Too independent?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danabanana

Too independent?

Post by danabanana »

Last year before I got Teagan we looked after a black lab called Dana (affectionately known as Danabanana hence my username!) for a few months - she was being trained up as an assistance dog fo the disabled. We had her from the age of 8 months to just under a year. Dana was great in the house - but petrified of everything! She was scared of her lead, her collar, her jacket, scared of other dogs, and in class she would often just sit and cower. It took us that whole 3 months to be able to get her collar and lead on without her running away and trying to hide - we still hadn't quite got there with her jacket but it could be in the same room as her without her being frightened - couldn't put it on yet though. She was frightened of being left alone too.

Anyway - when we got Teagan I was determined that I wouldn't have a nervy dog, she was going to be happy in new situations and confident when meeting other people and dogs... and I think I may have created a monster!

I'm happy that she is confident I don't want to change that. I am happy that I know I can leave her alone at home and she'll be fine. I don't know if it's partly her age (6 months now) but she is soooo confident and sure of herself she's verging on cocky. I like that she is fine either approaching or being approached by other dogs, but I don't like her attempts to jump on their heads after the initial sniff. I like that she is happy to meet people and say hello, I don't like her jumping up. When off-lead I don't like how she will sprint the full length of 2 fields to go and say hello to someone - what if the person doesn't like dogs? She is becoming rude - like a person in a bar coming up to say hi to you then giving you a huge hug - would make me feel uncomfortable!

She was very good in class on Saturday though, we did introductions and any lunging we had to turn the other way. The dogs were rewarded for being calm and sitting patiently while we walked up to another person or dog and that worked well. The main problem is out on walks, if I see someone coming first I can put her back on her lead until they pass - but sometimes I don't see them, round corners for instance and she will dash off. She will often follow the other person/dog for ages too and I do worry that one day she will just follow them home. She followed an old man with his dog out of the park once to a lake where he was feeding the ducks, out of my sight. I did catch up but she seems to not be bothered at all that I am not there! Will she grow out of this as she gets older? I don't mind having her back on a long line for a while but I do want to still be able to let her off.

God that was long!
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

I am, as per usual, no help whatsoever, but ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!!! :lol: What have we done??

Ellie's a monster too at the moment. She dive bombs people like a bloody seagull.

I am starting to rein her in a bit. More time on lead, less time being a hoodlum. :wink:
beagler

Post by beagler »

hey!

Sounds just like your typical over-confident cocky Beagle!! One of mine used to do that, until he went too far and ran into the road. Luckily every car missed him, but he doesn't get the chance now, at least in areas where he can escape! He ran after two Cockers at the beach a couple of years ago and they didn't stop walking even with me screeching from miles away! I use a whistle now!! :roll: My other boy is too much of a scaredy to run too far. I used to hide, and still do, from him. Or I start walking/running the other way and that makes him concentrate on what I'm doing!
You might have your work cut out with this one as you know what the wee Beaglies are like for running off. :P
If it were me, I would keep her on a long line for the time being, just in case she decides that she would like to move in with someone else!! You could get one of your friends to take her and you could hide behind a tree and call her. That would be fun and should improve her recall.
I hope that's a little help to you. I know how frustrating it is to be shouting at a little white bottom away in the distance!!!! :lol:
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

Yep - over confident and cocky you got her spot on!

Back on a long line for now, I'm hoping she settles down a bit and it's just an adolescent stage but she's definately become much more stubborn lately. My housemates have noticed it too, when they ask her to sit, she'll check their hands to see if they have something worth sitting for!

Well, I got my anti-Dana alright!
beagler

Post by beagler »

:lol: :lol:
he he, welcome to the joys of Beagle ownership, that's a typical Beagle for you!!!! "What's in it for me??!" is definately the attitude! Both my rascals are the same! And why not I suppose, we all need wages!! I have become the most stubborn owner since getting the hooligan hounds! Play them at their own game! :P

Good luck! :lol: