How do you cope with thunder phobia?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DawnStorm

How do you cope with thunder phobia?

Post by DawnStorm »

I usually just try to comfort the dog, but not make a big production of it. Trying to engage the dog in play just doesn't work, or at least it didn't with my second Dobe, whose whose weather sense put the TV guys to shame.
My current two aren't that sensitive, but when there is a thunderstorm, they pace, pant and are obviously a bit freaked out.
Now this is strange: when Flanders the Belgian Malinut was a puppy, thunder didn't freak her out at all, but once she grew up it did. :?:
Anyway, what do you do when a storm comes up, other than better living through chemistry?
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
Maxy24

Post by Maxy24 »

I know some people crate their dogs since many dog see crates as a safe place. they play music over the sound of the thunder. It also depends a lot on what is freaking the dog out. Is it the actual thunder or maybe simply the entire change in atmosphere. The thing is they know the storm is coming so long before it does that by the time we start distracting them they are already enveloped in the fear. you can try buying the CDs which play the thunder sound, you start at a low level and make the volume louder until it's actual volume. During the session you play with the dog, feed the dog, anything fun so he no longer fears the sound. Of course for some dogs these are useless because they need full affect (drop in atmospheric pressure, sound of rain, smell of ozone etc.) to actually get freaked out. Just find SOMETHING that makes the storm fun and start as soon as you notice it's coming even if it's a while before the thunder starts. Play music to go over the sound, feed him and then play a game, crate him with a kong if he enjoys that, hide treats around the house and help him find them, lots of stuff that is fun and switch it up to keep his attention throughout the storm. hopefully you'll get short storms until you get him comfortable with them :wink:
Hey if they are not too freaked out and they like walks and don't hate rain go play outside or go for a walk, just knowing that a thunderstorm means a walk can make it awesome for the dog. But for some dogs going out makes it worse so the fun of the walk is not acknowledged by them. So you'll have to find out what works for your dogs.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

For my dog who is a thunder phobe... thunder = treat time, everyone comes for a sweetie.

This has taken us the better part of 3 years though, at first he would just hide and nothing would help him.

Now, i think its a combination of him being older and seeing the other dogs are not scared AND they are getting goodies...

He still doesnt like thunder (or fireworks) but seems far more able to cope with it than before.

Other than the treats thing, i have provided him somewhere safe to go, never left him alone during a storm (or fireworks time!!!). Ive not made a fuss though either, whilst I think entirely ignoring the animal is not kind, over fussing can also reassure them that there IS something to be scared of..

On that though, i judge how to play things by the dog in question. One of my dogs adores physical contact, cuddles, being held quite tightly, so for him, thats fine, its normal and its not over the top.

For another though, whilst he likes and often needs to be very close to me, he dislikes quite strongly being held or cuddled - if he is frightened he will sit on my knee which he wont do at other times but i wouldnt force him to be there, or try and hold him. I just let him do what he needs to do. (He likes hiding under a blankie!).
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Joe used to try and run up the walls when he heard thunder or fireworks, it has taken many years of hard work to get to the stage he is now.

I find he is better if there is a covered crate he can go into when he wants, he does use it.

I burn lavendar or sandlewood, DAP doesn't touch him.

I start giving him Serene-um 6 to 8 weeks before Bonfire Night.

I use quite a bit of Rescue Remedy when fireworks are going off or thunder.

Finally, I click and treat every time there is thunder or fireworks.

Joe is a lot better now, but if these are not in place, he is back to the start.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Having just been caught in a thunder storm, in the middle of the fields... :roll: Our first thunder together... I thought best option was to pop him on the lead to prevent possible bolting, a quick side pat and ok lets get home before we get to soaked, and behave as normal.
DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

I really think it's the atmospheric changes more than any noises. Hmm, maybe once thunderstorm season starts in earnest, I'll try distractions. Just because it didn't work with my previous dogs doesn't mean it won't work now.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

You are right, the atmosphere changes do make it worse, if Joe hears them on the tv he isn't as bad as when they are happening round here. With the fireworks it is also the smell. Joe is extremely noise sensitive as well which doesn't help.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]