Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

MPbandmom

Re: Vent!

Post by MPbandmom »

Today Sirius almost got whalloped over the head with a walking stick. :shock:

I'm sure it was one of those catch 22 situcatons. Older couple approached us along the trail. The man had a walking stick. We moved over to the side. I put one foot on Sky's lead where it was resting on the ground and told her to wait. OH moved Sirius off to the other side of the trail and had her sit. He had his hand on the lead at a position pretty close to her, but apparently didn't have it locked inside of the shorter lead section that I have attached to her lead. OH said hi to couple. Man said hi to OH and Sirius launched. Initially the lead slipped through OH's hand a little, but he quickly regained a firmer grasp. Not before Sirius had landed from the side of the trail to on the trail in front of the man giving him her best junk yard guard dog impression. :roll: :oops: Man responded by raising his walking stick up into striking position and holding it there, whereupon OH and man got into an argument about man's right to protect himself by hitting the dog if necessary. OH informed him it would not be necessary and he had better not hit the dog. OH managed to get Sirius reined in and couple continued on their way while we debated where to go next. I'm pretty sure the presence of the walking stick added to the man speaking is what set Sirius off. The man raising the walking stick in a threatening manner, didn't do anything to diffuse the situation. At the same time, I can't blame the man for raising the stick. OH had questionable control over a dog who appeared intent on attack. The fact that she has now grabbed the arm of a passerby, means she can no longer be considered to just give a very strong, but non contact warning to keep scary away.

Continuing on the trail would mean we would meet again unless they turned off onto the path through the woods to the other trail which is where they had originally come from. I went up ahead to scout things out and the couple went back down the trail through the woods. We walked one more loop and then got stuck a bit again. Sirius once again lunged towards a male passerby, but this time she was far enough off of the trail and OH had enough of a grip on her that she really didn't get far. OH apologized and passerby commented that he had one at home just like that. He then clarified to say not like that in looks, but in attitude.

At that, we returned to the van and drove to another generally quieter park that I tend to avoid when out by myself, because it is so quiet. The dogs were super excited to check out the smells of a new place and OH got a bit annoyed with Sirius' pulling, but she did settle down after a little while. Sky not so much. She was doing her best imitation of a mine sweeper.

While I am enjoying having the company of OH and the extended daylight hours so I can get the dogs out in the evening, I kind of miss the low numbers of people that brave the winter cold.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
gwd

Post by gwd »

I have to say that I think your OH was on the wrong side of the argument in this case. I can't blame the man for thinking that he needed to be proactive in defending himself and his wife. Especially given that Sirius has grabbed the arm of a passerby, the distance that she was moved off the path clearly wasn't far enough.......... otherwise, she'd not have been able to leap in front of them. Also, remember that some people are afraid of dogs.

Two lunges in the same walk tells me she needs more space...........i'd hate to see you facing a lawsuit or be forced to euthanize Sirius (depending on the dog bite laws in your area) if she lunges and pulls away from your hubby again. Remember, she doesn't have to actually do any damage for someone to decide that litigation is in order. ........it would then be up to you to prove in court that they were unharmed.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

I have to agree with Gwd, your husband was in the wrong on this one. Clearly the man needed a walking stick, not his fault. He only spoke because your hubby spoke to him first, also not his fault, and he only raised the stick, he didn't actually hit her. And had she attacked him, he would be well within his rights to defend himself. We've even suggested carrying walking sticks for that purpose on these very forums as an extra defense to protect our dogs if necessary. Your husband shouldn't have argued with him, that was really unfair. They've as much right to peacefully enjoy a walk as the rest of us, and while wanting to defend your dog is natural, an assurance that she won't be allowed to hurt him and an apology was far more in order. That you had one dog on each side, with one being distinctly aggressive must have been very frightening for them, feeling surrounded like that, and the fact your husband then had a go at him must have been horrible for him.

You have a powerful dog who you know has the potential to be dangerous - the fact she's bitten before proves that. The onus is on you both to make sure she can't threaten others.
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Thing is, I agree with you both GWD and ScarletSci. You will notice no angry faces in my post. I can't blame the man for raising the stick, I'm just miserable that we seem to be failing Sirius totally. We only seem to be making progress backwards. Working with her and having her so that she will look for a treat when she sees scary isn't resolving the issue of her at other times reacting poorly. For as far as we have come, we haven't really seemed to get anywhere. I am beginning to think we never will.

I hope the online course that I signed up for will have some different angle that we haven't tried that may do the trick. I fear that as long as OH insists that Sirius needs to spend time out in the yard, we are cancelling out whatever progress we may be making elsewhere. OH is going to watch the course video's with me, so at least he is willing to try. He loves her to pieces and would be devastated if something happened to her because of her behavior, as would I.

Today he took her for a walk by herself earlier in the day when things were quiet in the park. He reports that she is a different dog when out by herself. I have known for years that walking the two of them together was not an ideal situation, but I hoped that two handlers would resolve some of those problems. I was also looking forward to the prospect of having my husband accompany me on walks so that I could spend some quality time with him as well. Tonight, I walked Sky by myself. That may end up being how we have to do it. He walk Sirius during the day when things are quieter and me walk Sky at night. :(
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
gwd

Post by gwd »

MPbandmom wrote: I have known for years that walking the two of them together was not an ideal situation,
If it's any consolation, mine are also better when walked separately. Boy dog pulls much worse when he's competing for the front spot, baby girl NEVER pulls unless they're together. And believe it or not, when she doesn't have him around, she's way braver. It forces her to be self confident rather than looking to him.

I've just resigned myself to separate walks.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

gwd wrote:I've just resigned myself to separate walks.
just think, what great shape you will be.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Have you ever wondered whether the k itchen spammers ever get annoyed that their posts are getting buried under all the k itchen spam? :?
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

JudyN wrote:Have you ever wondered whether the k itchen spammers ever get annoyed that their posts are getting buried under all the k itchen spam? :?
I bet they wish we'd all just shut up with our dog nonsense! After all, spamming for k%tchens is what this site is all about, right?
bendog

Post by bendog »

Our next door neighbours are scared of dogs. For MONTHS every time I go out of the front door with the dogs the lady has been curtain twitching at us. At night, I sometimes take the dogs out one or two at a time for a bedtime wee on our front grass, instead of waking Sasha up traipsing everyone through the kitchen and letting them out the back which takes longer as they then wander about and sniff instead of a quick wee and come back in. And she is always at her window spying on us. And I always make sure the dogs stay within our garden boundaries.

Once or twice I have found dog poo on our front grass and although it is a minor annoyance, I've not thought too much about it, and even occasionally assumed it was one of ours we've missed. We live on a cul de sac, so not many dogs walking past.

Today I watched a jack russell from down the road, merrily saunter up, pee on our neighbours garden, and then on ours, before trotting back home. The guy does let his dog wander a bit (like I said, very quiet cul de sac) and although I would prefer him to keep an eye on the dog, and pick up any poo, I don't have a major issue. But I am assuming that the neighbours have also occasionally found poo on THEIR front grass, and assumed it was US! Which would explain why she watches me like a hawk (and never speaks).

I do understand why, but I hate the assumption that just because 5 dogs live here, we are automatically the guilty ones. We've been accosted by 3 different people round the block and accused of leaving dog poo everywhere and it is absolutely 100% NOT us.
gwd

Post by gwd »

Clearly with 5 dogs you are the poo problem! :lol:

The last time we were at the lake (rented houseboat) I was walking both pups up the beach. On the way back, boy dog did a dump in the sand right in front of another houseboat. I was bag-less at the time. ..........I didn't know anyone was in the houseboat but apparently they were in the living cabin having a cocktail. .........we were anchored about 100 yards down from them..........i walked the dogs back to our area, grabbed a bag and headed back to the pile for pick-up.

When I got back and had scooped it up, two men came out on the deck......... one of the guys said he'd earned $20 from his buddy when I'd walked off and left the poop.............. however, when I returned he'd lost the bet and his buddy was deemed the winner!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I have another cold. I feel like I might quite possibly go DED. I require sympathy, ideally in the form of cake, and no bl**dy k*tch*n spam!

In other news Rocky and Dilly think I should ALWAYS spend 18 hours out of 24 in bed with them, ideally with them under the duvet too. Idle old farts!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
gwd

Post by gwd »

emmabeth wrote:I have another cold. I feel like I might quite possibly go DED. I require sympathy, ideally in the form of cake, and no bl**dy k*tch*n spam!

In other news Rocky and Dilly think I should ALWAYS spend 18 hours out of 24 in bed with them, ideally with them under the duvet too. Idle old farts!
It sounds as if you have two good canine healthcare professionals! They know that puppy snuggles help fight off a viral infection!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

D'you suppose dogs are like onions and mop up the germs? :?: :idea:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

bendog wrote:I do understand why, but I hate the assumption that just because 5 dogs live here, we are automatically the guilty ones. We've been accosted by 3 different people round the block and accused of leaving dog poo everywhere and it is absolutely 100% NOT us.
I had some woman in Cornwall open her window as I walked past with Ted and shout "is your dog pooing in my yard" so I shouted back "are you leaving litter on the beach" and went on my way :lol: We have to stop this acceptance that all dog owners are responsible for all other dog owners. Yes, a sense of responsibility and community is nice but it's used against us far too much in a discriminatory way :evil:

Feel better Emmabeth, I'm sending you virtual cream tea with proper clotted cream :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

When we are not at our house in Maine, I know our neighbor lets her dog out off leash with no fence, and when we get back to Maine, I notice that there is dog poo in our yard which i know if from our neighbor. They were letting the dog run off and poo in our yard long soon after we had moved in and before we got Sandy.

That is one reason they are unhappy when we return since now, not only are we there to see their dog poo on our yard, but now we have our own dog.
So, when we are there, and we take a walk past their backyard, I let Sandy return the favor. The problem is that our front yard corresponds to their back yard with each of us with over half acre. So their dog leaves poo in our front yard, whereas Sandy and I go past their backyard. But, I have noticed that she also will be peaking out at us as we pass by their yard.

But, if they are letting their dog run wild on our yard, at least Sandy is on leash and leaves his packages at the very back by the road. Normally, I would be a nicer neighbor, but it may be childish, but I don't care. Obviously, they dont care what or where their dog poos, so we return the favor. It is only this one obnoxious neighbor.

Emmabeth, I hope you are feeling better soon.
Sending you )))hugs(((
Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09