Good vibes needed.

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

WufWuf

Good vibes needed.

Post by WufWuf »

Things are a little tough at the moment and I just wanted to ask for some good vibes if anyone has some to spare.

My mother tried to end it all last week and is now in a psychriatic facility. She's always had problems and I guess she believed it was her only choice. My sisters found her and got her to the hospital, it was a long few days hoping that she hadn't done any physical damage to herself thankfully she did not take any paracetamol and seems to be ok in that regard. She's going to be at the psychriatic hospital for the forseeable future as they don't feel that medication/therapy will really have any kind of impact on her mental state and it's more of a case of management rather than treatment.

I'm getting a few days off visiting her from tomorrow 'til Friday as I've to have a molar or two pulled!

The feckin' shepard is back growling and moaning and Honey still feels no better about it. I'm not in the best of health either and I think everything is just wearing me down, I'm sure seeing me upset is not helping her feel safe. I hate having to leave her home alone to go visiting at the hospital but I don't have any other option, it's only a couple of hours but I know she's anxious with that big dog so close by.

I know life can be hard for everyone and I'm trying my best to be strong, hopefully things will be better once I have the tooth/teeth out as the pain is not making things any easier but at the moment I just want to go to bed and stay there.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Flyby

Re: Good vibes needed.

Post by Flyby »

Good vibes from us here Wufwuf.

It's not an easy time I can well imagine. Just remember to make time for yourself, and quality time too, not just a guilty cuppa when nobody is looking. :D

I had a good friend at college who was a manic depressive. You couldn't imagine a nicer and more genuine fella, but every now and again this shadow just fell over him and life seemed such a struggle for him, and none of us as his friends could reach him. It made you feel a bit guilty and inadequate somehow to be so powerless to help, but at the same time, you also had recognise the line where your life stops and their life starts, and keep your feet on the right side of the line.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Massive ((((((((((hugs)))))))))) to you, what a tough situation to deal with.

As for being strong, well don't be too strong, that's partly how I broke myself :wink: . You have a lot to be dealing with there so make sure you are getting the help that you need and are shouting for it if it's not forthcoming.

And if you feel like going to bed for a few hours then go, it's your body telling you to rest and there is nothing wrong with an afternoon nap :D (plus it won't do Honey any harm to snuggle up with her mammy) xxx
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

It's horrible when a number of problems hit you at the same time - you can shove one into a mental cupboard but another pops out straight away. As Clare says, cuddling up under the covers with Honey when you get a chance is a good idea :wink:

Best wishes to you and your mum - I hope you're both feeling in a better state of mind soon.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

boy when it rains it sure pours sometimes doesn't.

Clare's is VERY correct about you needing to take care of your self in all this. your mom is supervised right now, if you need a day or two for your self, take it.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

What can I say that hasn't been said? )))))))))))))))))HUG(((((((((((((((((((

It seems as if crap comes in truckloads and good luck a drop at a time. I really feel for you.

This too shall pass. Promise.

Treat yourself well. This is not of your making, but something you will come through. Small treats are vital in hard times.

Talk to us whenever you want.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Claire, you do seem to have more than your fair share to deal with right now. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers for strength and healing. I love that Nettle posted, "this too shall pass". That's the mantra that has gotten me through many tough times over the years. Take care of yourself. You're important too!
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Do take care of yourself and take time for yourself. Best wishes for some relief with the dental work. Prayers coming your way.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Jeeeeeez, you are having a tough time.

Words are really not enough, but - as Nettle says, this too shall pass and you DO cope and carry on. I did, my mother did 8 weeks in the psychiatric ward (she was sectioned after a suicide attempt) - I was 16 at the time and just left home alone for 6 out of that 8 weeks (it was the holidays so no one really noticed).

What doesn't finish us off really DOES make us stronger so have some cyber hugs and know that we are here if you want to rant or you want cyber hugs.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
bendog

Post by bendog »

I can only echo what everyone else has said.

Sounds cruel but you have to look after yourself first. I know what it can be like trying to squeeze everything around hospital visits, so please make sure you have time to relax.

Flyby is exactly right when he says you need to recognise the line between where others life starts, and yours begins. You can expend so much energy trying to support others, only to end up wearing yourself down. My Dad and my brother have both been hospitalised in the past for depression/suicidal intentions, and on the psychiatric wards I visited the staff were fantastic and really do know what they are doing so your mum is in the best possible place right now.

Try and keep your head up, and remember you will get through this.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Thank you all, I can't tell you how much your kind words mean to me.

I've just come back from the dentist and only had to lose one tooth so I was happy with that. Afterwards the dentist said he was impressed as I was very cool, calm and collected and I know it's silly but I think I really needed to hear something positive about myself :oops:

My mother has been troubled all her life and I had stopped expecting her to change, however after this happened I wobbled somewhat in my resolve to live my own life so it was reassurring to hear from you guys that it is the right thing to do.

Funnily enough it's since I started learning about positive training methods for dogs that I've been able to manage the time I spend with my mam so that she always has a nice time. It has enabled me to acknowledge her distress and distract her when needed without letting my own emotions get in the way. This forum has been such a blessing to me as it's given me the confidence to trust my instincts not only with Honey but in all areas of my life.

I bought myself a cream cake for when I can eat later and I'm off to bed with Honey and a hot water bottle, she loves to snuggle and I'm more then happy to oblige right now!

Thanks again to everyone, it's meant so much to me to be able to talk about all this.
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

WufWuf wrote:It has enabled me to acknowledge her distress and distract her when needed without letting my own emotions get in the way.
I have a lovely image now of you with clicker in one hand and treats in the other encouraging your mother's good moments and gently lightening her spirits and moving her on to more positive thoughts at other moments :D It's true, isn't it, that the skills we've learnt to apply to our dogs are really effective on people too!

Enjoy your sleep and your cream cake - you've earnt them and you deserve them!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Hugs to you, I hope things get better for you soon.
doggiedad

Post by doggiedad »

times of adversity is a test period to see what we're made out of.
you square your body up, balance your legs, square your hips and
you look adversity in the eye and you squash it, step on it and put it
in it's place. once you do you're going to feel so much better. the
problems will still be there but you'll be in control of the problems
and once you control the problems they'll slowly go away.
hold on tight and good luck.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Wuf Wuf, I can't think of anything else to what everyone else has said, except to give you a great, big

)))HUG((((
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown