to shout at it too - if I hadn't shouted, he might have been absolutely fine with it! But yes, like you, my priority is to stay calm and keep Jasper calm.
ahahaha obviously, why didn't I think of that :D
Ahhh, I'm not sure what Laufey would do if I shouted at some random dog but I'm not in a hurry to find out; he'd probably get more bouncy
Sanna

Post by Sanna »

I used to always forget I could shout at other dogs, but have very successfully re-trained myself in the last few weeks :twisted:
So far I've had great results with the dogs, less so with the owners- it seems bellowing WHOA at someone else's crazed off lead darting-towards-you-at-lightning-speed dog is not the done thing in these parts.. :lol:
It works wonders to get owner to promptly come and retrieve said dog tho, whilst simultaneously glaring at me to convey deep dissatisfaction and concern that I must clearly be some psychopathic dog-hating control-freak maniac.. ;)
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I went to a meeting with dog park peops last night. The main topic of discussion was appropriate rules and regulations for visitors of the dog park. Also what constitutes or is perceived as aggression or "normal" dog behavior. I need that banging head on wall emotecon. I will say no more.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
mansbestfriend

Post by mansbestfriend »

If the owner of the BC was even half serious, that's shocking. Saw an awful incident a while ago where an *on-leash* adult larger dog, bit a rushing bullying adult smaller dog with owners of smaller dog nowhere in sight, and I'd rather not see or hear anything like it again.

Wrapping dogs in cotton wool isn't the answer, but sometimes it makes me so disappointed when people don't take responsibility for their own dogs' safety, let alone others'.
The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single Sit.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

I have two vents and it's only half 9 :oops:

First off, if you take your dog to the same park every day, let it off every day and it then proceeds to run off to the SAME SPOT and eat what it is that people have left for the birds (I think it was once bread it now just looks a health hazard with bird poop) whilst ignoring you but you STILL WALK OFF with other dog walks you need to work on this!! Drives me insane because Laufey spots the dog, gets very excited and wants to say hi :roll: IF the dog ever leaves the not-food then it comes running full pelt to say hi, if I'm lucky the guy notices. This is one situation where I very firmly tell Laufey to leave it and keep our distance - the dog isn't nasty but I feel like he shouldn't be allowed to say hi to everyone who sees us and comes over. I'm mortified if Laufey approaches on lead dogs and would rather Laufey not. I'm not sure if dogs follow "he does it so I can too" idea but he seems to at home so will continue to assume he does; hence no greeting on lead dogs.

My second rant is mostly about myself but I need to complain somewhere so here goes. Laufey is now allowed to sleep in my room with me after upstairs being off limits. I don't go up much in the day and if I do it's usually to the toilet but Laufey has got it in his head that my going upstairs means he can go upstairs. Just no. He's taken to trying to get past the gate whenever it's open and make a beeline for upstairs :roll: BUT he doesn't do it to mum or brother unless I'm already upstairs. I'd say separation anxiety but once I'm gone there isn't an issue, he just wants to come with. Crazy fool.
bendog

Post by bendog »

When the dogs have been walked twice, played with, and fed, and are still whinging at you
:(

Trying to ignore it because they need to learn that I cannot entertain them every second of the day when they get bored, but at same time, feeling bad for not giving them what they want/need, they had a big dinner so any more training with food is out for the day, and can't walk them because they only ate 20 mins ago :/
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sometimes I think I just can't take it any more. :evil:

This is the second time in just over a week that someone has to 'get rid of' their puppy because it is ripping up the children's toys. They've 'tried everything'.

But evidently not keeping the children's toys away from the pup *sigh* and giving it any attention, exercise or training at all.

I'm getting too old for this.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

I read an interesting blog on this very topic last night. The author has not gotten rid of the dog, but was advising people that they should have either children or a dog and not both together, because the dog will get the short end of things every time. I can see this to a certain extent. Mothers are naturally protective of their children and while loved, dogs don't quite make it into that category given one over the other. But obviously many families are able to make having both together work and it can be a great source of early learning for the child. One just has to have the motivation and desire to proactively guard both dog and child and insure safe and proper interactions. Sadly there seem to be many people who lack that motivation and desire. Their priorities are elsewhere and the dogs may well be better off with new owners who have different priorities.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
delladooo

Post by delladooo »

MPbandmom wrote:I read an interesting blog on this very topic last night.
Was this blog article about how if you're a young couple who aren't ready for kids who are thinking "oh let's get a dog" you shouldn't do it because when you have kids you will basically ignore the dog completely in favour of the kids? If it is, I read it the other day and was disgusted with how the author portrayed the whole thing :(
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's pretty well known. The 'soppy hormones' experienced in pregnancy make some women want a puppy to tide them over until the real :roll: baby arrives. When it does, they are so time and energy-poor that the dog slips right off the list. Of course, the pup is at its neediest then too.

You do get women who plan ahead like Bendog is doing, but they are few. I wouldn't ever sell a pup to a pregnant woman, or a couple who are trying for a family. Frankly, I don't recommend people get a pup until the children are at school. Some parents make a good fist of it but the great majority do not.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS