Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DianeLDL

Re: Vent!

Post by DianeLDL »

Sabrina wrote:
minkee wrote:Diane, I think your definition of 'warm weather' and the definition us Brits have is probably miles apart :lol: !
Haha, the ambiguities of the English language! Good point Diane about dogs in your neck of the desert :wink: It's different where I am - everyone has grassy yards. Yep, "warm weather/ fair weather" walkers for me means: It has been below freezing (before factoring in the wind chill :shock: ) and snowing and icing, and now it's warm and sunny so everyone is out!

Charley and I walk in all sorts of weather - his definition of "tolerable" is much wider than mine! :lol:
Yes, I agree that it is all relative as to where you are living and what the usual is. I also think that people with dogs get Spring fever like everyone else. Nice weather brings everyone out. At the park near us, right now they are having soccer (football to those not in N. America) practice and games for the kids. Parents come out with their dogs, and picnic with umbrellas, etc. So, it is definitely no place to take Sandy.

Sabrina, I don't know where you are, but this is one reason that we don't spend the winters at our house near Bangor, Maine. :D (By the way, Bangor, Maine is the home of the author of horror :evil: Stephen King.
He actually is the nicest guy and can be seen walking around town in his Bangor High School jacket. His favorite eateries include Burger King and Bagel Central where on a Sunday morning, he can be found with his wife Tabitha, also an author, his son, DIL, and grandkids. One morning, I was sitting there writing in my journal, and OH noticed that King was watching me and jotting down notes. :lol:
If you look him up online, you may even be able to see his house with a black wrought iron fence with bats in the design. :shock: We took my parents there when they visited us in May 2006, before we bought our house in Albuquerque.

But, OH would definitely prefer the winters in Maine instead of the heat here. As OH says, we go from winter to Summer and skip Spring in Albuquerque. He HATES the heat and the people who come outside when it gets warm.

But, this time of year in Maine is called "Mud & Black Fly Season". All the snow is melting and creating mud. And from Mother's Day (2nd Sunday in May) to Father's Day (3rd Sunday in June) is when the huge black flies and mosquitos come out.

Up until last year, when my mom's dementia started getting worse, we drove to Maine from March to beginning of May. Instead, we stay in Albuquerque so we can visit my parents in May. We plan on taking mom out for Mother's Day.

I do miss seeing my forsythia and lilacs, though, that bloom in June. And even with the mud and muck, Sandy still prefers the green grass at our Maine home. We have a half acre of land, but a fence on only one side of the house that Sandy could easily crawl under.

Our particular town is rural and considered horse country. :D
Most Mainiacs (I love that term :lol: ) don't believe in fences except a couple of neighbors so their dogs can enjoy the outdoors safely. The majority of dogs in our neighborhood, though, either run around loose or tied to a post. What I really hate is that a large number of people end up using the "invisible fence" with their dogs wearing the electric collars. Ouch! :evil: :twisted:

Our next door neighbor hates when we show up as she can't let her dog run outside loose as he always ends up coming into our yard where Sandy on leash really reacts and goes totally bezerk.
(That is why we have found strange poo in our yard as their dog comes over to do his business, and the neighbors don't bother to check it out and pick it up. :mrgreen: :evil: )

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Diane, when you mentioned xeriscape I assumed it must be artificial grass and was going to have a vent about that - it's a good job I googled it first :lol: It's awesome to think you might end up in the next Stephen King novel - though if that were me I'd be reading them avidly and every time I came across some frightful murderous woman I'd start worrying it was based on me...... :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

JudyN wrote:Diane, when you mentioned xeriscape I assumed it must be artificial grass and was going to have a vent about that - it's a good job I googled it first :lol:
Judy,

Now, you know why poor Sandy has to deal with the stones that make up the xeriscape. In the summer sun, without shade, they could be hot enough to burn his paws, similar to walking on a sidewalk or asphalt. Also, they are uneven and various sizes.

What they do is cover the ground with plastic covering making holes for the sprinklers and to plant the bushes and trees. Then, the stones are spread out on top of the plastic and around the bushes and trees. This is a photo of our front yard with the cherry tree in bloom that I took in February. You can see the stones that are the same as in our backyard. So, you can see how uncomfortable it could be for any dog to walk on especially when hot.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

My current irritation is the low-life son of a flea-bitten, ratchet frackin', rat-fink, loser who dumped 4 or 5 huskies (we don't know for sure how many) in the middle of absolutely no-where in the State Park about 20 miles out from my house. All apparently young, healthy dogs, just dumped like so much wolf-bait.

I'm not the only one who would like to learn the identity of that alleged person - there is a special place in hell with his or her name on it, and the sooner it becomes occupied the better off our entire planet will be.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
Erica

Post by Erica »

"The owner was bit, I believe, when they were trying to hold the animal down" said Captain Goodman.
A local shelter released a dog with a bite history to a "balanced" or "relationship based" trainer (though who knows what the heck that means as they don't give any sort of straight answer about HOW they do anything on their site). The dog "turned" on the trainer during a session where they were doing something with food. Obviously I have no idea whether maybe the dog had a medical condition which could have complicated things further, but two weeks out of a shelter, with a bite history, does not sound like the time to plan a socialization party by inviting strangers from Facebook to meet in a public park so I'm kind of doubting the trainer's safety protocols and understanding of aggression, etc etc etc.

The dog was killed while police were responding to a 911 call - long story short, the dog bit three people, police got there and got him on a pole, but the officer felt like he was losing control so shot the dog. While a lot of the times, when you hear about police shooting dogs, it seems undeserved, in this case I don't fault the officers involved. Urgh.

Swanny, whoever abandoned those poor pups ought to be abandoned in the middle of a large state park themselves. :evil:
Last edited by Erica on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
gwd

Post by gwd »

Swanny1790 wrote:and the sooner it becomes occupied the better off our entire planet will be.
Shame he can't be helped along his journey. We all wish him speedy travels to that 7th circle of hell.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

gwd wrote:
Swanny1790 wrote:and the sooner it becomes occupied the better off our entire planet will be.
Shame he can't be helped along his journey. We all wish him speedy travels to that 7th circle of hell.

I'm heating the oil right now.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I HAVE to vent about the kitchen spam again, it's totally out of control. AND I have to actually start looking for a new kitchen soon (our kitchen in our new place needs replacing, for a million reasons, including it has NO kitchen drawers, how is that possible :shock: ). I'm going to make a point of NOT getting a kitchen from any of the spammers :lol:
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Is there any milage in posting what lousy kkk itch 'ens they all are and not to buy any from that source or will we get the kkk itsch en police round at dawn? :twisted:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Sadly not - im deleting them as fast as I can but as the database is full of their sig links that i can't remove, thats whats attracting more and more and more....

Sometimes, I have kitchen spam based nightmares!

My vent is - can someone KILL my gallbladder please - its doing my head in! The pain sneaks up on me as an annoying but very ignorable backache (and lets face it, who thinks 'gallbladder' when their back hurts a bit)...

Its just a dull niggly thing, which given i have a ton of back ache stuff anyway and trapped nerves and wobbly joints and all sorts of other random brokenness, I just ignore, because my life is about ignoring pain and getting on with life...

And then suddenly it sneaks around the front and goes AHAHAHA I WASNT BACK ACHE, SUCKER... and then im in agony and if I didn't notice before that happened, there is NO point taking painkillers, ill just t hrow them up again!

So - flying high on the tramadol AGAIN.. I can delete spam and waffle a bit but if i try getting in depth and sensible, i start getting a sort of text based typing motion sickness (its very unpleasant!)...
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
gwd

Post by gwd »

DianeLDL wrote: I do miss seeing my forsythia and lilacs, though, that bloom in June.
Diane, believe it or not, I saw a lilac bush in alb! I even made my friend stop (we were on our way to dinner) and did a deep inhale! Yes, I stopped and stuck my nose fully in some strangers bush..............

Hmmm, I wonder if that last comment will attract a 'different' sort of spam.......... perhaps it will be a welcome respite from the kitchen stuff! :lol:
gwd

Post by gwd »

emmabeth wrote:Sadly not - im deleting them as fast as I can but as the database is full of their sig links that i can't remove, thats whats attracting more and more and more....
emmabeth, on the forum that I moderate I not only delete the offending spam post, but I also go in and ban the user which eliminates them from the database. Is that possible with this forum?
minkee

Post by minkee »

I think they do get banned, gwd, but the vestiges of their profile remain, and with it their lousy signatures.

Roll on the new site!!
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

emmabeth wrote: I just ignore, because my life is about ignoring pain and getting on with life...
It's sucks right? and then people ask why you didn't notice your toe was falling off, well cause it feels like stuff is breaking all the time anyways so how was I to know this was different :roll:

Tramadol are horrible evil little things that I refuse to take due to how utterly ****ed up I feel on them. I do a combo of 2 lesser strength painkillers that do the job just as well but without feeling like you've taken the wrong thing at Woodstock (I was on them for over a year while waiting for surgery makes me feel icky just thinking about them)
emmabeth wrote:if i try getting in depth and sensible, i start getting a sort of text based typing motion sickness (its very unpleasant!)...
:lol: Sorry to laugh but it's a great description and I've never thought of it that way but it's totally like motion sickness (or it's evil twin cyber sickness). It's uber frustrating though ))))hug((((.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
gwd

Post by gwd »

minkee wrote:I think they do get banned, gwd, but the vestiges of their profile remain, and with it their lousy signatures.

Roll on the new site!!
That's the thing.......... for example baby blue, a recent spammer, still shows as 'registered' rather than banned

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=18028

That's why I mentioned banning rather than just deleting to get them off of the member rolls.........