Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

emmabeth

Re: Vent!

Post by emmabeth »

People have been kicked via email - I don't think it is the length of the thread, I think theres a gremlin somewhere as I had a similar issue with two spam threads a day or so back - the board kept telling me they didn't exist therefore I could not delete them, yet they showed up on the normal view and via the mod control panel (where I could then delete it from!)

The 'what have your dogs done today' thread is the same, I can actually look at the posts.... via the mod control panel... but there is no content within them! Weird, 300+ pages of blank posts!

Anyway was about time we had a new one, but I am concerned as I wouldn't want the content to vanish from some of the more important posts/threads we have! If anyone finds another, zap me a PM please! :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Erica

Post by Erica »

Old houses.

Cranky water heater that takes aaaages to start up (if it even does at all - took a 20 minute shower with 10 minutes waiting for the water to warm up before I just said "screw it" and jumped in).

Ants everywhere.

Worst thing?

Roaches everywhere.

Literally the only bug that I can not touch. Makes me sick just thinking about them. And they're in the kitchen and the bathroom, where I keep my food and my toothbrush, respectively, two things I REALLY don't want the ugly stinkers touching. :/
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I suspect roaches are among the meek who will inherit the Earth.....does anything deal with them?

We don't get much in the way of them over here, but suffer from those (insert adjectives of choice) clothes moths. Despite my best efforts (including putting my best-loved clothes in a freezer in summer) favourite garments are destroyed every year. :?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Erica wrote:Old houses.
That's not old houses it's unloved and (ack) dirty houses :shock:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
gwd

Post by gwd »

Vent............ guys that think placing a new roll of toilet paper on the back of the commode is the same as putting it on the spindle. Honestly, how hard is it to remove the empty cardboard tube and put a fresh roll on the dispenser??? Oh, and leaving the lid up. :twisted:

To make this dog related............ the dogs LOVE the empty cardboard tube!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

My lads will put the new roll on the spindle, gwd (only because it is hook-shaped so dead easy), but they are all incapable of taking the old inner downstairs to the recycling bin. If I don't pick it up it will lie in the middle of the toilet floor for days and they claim they hadn't noticed it.

Jasper's not interested in loo roll inners. Not unless they're converted into treat dispensers, anyway.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

gwd wrote:Vent............ guys that think placing a new roll of toilet paper on the back of the commode is the same as putting it on the spindle. Honestly, how hard is it to remove the empty cardboard tube and put a fresh roll on the dispenser??? Oh, and leaving the lid up. :twisted:

To make this dog related............ the dogs LOVE the empty cardboard tube!
That's funny - Trish seems to think that changing out the empty TP role is the man's job. Honestly, how hard is it to removed the empty cardboard tube (&c, &c...).

As far as the lid up - if a cat is 'the tiger that eats from your hand' then surely the dog is 'the wolf that drinks from your toilet'.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
gwd

Post by gwd »

Vent #2 for the day. Having a lovely dinner........... and then having your appetite killed by a particularly noxious dog fart emanating from underneath the table. My dogs don't typically have farting issues but this evening I swear I could see the green cloud and, dare I say it, almost taste it.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oh no, that is always terrible. Zeus is a horrible farter, but thankfully it's not often.

toilet roll vent: when someone leaves two squares on the roll. Enough that you think you're good - the roll's got a layer of white on it - but not enough to actually get the job done. (Thankfully, 75% of the time we've got a full roll on standby.)
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Does the forum look crazy to anyone else?? Big wall of text above each section?
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yup.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Me too.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

The hamsters must have fallen off the wheel :mrgreen:
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Erica

Post by Erica »

Nearly everyone I mention getting a puppy to asks one of two questions:
"WHY ARE YOU BUYING FROM A BREEDER? OMG EVIL" or "MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOT GETTING A DOG FROM A PUPPY MILL/IRRESPONSIBLE BREEDER."
Which, sure, both are points to consider (well, not the "all breeders are automatically evil" part, that's just ridiculous)...these people do generally know me, and heck, the ones that ask the second question tend to be people who went to breeders that I'd never buy a dog from. Just wears on the nerves a bit, answering over and over that I weighed the decision carefully, decided to look for a breeder and if I couldn't find the PERFECT one I'd start fighting with rescues who don't like me because I'm under 25, or single, or because our yard isn't attached to our house, or because -gasp- "your sister has a dog she hasn't spayed? AND YOU AGREE WITH HER?!"
gwd

Post by gwd »

Erica wrote:Nearly everyone I mention getting a puppy to asks one of two questions:
"WHY ARE YOU BUYING FROM A BREEDER? OMG EVIL" or "MAKE SURE YOU'RE NOT GETTING A DOG FROM A PUPPY MILL/IRRESPONSIBLE BREEDER."
Which, sure, both are points to consider (well, not the "all breeders are automatically evil" part, that's just ridiculous)...these people do generally know me, and heck, the ones that ask the second question tend to be people who went to breeders that I'd never buy a dog from. Just wears on the nerves a bit, answering over and over that I weighed the decision carefully, decided to look for a breeder and if I couldn't find the PERFECT one I'd start fighting with rescues who don't like me because I'm under 25, or single, or because our yard isn't attached to our house, or because -gasp- "your sister has a dog she hasn't spayed? AND YOU AGREE WITH HER?!"
The public relations efforts have done such a good job of promoting rescue and adoptions, that the decision to actually buy a dog from a planned litter has somehow become immoral. Those of us in the dog fancy experience this regularly.

By any chance have you seen the south park episode 'smug alert'? Many of the towns people start driving hybrid cars (brand name, PIOUS :lol: ) and the town is now in peril. although emission levels are down, people who drive hybrids spew "self-satisfied garbage" into the air, an emission called "smug", and South Park now has the second-highest levels in the country, after San Francisco. Well, that tone of voice....... the superior, smug, 'I rescued' comes off as if they're looking for a gold star on the refrigerator. Anyone that elects to buy purebred dog is, by some, tantamount to clubbing a baby seal.

The damn shame of it all is that recuse and adoption will always be necessary. And it's wonderful that people elect to go that route. However, I wonder if there would be a lot less need (fewer owner surrenders) if more people took the time to research specific breeds and selected good matches for themselves and their family. That is one advantage of a purebred is that there is a higher level of breed predictability.

Just because it's funny...........a south park clip

http://southpark.cc.com/clips/155193/thanks