Vent!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Anatine

Re: Vent!

Post by Anatine »

My vent from yesterday, walking Quorra and Stella through town, we moved up a little shopping court.
Literally 10 meters away from the high street was this dog tied up outside the kitchen of a restaurant. I didn't notice he was there at first, because I was talking to my girlfriend.
He lunged at Quorra, and lucky she jumped away. This little Beagle was so aggressive.
Foaming at the mouth, hackles up, lunging, growling, barking; it was so scary.
There was even a sign above this dogs bed that read "hi my name is Chester, please don't touch me because I am dangerous" and I could help but think, why is this dog unattended in a public place if he's that dangerous.
Where he lays, is a very public right of way, people are up and down all the time, what if a child got too close to that dog?
Argh, I just can't stop thinking about it, it was such a close call for us.
People are just so irresponsible.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Anatine wrote:...I didn't notice he was there at first, because I was talking to my girlfriend.
Yeah... There is a lesson to be learned here. When walking the dog(s) - need to scan the environment, 360 degrees around, watching for weird dogs, people, looking for dangerous stuff on the ground (broken glass), potential wild animals, cars, etc etc. it's hard work, but becomes second nature soon, and you will even develop superhuman abilities to see and hear and sense things that non-dog people will not. :roll:
Anatine

Post by Anatine »

Yeah, I should have known better.
Quorra is just so good and un-reactive, I'd become relaxed. Especially being in a place that at first glance was entirely empty. And last time walking down there, was dog free.
I understand that not everyone is as responsible as the people on this site, it's just so easy to forget.
But lesson learned, I definitely won't be walking the girls down there again and will be much more careful when entering new places in the future.

I just feel sorry for that Beagle, being put somewhere, for what appears to be a lot of the time (I mean, they had put a sign up, and he was one of the restaurant staff's dog), where he obviously isn't comfortable.
And looking back and seeing the owners 'correction', I can understand why that dog feels the need to defend himself.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Sigh -
a lady I know who walks and boards dogs didn't know what pyo or bloat were.

Now I do understand everyone has to learn and so on. But I would assume if you work with dogs you would have done at least some research. And would worry about leaving my dogs boarding with someone who knows so little (she gives rawhide chews and throws sticks too....)
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Along the same lines Bendog, I just stumbled across the Paul O'Grady for the love of dogs christmas special I'd recorded but forgotten to watch. There was a tiny, very elderly yorkie on there who was completely petrified and as a result reactive. The vet was a lot better than I expected him to be with her but still no one talked about her reaction coming from fear. Oh no, they talked about her being feisty and then laughed as she tried to "gum them" (no teeth left).

It wasn't horrific, and she was adopted by someone who worked at Battersea who developed a bond with her but I was just so p ssed off that this poor little dog, who was visibly shaking she was so scared, was laughed at for her fighting spirit :(
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

A vet emailed a rescue organisation saying that they would like to adopt a lurcher. They said that they had lots of sighthound experience, having owned many in the past and as they worked professionally with dogs they hoped they could skip some of the formalities, such as the application form and a home check. They rang the next day saying the same thing. They were told that the formalities were necessary, and were sent an application form.

This vet also writes for Dog Monthly, and has written a long article slagging off rescues in general and this rescue in particular for making it so hard to rehome dogs :x

I think this rescue insists that adopters need to have a garden with 6' fences and can't work away from home more than 4 hours (they may be flexible on this, I'm not sure), but this has come about purely because of the number of dogs they have adopted out who have subsequently escaped from the garden, or been returned because they have SA.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'm not impressed by the concept that being a vet automatically means being a good dog owner. You might as well say being a zookeeper does. Yes there are plenty of vets (and, I'm sure, zookeepers) that are great dog owners, but it isn't a given. And really anybody can phone up and claim to be anything - a home check is essential IMO.

Speaking as one :wink: who would not pass a home check in many dog rescue opinions. i don't neuter my dogs, they get the bare minimum of vaccinations, they don't go to classes, and I feed raw. Oh, and I work them.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

ClareMarsh wrote:It's a shame I only just found out about the hoover, we had 3 :shock: a few weeks ago as the vendor of our new place left 2 behind, you could have come and got one or both of them but we've rehomed them.
OOoo, look at me quoting myself :lol:

We've still got a spare hoover, and an upright Dyson that's powerful enough to suck the carpet off your floor at that :lol: It's not in perfect condition but if you want it and can come get it/find a way to get it from London to you then you're welcome to it. Have also messaged you :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Yesterday, Sky and I took an about 4 mile round trip walk from our unit out to the pier in the center of town and back. We found 2 extra piles to clean up. In the afternoon, we took a shorter maybe mile and a half to 2 miles round trip in the opposite direction and Sky found 7 extra piles to clean up. some of them were so close together that I utilized only 3 bags to clean it all up. Today I have to go to the store and buy more poo bags because I am using my supply up picking up other people's dogs poo. :shock: This is the beach for crying out loud. Where young children run around barefoot. Are people really THAT irresponsible?! :shock: :evil: Apparently they are. :(
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
rachel540

