Sigh, that was difficult

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

Re: Sigh, that was difficult

Post by minkee »

Lots of people ask me what breed Scout is, with that 'Oh, isn't she so cute, and what a lovely size!' look in their eyes. Maybe I should just tell them she's a 'mix' rather than going into detail or putting the name patterdale in their heads... I doubt the 'but her parents were both family pets!' part is likely to stick in their minds. Or the fact that the interior is very Lakeland, it's just the exterior that's v Patty.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Met a few like that Nettle, don't want to acknowledge what their dog was bred to do and what they need to do to keep it safe and happy. What is it with the sudden popularity of Patterdales as pets? A few years ago I'd never even heard anyone mention them, now it seems they're all over the place. And from what I've read they generally do not make good pets at all.
minkee

Post by minkee »

Are they everywhere? I got pup when I moved up here, to Yorkshire, and see a lot of them around. I thought it was just a local thing. I hadn't heard of them before moving here.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

It seems it Minkee. I've not met one in real life myself but I know quite a few different people online who have a Patterdale and they're all from different areas. Most of them are your average pet owner too. Seen several in rescue and several people asking where to get a pup, looking for studs and that sort of thing too.
bendog

Post by bendog »

I know someone who has just adopted a four year old Patterdale

I wonder though how many of the ones around are true Patts and how many are crosses or similar. Seems that black terrier = patterdale a lot of the time.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Sarah did you get in touch with Bjoern and Klaus at Fritzen? They will take your minds off husky puppies!

Well done for saying no and not falling into the trap of going and seeing - so hard to resist and I love the spitz breeds but one would NOT suit me either, not at all!

On the subject of Patterdales, mm.. I think I have met or heard of maybe 3 (one of which IS Minkees Scout) who are not out and out psychos and again in every case there is some debate as to whether their background is entirely Patterdale and also they are all a generation or more away from working dogs.

For some reason, like Lurchers, they have become a very 'trendy' dog to have, and I really don't understand why there is this trend but it seems to be very 'in' for the posh flowery Surrey types (ooh how many more people can I offend here...) with the polka dot wellies and the Hermes scarf (really going for it..) to own a huntin' shootin' fishin' poachery dog, ie, a lurcher or a working terrier.

Think its probably an offshoot of the similar types with the shiny 4x4's that NEED a gundog and it has to be a Weimaraner or a Viszla or a German Wirehaired Pointer... to march around the local park with and leave in the car outside Waitrose...

(there I am done generalising and stereotyping people for the day :) )
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Well done for holding your ground. I guess you know now that in order to do so, you must avoid meeting the puppy because how can you resist otherwise? :lol:

I googled Patterdales once, and found this info page including photos:

http://www.allsmalldogbreeds.com/patter ... rrier.html

Sometimes I wonder if Murphy had Patterdale in him, when I see some of his pictures.

First picture after he came home with us.

"Touch" training

Stalking a squirrel.

Trip to the dog park.

An acquaintance adopted a Patterdale (the kind with a rough coat) a while back. It didn't work out, and he had to return him. First-time owner didn't know what he was getting into. Sad.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

emmabeth wrote:Sarah did you get in touch with Bjoern and Klaus at Fritzen? They will take your minds off husky puppies!
No, we were still discussing Deerhounds and several other breeds when Spencer came along and we decided to take him. Not ruling out one in the future though :mrgreen:
Well done for saying no and not falling into the trap of going and seeing - so hard to resist and I love the spitz breeds but one would NOT suit me either, not at all!
If I'd seen it I think I'd have taken it, much easier to simply say no over the phone. And I think I'd have regretted it if I'd said yes, beautiful dogs but not the right sort for me at all.
On the subject of Patterdales, mm.. I think I have met or heard of maybe 3 (one of which IS Minkees Scout) who are not out and out psychos and again in every case there is some debate as to whether their background is entirely Patterdale and also they are all a generation or more away from working dogs.

For some reason, like Lurchers, they have become a very 'trendy' dog to have, and I really don't understand why there is this trend but it seems to be very 'in' for the posh flowery Surrey types (ooh how many more people can I offend here...) with the polka dot wellies and the Hermes scarf (really going for it..) to own a huntin' shootin' fishin' poachery dog, ie, a lurcher or a working terrier.

Think its probably an offshoot of the similar types with the shiny 4x4's that NEED a gundog and it has to be a Weimaraner or a Viszla or a German Wirehaired Pointer... to march around the local park with and leave in the car outside Waitrose...

