Dog lumps

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pat

Dog lumps

Post by pat »

I'm worried sick because one of my dogs has a lump that could be cancerous. The vet took a small sample of cells said she thought it was just a fatty lump. She did another test however, and said that there were some other cells there. She's sent the sample away for analysis and I won't know the results until Monday. Does anyone else have any experience of this? Can it be anything other than cancer?
Getting eliminated is all part of the fun, or so I was told
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Yes- it could just be a benign fatty lump, very common in dogs. All my old dogs get them.

Sorry you have to wait until Monday.

))))))))))))))))))))))))HUG((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

I hope you get good news I knowthe wait will be terrible for you, ((((hug))))
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

I am sure that as with people, there are a number of things it could be. I have had about three lumps removed now fro various places, none of whihc were cancerous.

The important thing is that you have done the right thing by taking your dog to the vet and getting it looked at. The chances are its nothing to be concerned about, but even if it was the sooner you take your dog to the vet the better, so you have given them the best possible chance of getting better.

I have everything crossed for you and hope you have good news for us on Monday. Take care.xx
pat

Post by pat »

Thank you for your reply. I was a bit upset today at an agility show when a lot of people said it wasn't worth treating an older dog and that I should just let him go. Jamie is only just ten and he was really excited to be at a show. He did a lovely clear round in the veterans class. Of course I wouldn't try to prolong the life of an elderly hopeless case but the lump hasn't even been identified yet. If there are some cancerous cells and the lump can be removed I'd certainly allow the vet to operate.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I had lumps taken off Gracie when she was about 12, Ellie had 2 large tumours taken off a year ago and last November was spayed, she is about 10/11.

I think that is rather nasty of those people to say that to you.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Mattie wrote:I had lumps taken off Gracie when she was about 12, Ellie had 2 large tumours taken off a year ago and last November was spayed, she is about 10/11.

I think that is rather nasty of those people to say that to you.
I totally agree Mattie, they should be ashamed of themselves. Are they vets? Or better still mystics? I doubt it. :wink:

You don't stop caring for your dog because it gets a bit long in the tooth. I totally agree with your comments about prolonging life when not in the best interests of the dog, but as you say this is a decision to be reached after diagnosis by a vet, not one to be made by a few interferring know it alls.

:evil:
pat

Post by pat »

Good news and it's the last thing I expected. The strange cells that the vet found on the slide and sent away to be tested turned out to be from her own fingerprint! The lump is just a fatty lump after all. We are so relieved.
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

pat wrote:Good news and it's the last thing I expected. The strange cells that the vet found on the slide and sent away to be tested turned out to be from her own fingerprint! The lump is just a fatty lump after all. We are so relieved.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh my word how bizarre!! Great news though, hurrah!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

That should never happen, I would change my vet if they did something like that. :evil:

I am pleased it is nothing more. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Delighted for you :D
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

Oh thats great news I am delighted for you ((((hug))))