I Need Your Help...

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

I Need Your Help...

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Hi Everyone!

I'm doing some research on the damages caused by shock collars, prong collars, and other aversive devices, especially any article, book, etc., that shows external and internal damages done by such devices.

Any help will be appreciated. I am also checking out the posts here on the forums to help me out (don't worry, your names or usernames will not be used, but your posts will be cross-referenced with the materials I have -kind of like a back up, if you will.). :wink:

Again, thanks for your help! :D
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
wvvdiup1

Re: I Need Your Help...

Post by wvvdiup1 »

So far, this is what I have in pictures in regards to shock collar injuries and prong collar injuries. The top two pictures are shock collar injuries and the third picture is that of a prong collar injury.

Erica

Post by Erica »

I quite vividly remember an episode of IMOTD where Victoria was helping a person who had hired a trainer that used a shock collar on her bulldog puppy...the dog, fully grown now, had a scar from it. I can't remember anything else about it though. :(
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
ReubensMom

Post by ReubensMom »

I believe that was the Roxy the bulldog episode. There was also another episode with boxer that kept jumping the fence, so the owner put in an electric fence and after being zapped by the collar, the dog refused/didn't like going in the backyard anymore. In that instance there was no visible physical damage, but it was mentally/emotionally damaging to the dog.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

I did a bit of googling (although of course you probably looked at a lot of it yourself) but this was quite interesting on fences http://randy.whynacht.ca/archives/1453
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I sure have been doing a lot of "googling it" and using the other browsers as well, checking all kinds of databases, etc., and offline, checking resources at libraries, talking to veterinarians and other professionals. I'm still not done. However, what I am finding is that when I'm researching the injuries caused by, let's say, invisible fences, a lot of the information from each source also points to shock collars, prong collars, and other adversive devices. :shock:

So, whatever anyone finds, no matter how insignificant it may seem to you, go ahead and send it, because even the information it contains is very relevant to the subject in that it fits like a puzzle piece in a puzzle, backing up the evidence. :D :wink:
bendog

Post by bendog »

Theres a couple of journal articles that assess the use of shock collars on behaviour, and on stress levels in dogs.

The first compares police/guard dogs that have been shock collar trained with those trained without shocks (but still not positively trained either). They see more lip licking, and lower ear positions from shocked dogs even when on a normal walk in the park (i.e. away from the training ground) - Training dogs with help of the shock collar: short and long term behavioural effects
Matthijs B.H. Schilder Joanne A.M. van der Borg. Applied Animal Behaviour Science 85 (2004) 319–334

The second measures stress hormone (cortisol) before and after shock collar training. It finds that dogs who can associate a clear cause and effect to the shock (touch dummy "prey" with mouth = shock) show only mild increase in cortisol. Dogs that are shocked for failure to recall from chasing "prey" dummy show a higher increase, but the highest of all (over 300% increase) is with dogs that are shocked randomly. I think this could apply in "invisible fence" cases, as the dog cannot easily see what is causing the shock. - Clinical signs caused by the use of electric training collars on dogs in everyday life situations
E. Schalke, J. Stichnoth , S. Ott , R. Jones-Baade, Applied Animal Behaviour Science 105 (2007) 369–380

These articles may be pay per view, but I have the pdf files so please PM me if you are interested and I can email them to you.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I thought I'd update you on to what has been happening in regards of the lecture/debate I had to do in front of this panel of veterinarians, dog trainers/behaviorists, and a couple of other dog professionals. What I've found out about this panel is that none of them, not even the veterinarians on this panel, had seen what shock collars and other adversive devices do to dogs; therefore, were skeptic in these training methods. Each team, one for the use of these adversive training methods and devices, and the other one, the team I was on, of course, against, each had twelve people from the different fields, similar to what the panel was made up of: veterinarians, dog trainers, and animal/dog behaviorists. Needless to say, our team had to convince all of them how these aversive training methods and devices are harmful to dogs, based not only by scientific studies, but by our experiences too.

To make this short, from the links and other materials from members of this forum such as bendog, ClareMarsh, ReubensMom (I did see the episode and remembered that), and links and other materials from members of other forums, and friends, were definitely helpful in my research and these links and other materials also were linked to many other sources, including the ones I had and my teammates had as well, in addition to the other materials they brought with them for our presentation, we were able to persuade them to our way of thinking, training, and without the use of these aversive devices. The three veterinarians that were on my team, with the help from their colleagues, brought in material that really showed the extent to what these aversive devices can and will cause, even if used properly, to a dog. Needless to say, it took a lot composing ourselves when we saw those pictures of dogs injured by those devices alone. :cry:

As I have mentioned earlier, we were able to persuade them to our way of thinking, training, and without the use of these aversive devices, persuasion is one thing, but it must be copulated or joined with action to spread the word, to educate people, of what such aversive training and the use of these aversive devices can and will do dogs, and hopefully, have such devices banned in each state, the United States, and eventually, around the world. :D

Hopefully, those people on the panel and on the other team will help by sharing what they've learned from our presentation to their colleagues, clients, dog owners, and so on, as we will surely be doing the same thing we have always done, and that is to educate people. We still have a long way to go, but together we can do this task. :D

I want to thank all of you who have helped me in my research, because without your help, I know some of my work could have been lacking all the necessary evidence needed to point out the harm that has been done to dogs trained using aversive dog training methods and aversive devices. What links and other materials you have directed me to you thought may be insubstantial or inefficient turns out to be really substantial and efficient as they, too, lead to other links and materials, so never sell yourself short on that part when it comes to helping others in any way. You all have been a very, big help in this research and lecture/debate, because of what you've provided to me in this also helped persuaded others on the other side of this debate of this issue to cross to our side. Again, a very, very big thank you to you all! :D

Thanks! :D
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

its a start and well done. dogs everywhere are thanking you
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes, well done wvv :D

Call me naive :roll: but I am 'shocked' that professionals have not investigated these devices as part of their training - and to whom does the public go for advice?????
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
DogNut

Post by DogNut »

The second photo of shock collar injuries seems unrealistic in the light of the amount of energy that is actually supplied by quality, modern, shock collars. The Wiki asserts that no physical injury has been reported, at least with such collars and correct use. If you have verifiable evidence otherwise, you should add it to the article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shock_collar

There was also, supposedly, a study in Germany where it was determined that prong collars are the least likely to cause injury. Flat collars and choker chains can cause trachea and muscle damage, and head collars can also cause severe injury, while prong collars (especially those of high quality with rounded tips or plastic tip guards), merely cause an uncomfortable pinching sensation - when properly used, of course. The third photo of a dog's injured neck looks like the result of a prong or other chain that has been left on the dog and allowed to become tight and grown into the skin, or possibly because someone yanked on the martingale chain with extreme force, or the dog got the collar caught in a fence and was injured trying to get free.

The most famous (and best quality) prong collars are made by Herm Sprenger:
http://www.leashesbydesign.com/Collars/ ... llars.html

Their website:
http://www.sprenger.de/open/language_id ... 5/M/vHxL1Q

I'm not necessarily advocating their use, but any compilation of information should attempt to look at all sides, and be truthful, especially if you want to convert anyone who is already using or is planning to use either of these tools.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

the third picture was not claimed to be anything but prong collar damage. re read wvvdiup1's post.

Pictures 1 and 2 appear to be the same dog and I believe it comes from this incident. http://www.itchmo.com/dog-injured-by-an ... ennel-2157 where an electronic collar was admitted to have been used by a boarding facility without owner consent.

I did look at your links, and the "how to use the prong collar" video...I remain unconvinced that the prong is any safer than a flat collar. there is still pressure on the throat. that pressure is uniform all the way around still does not convince me that any one part of the neck is any safer than the other due to this. And as for the "bite action like an older dog does to younger..." still waiting for the accepted science and documentation of this. I know I have yet to see it happen at dog parks and beaches between older and younger dogs or any dog for that matter.

The more I learn about these tools and behavior the more I come to the following conclusion, they are solutions in search of a problem. people implementing them and advocating them seem to come up short in understanding dog development and behavior. The video says "they are helpful in gaining the control they need over a difficult or challenging dog". shouldn't we be asking why is a dog "difficult" or "challenging" and not jumping to tools of pain?

Make no mistake, no matter how you spin or claim otherwise, the entire reason to use a shock or prong collar is to inflict pain. pain is pain regardless of intensity or visual damage. And pain is what these tools are designed to cause otherwise why would you use one?
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I wish I could have received copies of the photos used in our presentation on this issue regarding shock collars and other aversive devices, but I cannot get them. :( Obviously, in my opinion, the pictures I have are nothing the veterinarians on my team have that shows how bad these injuries are, and, of course, I couldn't post them on this forum, because we do have members who are "under age" according to their jurisdiction. However, the photos these vets have were also used as evidence in their respective legal cases. You'll have to take my word on this, because what I saw were no better than crime scene photos, except in a lot more detail, if I can call it that. When I saw them, it was enough for me just to compose myself by not crying and losing my lunch at the same time. I think it took that much control for the others in that room to do the same thing. It also makes me think how bad we humans could violently act on other humans beings, just as we could violently act on animals, which makes me think we must be the worse living creatures on this planet, just set by the examples of a few people, if this makes any sense. In addition to that, we're supposed to be the most intelligent above the rest of the living species on this planet, that we also can think and reason of better ways of doing something without the use of aversive devices or tools. It also tells me NOW is the time to educate and work hard to BAN such devices.