I really don't get trends in what breed of dog people want. I want a dog that fits my lifestyle and what I want to do with a dog, not one that fits with how I want people to see me. Okay so Rupert didn't really work out that way but at least I didn't get him to fit my image :lol: I guess this is partly why there are so many dogs given up though, people don't look beyond the appearance to the breeds characteristics and needs.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I was going to suggest Patterdale sisters from the same litter, working line of course. one with resource guarding issues, one with dog aggression/fear issues. then I realized the goal was keep Sarah from being bored, not make her suicidal. So I refrained :twisted: :lol:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

emmabeth wrote:For some reason, like Lurchers, they have become a very 'trendy' dog to have, and I really don't understand why there is this trend but it seems to be very 'in' for the posh flowery Surrey types (ooh how many more people can I offend here...) with the polka dot wellies and the Hermes scarf (really going for it..) to own a huntin' shootin' fishin' poachery dog, ie, a lurcher or a working terrier.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Am snorting with laughter at that :lol:

Because I spend time in the Midlands (my parents live in the Black Country where everyone is very down to earth and call you "bab") and also in Blackheath in London (where people are like those mentioned above by Emmabeth and are very pleased with themselves) I see stark difference in dog ownership believe it or not. I am ALOT more comfortable with Ted interacting with dogs back at my parents than here in London, although I have met a few "proper" dog owners here :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sarah83 wrote:I really don't get trends in what breed of dog people want. I want a dog that fits my lifestyle and what I want to do with a dog, not one that fits with how I want people to see me. Okay so Rupert didn't really work out that way but at least I didn't get him to fit my image :lol: I guess this is partly why there are so many dogs given up though, people don't look beyond the appearance to the breeds characteristics and needs.
Edited to add: I did mean to respond to Sarah also, I really do think that people get a dog based on looks with total disregard for what they were bred to do (or in the case if Chis that they are actually a DOG :evil: ).
Last edited by ClareMarsh on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
bendog

Post by bendog »

Theres a Patterdale terrier in Merseyside Dogs Trust kennels with no eyes :cry: :shock:
Everytime I see it I am soooooo tempted. But I have my hands full enough already!

I feel that minkee and myself should stick up for terriers a little bit though - they aren't aalllllll bad! :lol:
Though having only ever had terriers myself, and dog sat occasionally for Border Collies, I am amazed (and jealous) when I see people with other breeds because they seem so calm and wellbehaved! :lol:
A nice little Ted, or big gentle friendly Lab seems very appealing sometimes!
minkee

Post by minkee »

ClareMarsh wrote:and call you "bab"
My Granddad used to call me this! Takes me back :)

I think terriers come in such neat little packages that people think they're getting a 'small dog' when actually they're getting something like 3 dogs crammed into the space of one. Infact it was my boyfriend that wanted a little terrier, and he would still ALWAYS want a little terrier even for a second dog. It has taken a lot of convincing to get him used to the idea of a Saluki or something similar instead, and I still don't think he believes me that getting another patterdale is a bad idea. He thinks Scout is perfect, I'm quite sure they're both in love (as evidenced by all the kissing) :roll:

You're right though, Bendog, I wouldn't change her :D

I agree that a nice little Ted sounds appealing too! Infact I often get a little soppy looking at his pics, as the bear I got when I was a baby is called "Ted" (Ted the Ted, or Edward the Teddybear to you) and had a big white patch on his chest, just like Clare's Ted does :D
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

jacksdad wrote:I was going to suggest Patterdale sisters from the same litter, working line of course. one with resource guarding issues, one with dog aggression/fear issues. then I realized the goal was keep Sarah from being bored, not make her suicidal. So I refrained :twisted: :lol:
:lol: You could at least let me have one dog without issues if I'm going to take on Patterdale litter sisters with issues and become suicidal. Anyway, Spencer has things I need to work on so I shan't be bored for a while. When I am I'll let you find me the most horrendously messed up dog you can :wink:

Oddly enough I used to see a lot of JRTs in flats, especially belonging to elderly people. I do think people got them because they were small and they thought they wouldn't need much exercise so would be ideally suited to a flat. Then these poor dogs rarely, if ever, set foot outside their home. Lets just say most of them were absolute horrors and yappy as hell!
PikiPiki

Post by PikiPiki »

Think its probably an offshoot of the similar types with the shiny 4x4's that NEED a gundog and it has to be a Weimaraner or a Viszla or a German Wirehaired Pointer...
We actually just purchased a shiny 4x4 for Evee [coonhound], she didn't fit in our Saturn S :lol: Poor girl doesn't even have a window in my husbands car :lol: Now she's got plenty of room for her and can bring lots of toys for outings :D Unless she rides with daddy in his Saturn :roll:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

minkee wrote:
ClareMarsh wrote:and call you "bab"
My Granddad used to call me this! Takes me back :)

I agree that a nice little Ted sounds appealing too! Infact I often get a little soppy looking at his pics, as the bear I got when I was a baby is called "Ted" (Ted the Ted, or Edward the Teddybear to you) and had a big white patch on his chest, just like Clare's Ted does :D
Alright Bab :D

The thing is you can think about a cute little Ted and he is such a good dog because of the work I put in that thankfully he gives Chis a good name. But he needs far more protection than other dogs would and sometimes I look at Scout or Bendog and think if Ted were a bit bigger he would be less at risk from stray paws when playing etc :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids