I'm broken :(

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

bendog

I'm broken :(

Post by bendog »

So I fractured a metacarpal in my right hand whilst walking the dogs yesterday (wasn't dogs fault)

It's very sore, and I'm in Uni all week (except for Wed morning when I have an appointment at fracture clinic) so I'm feeling a tad sorry for myself.

It also means the dogs will be having shorter walks as I can only take one at a time, and will have to keep them on lead an stick to good paths as I'm paronoid about falling on my broken hand.

[insert sympathy here]

On the bright side (for the more macabre amongst us) it's coming up with a hell of a bruise so I'll post a picture later!
Ari_RR

Re: I'm broken :(

Post by Ari_RR »

I am that good in sympathy expressions... But think of all the things you will learn to do with just left hand - writing, cooking, cleaning, moving furniture, etc. That will be an impressive skill set :lol: :lol:
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

First of all, tons of sympathy for you!! I hope you heal quickly!!

Assuming you are right-handed, I agree with Ari - you'll be surprised at what you can learn to do with your left hand! :D And studies have shown that when we use our left hand (when right is our dominant) to do tasks we normally wouldn't with that hand, it stimulates our "right brain" and raises our creativity levels. So, another upside to an otherwise nasty situation. :D :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Oh no Bendog! I am so sorry to hear this. I guess it is good that the dogs weren't involved though. :D

I'm still going with the my hand is still functioning and the swelling has pretty well gone away and the brusie doesn't look so bad anymore theory that I didn't acutally break anything and I'll pass on an expensive trip somewhere to get x-rays. I feel for you though, while the expense is part of the reason I am avoiding taking my hand to the doctor, it is also the fear that there is some small fracture and somebody would want to put a cast on my hand. Which would be my right hand and I am right handed and I feel like I need my hand to be usable right now.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Thanks guys.

I have to say I was in hysterics trying to get dressed this morning! Was just so funny - even had to get boyfriend to do my bra up for me!

I'm in UK so free healthcare however sitting in hospital for four hours waiting to be seen wasn't much fun with no pain relief or ice pack. Especially when people were coming in after me and being seen straight away, and all I wanted was a quick X ray.

My Nan broke her wrist quite badly last year (and she' s 70 years old) and she waited 6 hours to be seen also with no pain relief. And then the cast was put on too tight and she's lost sensation in two fingers as a result.

I'm normally all for the NHS, but leaving people in a lot of pain for so long isn't great. Especially when it only took literally 5 minutes to get an xray and a splint on when I was finally seen. And any idiot could tell it was broken without even needing to see an Xray just from the size of it!
WufWuf

Post by WufWuf »

Ouch! Poor Bendog, at least it's a great excuse not to do too much over christmas :wink: Keep warm eat loads and you'll be all healed up in no time :D
Operant conditioning rocks but classical conditioning rules
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Some sympathy for you-----> Image

Just what you need, with three dogs, a PhD and Xmas :roll: At least you have an excuse for wrapping your pressies really badly :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Erica

Post by Erica »

JudyN wrote:Some sympathy for you-----> Image

Just what you need, with three dogs, a PhD and Xmas :roll: At least you have an excuse for wrapping your pressies really badly :lol:
I suggest bags and tissue paper. ;)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

bendog wrote:I'm in UK so free healthcare however sitting in hospital for four hours waiting to be seen wasn't much fun with no pain relief or ice pack. Especially when people were coming in after me and being seen straight away, and all I wanted was a quick X ray.
Unfortunately with medical care it's all about triage rather than first come first serve.

sorry you injured your wrist, hope things get better soon.

Oh, and when having your boyfriend help you with the bra, just be sure it's understood that which direction you need the help with :lol:
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Odin sends his sympathy. He's feeling sorry for himself too.

He slipped on the ice in the yard as he was jumping into the landy this morning and flipped himself onto his backside. Thankfully he only hurt his pride, but he's lost his confidence to jump in, so now the front paws make it, but we're back to manually lifting in his Lordship's back end. It's funny, - (but only because he's ok). He's normally so immaculate, but he's been running around with a muddy backside all day. :lol:

He's actually done it before, last year, but he gets over it. He's normally extremely sure footed, but ice doesn't take any prisoners.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Aww poor Odin.

And thankfully I was organised this year and wrapped all my presents up on Saturday! Have asked my Nan to cut my Christmas dinner up extra small for me so I can just use a fork :lol:

And jacksdad, I know it's a triage system, but I was at a walk in minor injuries unit rather than A&E, so I assumed I'd be seen fairly quickly, most people just seemed to be there with earaches and stuff and were in and out within minutes, so not entirely sure how that classes above a broken bone, but hey ho.
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

Oh dear Bendog, no cooking Christmas lunch for you, you'll have to sit back with some wine instead :?
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Sorry to hear of your injury and hope you are allowed a lazy time and recover quickly :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
bendog

Post by bendog »

Yep, who needs painkillers when I can have wine :)

Was meant to be in Uni til Friday, but as there is very little I can do in the lab I think I'll stay at home and rest instead.

At fracture clinic tomorrow so I'll know how long I have to keep this stupid splint on for.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

now you just need to clicker train your dogs to bring you the bottle and a glass :P