If I had those pictures and any more like them, it would have helped me and many others to set up a website advocating a ban on these aversive devices. Without these pictures, it makes my and others who are against the use of such aversive devices hard, however, I do not intend of giving up on this either. This just makes it a challenge most worthwhile to work in spreading the word and getting the message across. Giving up is not an OPTION!
DogNut

Post by DogNut »

I do wish you could obtain at least a couple of convincing photos and other documentation about the details of exactly what caused the injuries. I agree that prong collars and shock collars can be dangerous in the wrong hands, just like guns, knives, cars, and baseball bats. Any tool can be abused, but I have just seen too many good results that have been obtained with these devices to support a ban on them. The proper way to deal with this situation, IMHO, is to require a license to purchase and use prong collars and shock collars, and require certification and evidence of proficiency, without which constitutes animal abuse and criminal penalties. Pushing for a ban on these tools to try to eliminate abuse is admirable, but the real problem is just like that for cars, which is "the nut behind the wheel". Even if your ultimate goal is to eliminate these tools, it may be better to start by demanding that they be licensed in some way. Otherwise, you will meet with powerful opposition, and you won't accomplish anything. Banning prong collars and electronic collars is somewhat like banning pit bulls, or Rottweilers, in an attempt to eliminate aggressive attacks on people. It's not the breed or the tool that is the problem. People cause problems, and powerful tools (and dogs) just make it easier to cause injury. I would support a ban on choker chains and nylon slip leads before I would consider banning pinch collars and e-collars.
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

DogNut, as I respect your opinion as I do the other members, I have to disagree with you on something you said, let me quote you: "Even if your ultimate goal is to eliminate these tools, it may be better to start by demanding that they be licensed in some way. Otherwise, you will meet with powerful opposition, and you won't accomplish anything. Banning prong collars and electronic collars is somewhat like banning pit bulls, or Rottweilers, in an attempt to eliminate aggressive attacks on people. It's not the breed or the tool that is the problem. People cause problems, and powerful tools (and dogs) just make it easier to cause injury."

Banning such breeds of dogs such as Pit Bulls isn't the same as banning shock collars and other aversive, because these tools may be used for one thing and one thing only and that is supposed to control whatever behavior in dogs, and banning a certain breed (which I against in the first place) because of what dogs do instinctively is another. We all know that a dog has the potential to bite when it is threaten or scared and biting is their form of defense, much like us humans using our fists, nails, or whatever object we pick up to protect ourselves. But, in the case of shock collars and other aversive devices, no one really knew the effects these devices had on dogs when they first came out, however, over the years, more is being learned about these effects as well as seeing an increase number of injuries from these devices, from many people claim they know how to use/operate such devices. The effects may not show in in a day, but over time, the continued use of these devices do become evident. First of all, these shock collars do nerve damages, which, keep in mind, what is the thing these nerves lead to? The Brain. Don't just think of that, think of the other organs, tissues, and so on in an animal's (including human's) body. Now, can you imagine the injuries that were done to dogs by people misusing shock collars, eCollars, and other such aversive devices on their's or other people's dogs?

When you see dogs' throats deeply cut, almost as if their throats were being slashed, and burned, wouldn't you want to do something about the use of such devices? That's not all I saw in regards to these injuries from shock collars and so on either. As I've stated a couple or so times, Education is key. Sure, there will be a lot of opposition, but when patience, time, and getting the word out finally sinks in the public's mental thinking, those opposing will see. It will take baby steps, but it will get there and it will sink in. Giving up is not an OPTION!

Don't get me wrong, the other things such as cars and all the other modern conveniences we come to know as tools can become weapons, therefore, can injure or kill in the wrong hands or some irresponsible human being as "the nut behind the wheel", but as an intelligent species, we also knew those potentials when we took the risk of using them or not stopping someone irresponsible from using them. That's why training and licensing in some of the them are imperative, or important. Also, as an intelligent species, we have the ability to think before we do and the ability to ask others who know in helping or advising us, so when we train dogs (or other animals), we must try ways that we think aren't detrimental to the animal. However, if we see something that's not right or good, we must stop, think of other non-detrimental ways without resorting to use such aversive devices such as shock collars and so on.

We've heard our parents, teachers, and some others say, "You have a brain, use it!", when we were children, right. Where does that change when we become adults? It doesn't. :wink: