Ari and an impulse control exercise

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ari_RR

Ari and an impulse control exercise

Post by Ari_RR »

Just to share an exercise we do during our training sessions, one of many we try in order to develop impulse control.

Treats are on the floor, about a foot or two apart. Ari can only have 1 treat at a time, and then must wait for an "OK!" before he can take another one.

Here it is. Pretty bad lighting and camera work... and camera... but gives an idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7_7hB9rfh8
WufWuf

Re: Ari and an impulse control exercise

Post by WufWuf »

Aww he's such a good boy! Good job Ari_RR you've obviously put lts of work in lots of work with Ari :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Oh I do love Ari, I would really love to meet him :D

And I love his fixation on the treats, "If I stare long enough he will know what I want".

That said and you may well have already got this in your plan, and this is in no way a criticism as I think what you've done there is brilliant and might try something similar with Ted. If I were you the next step would be to get Ari to look at me in order to get the "ok" to take the treat. I imagine that this would also help his focus on you in other situations then.

We did it in puppy class with "leave it" training, the dog gets the treat only when he looks at the handler. To start with, if he doesn't do (and I doubt Ari will given his focus on the treat) you can get him to do this just by making the slightest movement/throat clearing etc so not calling him but just a reminder that you are there, as soon as he looks he gets the treat and you go from there, you can then ask for longer and longer focuses on you in order to get the treat.

I hope you don't mind me suggesting this. And keep the videos coming, I love seeing Ari working :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Oh brilliant! That made me lauigh watching him when he ate one treat then stayed motionless, head down as if to say "come on dad...cooommee ooonnn!!!"#

Adorabl;e!!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

That's brilliant! I can do that with Jasper, but have to hover a bit nearer and be ready to cover any treat if the temptation becomes too much. I wait for eye contact each time and he usually just glances away from the treat for a moment hoping that's enough - it takes him a while to remember he needs to fix onto my eyes!
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Post by bendog »

Aww that's ace. Ben fixates like that too, so we are working on getting eye contact before he gets the ok as well. Can still only do the one treat with him though!

Well done Ari!
Noobs

Post by Noobs »

Brilliant! Well done.

If you really want to get eye contact between treats, ask for a "watch me" or a "look" maybe?

But what great impulse control! You should be very proud not only of Ari but also yourself for putting in the work. :D
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Thank you ALL! Oh, we love compliments! And comments, and suggestions too! :lol:

We try training for eye contact on "leave it".
Here is a short video of "Leave it".. (even worse quality then the treats, if that's possible :( )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tul8nA2wNkw

Eye contact works in most situations. But the treats lined up on the floor seem to be way too magnetic for Ari to take is eyes off. :D
Last edited by Ari_RR on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Love the leave it one! I do that with Dylan and he does exactly the same as Ari.....looks at me with ears up and big brown eyes waiting for me to say 'ok' and then snuffles the treats down!
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

You've just made me realise that I can use the raised finger if Jasper needs reminding, rather than have to say anything :D Ari really is very good - he looks as if he would wait all day, but end up with a big puddle of drool on the floor :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Poor abused Ari... just look at that face, those ribs...sitting there starving right before your eyes and being asked to wait for the go ahead to eat the few measly scraps of food laid out on the floor...poor, poor Ari :twisted: :lol:

hey, someone had to speak up on his behalf...impulse control....sheeese, that is for Labs, not Noble Ridgbacks. :mrgreen:
PikiPiki

Post by PikiPiki »

Oh my goodness! He's so amazing, you're doing such a lovely job raising him! C=
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

jacksdad wrote:Poor abused Ari..
:lol: :lol: yeah, some of our dogs could probably win the Oscar for best role at the Academy Awards.
maximoo

Post by maximoo »

Ari already has great impulse control. He is absolutely brilliant. :D
I must mention however that VS does not train "leave it" that way. You see once a dog is told to "leave it", he CANNOT have what he was told to leave. He is given a different higher value treat & the "left" treat or thing is taken away. For Ex: If he was told "leave it" to a dead squirrel in the road or something harmful (poisonous)or something like a shoe you don't want destroyed in the house you wouldn't then decide to give it to him after a little while would you? Of course not! You give him a higher reward. In the way you are training it, he believes he can always have the thing he was told to leave, and therefore the command loses its value. That is how the master VS trains "leave it" I am merely suggesting you think about your technique.

Best of luck to you & that beautiful boy!
bendog

Post by bendog »

I suddenly remembered this the other day, I'd meant to teach Ben to do the same, and never got very far, so I finally got round to doing it.

Here is our vid.
http://youtu.be/AZ4fxjTO9QQ