New House

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pawprints1985

New House

Post by pawprints1985 »

We just bought our first house :D and we brought our little Jetta over to see where we will be moving to and now she won't stay in the basement we live in sh just wants to be at the new house but it won't be ready for another month what can I do to help her.
Vicki, Jason, Jetta, Jetty, and Izzabel
JudyN

Re: New House

Post by JudyN »

I think you may be projecting your emotions onto her here... She won't know that the house she visited is going to be her new home, or even thought 'I'd rather live at that place we visited the other day.' Have a look at where you are now, and what might have changed to alter her behaviour. Have you been anxious/unsettled? Have you been packing?

When you say 'she won't stay in the basement', what exactly is she doing? Trying to get out the door whenever you leave? She may just be feeling extra-clingy at the moment because she knows something's happening but doesn't know what.

As always, the more you can tell the experts about her daily routine, the more they'll be able to advise.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
pawprints1985

Post by pawprints1985 »

she trys to go out the door with us and after we leave she becomes very destructive and she didn't start doing that until we brought her to the new house.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote: She may just be feeling extra-clingy at the moment because she knows something's happening but doesn't know what.
I would agree. Dogs are pretty darn perceptive. a couple weeks ago I moved my son off to his first apartment. the couple days leading up to this my dog clearly knew something was up and was getting anxious. he settled down when he saw me packing his stuff for the over night trip. But he knew something was up and got very clingy. This was just my son moving out.

But you are probably starting to act a little different, maybe starting to pack or move things around etc.

I would say be sure to make time for your dog still. it will be easy to focus on moving and getting into the new house and cause a sudden break in routines, amount of attention etc. try and not "cut" your dog off. continue to make some time for your dog, include your dog as much as possible provided doing so is safe and reasonable.
pawprints1985

Post by pawprints1985 »

We have started bringing her with us to the house. We put her dog run outside and when we are inside working she lays in the sun and "talks" to the neighbors dog. Even tho we aren't out playing with her, she is much happier now. she hasn't gotten the hang of her new run yet, we got one of those over the head tie outs, but she loves to be in the sunshine but I think that's better for her then in the dark basement we live in.