Would like to buy a Dobeman Puppy

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dave112

Post by dave112 »

i have been looking into chancepixies as they came reccommed by another member. They look very good. After exchanging a few emails they said if wanted too i could put a deposit for a puppy later this year. i am pretty keen on doing this. the deposit is 100. i have emailed asking how deposit works etc whether there i a contract. im new to this lol. They said whoever pays deposit 1st get 1st choice. They said they had 2 litters last year tho that had no males! They said its rare tho... Looks pretty good tho. do buyers usually choose a puppy then collect when older? or go when they old enogh and take same day? Also are they usually cash sales. Thank u all for your help recently!!!!!!
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would want to visit a litter several times before paying and taking my puppy home with me, that gives me plenty of chance to talk with the breeders and see what the litter and any adults are like.

I disagree with the age of pups leaving the mother - it does vary from breed to breed and to individual pups as to what age is best..

Pups at 8 weeks are just entering a 'fear stage' - this is where suddenly, they go from being confident and curious to being fearful of many things and its natures way of making sure puppies who are suddenly more mobile and active, do not get themselves into big trouble.

THe problem is, that you then want to take a pup home at 8 weeks.. slap bang in that fear stage.. and this is really where you want a pup to be confident and easy going about things.

I would not, then - depending on everything else being right with the breeder, be too worried about picking up a pup at 7 weeks (or even six, again dependant on breed and individual pups).

All that said.. some puppies at 7 or even 8 weeks may well need the interaction with their mother and their litter mates for a little while longer, so as I say.. it does depend on the individuals as well, and of course.. where the pup is going to.

Coming into my house, i wanted and needed a very confident puppy, and thats what I picked out (well.. she was earmarked for me from pretty much day one). I had four adult dogs and my oldest ***** is quite the old battleaxe at times and I needed a bossy, confident pup who wouldnt be cowed by this. A pup right in its fear stage would have been no good, nor a wimpy or nervous puppy.

Going into a home where there are no other dogs to interact and learn from though, a pup could well benefit from an extra week or two with the breeders adult dogs and his/her littermates.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

aw I thought epupz was quite good! Anyone can advertise like on champdogs and yes there are rubbish breeders but I found a great one I am still in touch with now... apply the tips above - don't go anywhere with a discount for no papers, anyone who wants money before you see the litter etc...

Although I found when researching the breed there were one or two kennel names that kept coming up so I looked into those too and contacted those breeders... didn't end up with one of their pups but I understand her pedigree papers much more now and recognize some kennel names in there...
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

These sites are only as good as the people who use them... and who run them.

Epupz dont give a damn what quality of pups they are advertising.

Champdogs do, if anyone reports to them that things are not as they should be and can provide evidence of that, the advertiser will be removed from champdogs, and this has happened in the past.
Bilclarie

Post by Bilclarie »

dave112 wrote:i have been looking into chancepixies as they came reccommed by another member. They look very good. After exchanging a few emails they said if wanted too i could put a deposit for a puppy later this year. i am pretty keen on doing this. the deposit is 100. i have emailed asking how deposit works etc whether there i a contract. im new to this lol. They said whoever pays deposit 1st get 1st choice. They said they had 2 litters last year tho that had no males! They said its rare tho... Looks pretty good tho. do buyers usually choose a puppy then collect when older? or go when they old enogh and take same day? Also are they usually cash sales. Thank u all for your help recently!!!!!!
Hi

Glad to hear your getting a puppy, deposits are like a holding fee, it stops people just comming to look at a litter saying they want one and never returning to collect, I take a deposit usually a 3rd of the total price, it stops time waisters, and genuin people don't loose out on a puppy because your waiting for John Smith to come back to you!!!!!!! puppys are veiwed at 4 weeks old in my case, you have a look at males or females depending on what sex you are after, you can choose your puppy at that age but your better off having a second look at them at 6/7 weeks old certainly if your after a puppy for showing, but remember what you buy at 9 weeks old isn't going to look the same at 6 months a year old etc etc as they change right up to around 2 years old.

Good luck
Bilclarie Dobermann's
If it's not a Dobermann it's just a dog
www.bilclarie.com
[img]http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p244/bilclarie/untitled.jpg[/img]