Good Name for New Behaviour

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

minkee

Good Name for New Behaviour

Post by minkee »

This question is most likely for Erica, as she has a list of excellent words for behaviours from her dogs, I seem to recall. Allons'y for 'Run away' and Accio for 'Come' being just 2 that I can think of.

I want to teach Scout an 'emergency stop' / 'down' - body and head flat to the floor. I haven't even BEGUN training this yet, although she can do the final pose when I ask for 'head down' when she's lying down. My thought is half that it's something we can do while out playing ball, and half a good idea (if I can get her head on the floor then she's less likely to be able to see anything distracting). We may or may not be able to get there - she has her own ideas about relinquishing her attention if something good is going on (such as watching where the ball is going) - but at any rate, it's something we can attempt :)

However! I don't want to call it 'Drop!' because 'drop it' already means drop whatever you've got. I don't want to use 'Stop!' as that's probably likely to come up in regular use. What's a clever or fun command I could attach to this? Or do you have any other examples of good words for fun behaviours? :)
Ari_RR

Re: Good Name for New Behaviour

Post by Ari_RR »

We call this "Wait!".... meaning stop, freeze, wait for me to come over and release from this position.
Haven't added the laying down part.. but I am thinking - it can be rain, snow.. Going out in less then perfect condition is a challenge; laying down with naked tummy would probably be way too much for my fearless, rugged lion hunter to deal with :lol:

I am sure Erica will come up with a better word, though.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I was wondering about 'Duck' as this is the action you'd take if being buzzed by a (very) low-flying airplane. This has the added advantage that if a waterbird should appear out of nowhere and someone exclaims 'duck!' Scout will automatically be distracted from chasing it :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

I know a lot of people who call it "flat". 8)
minkee

Post by minkee »

JudyN wrote: This has the added advantage that if a waterbird should appear out of nowhere and someone exclaims 'duck!' Scout will automatically be distracted from chasing it :lol:
I like it :lol: Although flat is a very sensible choice too!

We already use 'wait' as just a 'stick around about where you are please' command. Actually, more just a 'don't do anything just yet' command, now I think about it.
easilyconfused

Post by easilyconfused »

How about "Grenade" or "sniper" ?
PikiPiki

Post by PikiPiki »

Oooh, I really like sniper! =3

'Sniper, get down!' I play way too many Call of Duty games, haha. I'm going to steal that one. <3
Erica

Post by Erica »

I would use "Petrificus!" because I'm a total Potterhead. I'd also consider "Hit the deck!" though that might be too long...

All of my special cues are fandom related. xD (Allons-y from Doctor Who and Accio from Harry Potter, from your examples.) So it would be "Vatican Cameos" for Sherlock and as I said earlier, "Petrificus!" or "Stupefy!" for HP..."Stairs, bro!" or "HONK HONK" for Homestuck....;)

I like "sniper" and "duck," though "sniper" might not be advisable, since people might think you're serious. ;)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Post by minkee »

:lol: I don't know if I could bring myself to yell "STUPIFY!" all the way across a field. It would be fun though!

I don't know what Homestuck is! But including the 'HONK' has made me laugh, because we've been playing a Star Wars game with some of my friends lately, and I like to ask people "What noise does a Wookiee make?" The answer is invariably either 'I'm not telling!' or "HOOOOOOOOOOOOOONK".
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Stupify!! Love it!! I dare you...........

Especially if you also take to carrying a wand and waving it about at the same time......
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

What would you automatically shout if it were an emergency? In an emergency you're not going to be thinking and that's likely to come out of your mouth before any clever or fun word :wink: I simply used "down". I didn't really care whether my dog was on its side, had its head to the floor or anything like that, I just wanted him to stop and drop ASAP.
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

How about "halt", "freeze" or "NOW"?

You could always go with "plank" but it might sound a bit odd in a few years when everyones forgotten and owling has taken over the world.... :lol: :wink:

Whatever you pick you'll have to upload a video of her when she's learned the new command of course :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules