Happy new years!!!

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sj96skittles

Happy new years!!!

Post by sj96skittles »

Happy new years everyone!!! :D Havent been here for a while. Last year, I have to admit, I barely walked my dogs or payed any attention to them. We gave them food and water and thats pretty much it. I tried training them and walking them for a while but stopped. But this year. That's about to change forever. My new years resulution is to give my dogs Beauty and Belle alot more attention than they've recieved in the past. Hopefully my parents and sister'll do the same. I feel like this will improve my life and theirs. In fact I just finished walking them and I feel great. We also are starting to just hang out with them in the living room with their leashes on for a while while watching TV. I hope I stick to walking the dogs 1 at a time everyday and giving them the love they deserve <3
Nettle

Re: Happy new years!!!

Post by Nettle »

Well done for such a generous New Year resolution - your dogs will love you for that :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Staceyxxx

Post by Staceyxxx »

You will notice their behaviour change straight away, i couldnt walk my dogs for a week and they was very highly strung and misbehaving, walked them saturday & sunday and they are so chilled already!! Good luck & hope you stick to it :)
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Thanks :) so far so good. Just came back from a walk. Its sooooo much easier walking them 1 at a time. But since theyre sisters we always have to worry about separating them because if 1 dog is going out with me the other goes crazy. Pig ears solve that problem but i cant give them pig ears everyday. What should i do?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Kongs might be more effective, and will certainly be healthier! Stuff two kongs at night (ideas here), freeze them overnight, then give them one when you leave. It'll take them longer and give them something to do while you leave. Gradually, they'll look forward to the other leaving for a walk - they get yummies and some quiet time!

Edit: And walking one at a time is a very good idea! Keep it up!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Erica wrote:Kongs might be more effective, and will certainly be healthier! Stuff two kongs at night (ideas here), freeze them overnight, then give them one when you leave. It'll take them longer and give them something to do while you leave. Gradually, they'll look forward to the other leaving for a walk - they get yummies and some quiet time!

Edit: And walking one at a time is a very good idea! Keep it up!
Should i stuff them with peanut butter? Will i be able to use this every day?
Last edited by sj96skittles on Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Erica

Post by Erica »

I wouldn't recommend peanut butter every day - for one it'd get boring, for another it might be a bit unhealthy. Alternate peanut butter with plain, unflavored yoghurt with chunks of carrot and apple in it, and stuff like that. The thread I posted has tons more ideas....
sj96skittles

Post by sj96skittles »

Erica wrote:I wouldn't recommend peanut butter every day - for one it'd get boring, for another it might be a bit unhealthy. Alternate peanut butter with plain, unflavored yoghurt with chunks of carrot and apple in it, and stuff like that. The thread I posted has tons more ideas....
Unflavered yogurt??? Never heard of using that in a kong!! Plus i dont think my parents would let me do that. Theyd think im crazy. Wheres the thread with your ideas?
Erica

Post by Erica »

Why not try? It's not that expensive, and it's easy to keep a small tub in the fridge until you're making the kongs.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4389

^ There's the thread. :)