Sigh, that was difficult

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Sigh, that was difficult

Post by Sarah83 »

Today I turned down a husky puppy. A guy my hubby works with is rehoming one and asked us if we wanted him. It was soooooo difficult to say no but I really don't want a husky. Beautiful dogs but certainly not the breed for me. I'm kinda regretting it right now, I'm really missing having a dog around but I don't want to take on a completely unsuitable dog just because I want a dog. If you know what I mean. And a husky is not suitable, it's one of the few breeds I've not even considered.

Oh, and I'm currently trying to talk my cousin out of getting a pup. Terrible dog owner, has already rehomed 2 but now wants another :roll:
ClareMarsh

Re: Sigh, that was difficult

Post by ClareMarsh »

Oh that is such a difficult thing to do, but then that's one of the things that makes you a great dog owner, you can make the difficult choices. The right dog is just around the corner I'm sure (((((Hugs)))))
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Well, we all know how hard it is to say no to a puppy! :wink: But you wisely let your head over-rule your heart and you will thank yourself over and over again when you do find the dog (and breed) that is perfect for you. :D :D

We had a husky when I was a child and my sister got one when she grew up and moved out on her own, so I know they are beautiful, lovely dogs, but they are not the breed for me either.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Aw come on Sarah, don't you want to get a kick scooter and learn the joys of urban mushing? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I would have to agree with you though. As beautiful as I think Husky's are, they are not the dog for me. Husky lab mixes are quite an energetic challenge too. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

What a wise and lovely person you are for sticking with the right decision. That is what will make you a fantastic home for the dog you eventually get.

After all, you wouldn't marry any old chap just because someone else had divorced him, would you? :mrgreen:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Oh but it was difficult. If I'd seen the pup I'm not sure I could have said no :oops: But thankfully I didn't. There are many breeds I think I could happily live with but I've said from the start I do not want a husky or a malamute or a toy breed (I'm scared of hurting a tiny) and guess what the only dogs I've seen up for rehoming are? :roll: Not really looking at the moment as the snow has come and we can't use the car (money for winter tyres went to pay Ruperts last vet bill) but I still have a quick nosy, just in case someone very close is getting rid of a suitable one.

The right dog will come along for me when the time is right. I just wish it would bloody well hurry up! :lol:
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Why not husky or malamute??
bendog

Post by bendog »

You've done the right thing Sarah, as hard as it is.
Huskys are beautiful, but too many people take a dog based on looks rather than considering which breeds would suit their lifestyle.

I was offered a turtle the other day, and although not the same as a dog, it was still hard to say no, just don't have the time.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Ari_RR wrote:Why not husky or malamute??
Because while I can't put my finger on exactly why something tells me neither breed would suit me well. It's nothing against either breed, I just don't feel they're the breed for me. I've met dogs of each breed, read up on them and would prefer to go with a breed or mix that suits me better.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Nettle wrote:After all, you wouldn't marry any old chap just because someone else had divorced him, would you? :mrgreen:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh that hit my funny bone just right :D

Sarah83 Well done it must've been hard but you did the right thing. I love huskies but just know that they would never be the right breed for me either. I reckon I'd have a hard time turning down a pup but you know the right one is out there somewhere, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whoever's in charge of sending the pup on to you gets their butts in gear soon :P
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

WufWuf wrote: I'm keeping my fingers crossed that whoever's in charge of sending the pup on to you gets their butts in gear soon :P
Thanks. I just hope they're not waiting till they find a dog more challenging than Rupert for me :lol:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

my vote is for you to keep an eye out for a patterdale...that way you won't be bored :twisted:
emmabeth wrote:the Patterdale ... which are I am afraid, the terrier worlds very own psychopath.....
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

:lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

*shudder*

Today I met a lady I see out dogwalking from time to time. She has a mild little Border terrier which is good as gold, and as a result she is blissfully unaware of what terriers can do. She also had a new dog that had been dumped on her when she agreed to look after it for a week and the owner said she didn't want it back.

"Do you know that's a Patterdale?" I said. She agreed it was (it was lean, mean, spannable and varminty, and apart from not being docked, would have had any number of working terrier people slavering after it).

"Keep her away from holes in the ground" I said gently (not wishing to become a giver-out of unwanted advice but horrified that such a ditsy lady had taken on the canine equivalent of a Mafia gangster).

"I suppose she'd just dig and dig" said the lady.......and I said no more, having exceeded my mind-your-own-business remit by a country mile.

But - SHEESH :shock:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
bendog

Post by bendog »

Oh boy Nettle! I'm afraid boyfs mum was similar! What she was thinking getting a working terrier pup from a farm. Pops is a Lakeland (apparently - shes still not curly), and was allowed to chase the guinea pigs as a tiny pup, I warned them at the time that a working terrier is totally different to a pet one. But of course Ben and Sash are 'fine' (sash isn't, just too ill/depressed to bother) with the guinea pigs, so of course poppy would be too! Boyf went back to visit today and took dogs with him - his mum let them out and within seconds sash and pop were playing tug of war with a guinea pig. No idea how they made them drop it, but poor thing was ok. I was fuming when I heard.