Post by rachel540 »

My morning vent... Im on the morning shift for walkies this week and its been glorious weather, that perfect amount of cold freshness, the sun trying to break through, birds singing, flowers growing, etc, etc... And I've not seen one other person walking their dog, and living in an area where sometimes it feels like there are more dogs than people this is really disappointing and i feel sorry for the dogs, but great for me and Pep. Until today, the sun is beaming and what do you know.... Every man and his dog is out walking! I have Pepper off lead (the walk consists of fields and footpaths, nothing near the road or pavements) and she has a strong recall and can easily draw her away from people, dogs and fun things to chase :) i dont have to worry about her but i do worry about others peoples dogs - everyone i came across panicked when they saw us, hurrying to put their dog on lead, shouting at them to stay still, really unconfident and i realised they just dont bother with their dog enough to have a strong bond, their excuses were " hes too friendly" and "he just doesnt listen" made me feel sad :( of course i put pepper on lead as they did, trotted past and let her off again. Warm weather walkers really annoy me! :roll:
Pictures of Pepper viewtopic.php?f=31&t=14364
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

rachel540 wrote: Warm weather walkers really annoy me! :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I keep trying to work on my attitude and think, "well, it technically is possible that all these folks were walking their dogs all winter at different times of the day so I didn't see them while I was out freezing my face off for my dog........"

Yeah, probably not!

Too many kids walking stir-crazy spring-fevered dogs around my neck of the woods :shock:
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Sabrina wrote:
rachel540 wrote: Warm weather walkers really annoy me! :roll:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I keep trying to work on my attitude and think, "well, it technically is possible that all these folks were walking their dogs all winter at different times of the day so I didn't see them while I was out freezing my face off for my dog........"

Yeah, probably not!

Too many kids walking stir-crazy spring-fevered dogs around my neck of the woods :shock:
And here in Albuquerque, the parks are full of dogs at all hours since at most of the new homes are like ours where lawns are nit allowed. Some people do put in a tiny grassy area, bur due to our extreme drought xeriscape is rewuired for all ew housing. This means like us, our yard is basically small rocks (just a bit larger than stones) which at even 80 degrees F (and can get to 100 F) without shade, the stones get very, very hot. :shock: :shock:

Our yard has little or no shade in the early afternoon, so we have to put Sandy in the car and find a grassy park. Of course, everyone else has to do the same thing. Ther have been days where we have gone to three different parks to find one for Sandy who is still very reactive. We have found two including one on the air force base where we are more likely not to see other dogs. :shock:

So, have patience with people who have to go out during the warm or hot weather looking for a cooler area for their dogs to not only walk but to potty. :D

Another thing is that in our neighborhood, all the dogs start barking at 8:30 or 9:00 pm when it is cooler to walk a dog on the sidewalk. But, it is very understadable. We need patience durong the warmer months. :D

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
minkee

Post by minkee »

Small mercies Rachel, at least they were trying to put them on lead and not letting them run riot!

Fair-weather walkers are the bane of my life, too, at the moment. Except we're the one on the look out to grab Breeze and reel him in! FINGERS CROSSED TOUCH WOOD AND ALL THAT he seems to be getting a bit better lately, and bothered by less things, but still, it was really nice on a weekend to be able to shoot off to the cliffs or the woods or the more remote beaches and know we'd see a few hardcore walkers and maybe 2 other dogs - all busy going somewhere, and so no trouble generally. Now we have the sun come out AND Easter holidays AND we live in a sea-side resort town! You can't move for rambunctious dogs who have clearly not been out all winter long, suddenly unleashed on the beach for their holiday and are busy making up for lost time. Everywhere else is 10x busier too, even the walks you'd think would be more quiet.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Diane, I think your definition of 'warm weather' and the definition us Brits have is probably miles apart :lol: It basically means 'the sun has come out' over here, 16 degrees C at the most!
Sabrina

Post by Sabrina »

minkee wrote:Diane, I think your definition of 'warm weather' and the definition us Brits have is probably miles apart :lol: !
Haha, the ambiguities of the English language! Good point Diane about dogs in your neck of the desert :wink: It's different where I am - everyone has grassy yards. Yep, "warm weather/ fair weather" walkers for me means: It has been below freezing (before factoring in the wind chill :shock: ) and snowing and icing, and now it's warm and sunny so everyone is out!

Charley and I walk in all sorts of weather - his definition of "tolerable" is much wider than mine! :lol: