Digging to China

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jannajay

Digging to China

Post by jannajay »

Hey, I'm new to this forum, but hopefully I can get some good advice. My husband and I have 3 beautiful Beagles, Peaches, Hershey and Tator Tot. Does anyone know how to stop them from digging craters (huge holes) in the yard? Please help :D
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

I have a beagle.... and a concrete yard :D

I remember reading about them digging though one suggestion I remember is to give them somewhere they CAN dig so your garden doesn't get wrecked... like a child's sandpit filled with peat and sand and their favourite toys?

Sure there will be more experienced posters on in a bit x
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

what she said^^^^

Get them a sand box or sand pit where they CAN dig and teach them to dig only there. For some dogs it's not boredom or too much energy making them dig, it's pure instinct and they almost NEED to dig. by redirecting them to the sand box and praising them when they sue it you teach them it's more fun to dig there than any where else. You can also bury hidden treasures (treats, toys kongs full of kibble etc.) in the sand for them to find.

Some dogs can be taught not to dig if they are doing it out of boredom or as an energy outlet. You'd need to increase exercise and training (working the brain can wear them out almost as much as going for a run) and give them lots of other stuff to do in the yard.

During both these times when you are getting them to stop or redirecting the behavior they will need constant supervision so you can interrupt the digging before they really get going because it's a self rewarding behavior and every time they do it it increases their want to do it again.

I really suggest some sort of sand box/sand pit though I know many people who LOVE having them an their dogs love them too!
jannajay

Digging to China

Post by jannajay »

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try the sand box. They do have alot of toys all over the yard, but I will try burying them in the sand box. I think they would enjoy discovering their toys hidden there, like Suprise, I found my squeeky.