The only one who understands me is my dog.

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

pawprints1985

The only one who understands me is my dog.

Post by pawprints1985 »

what can't friends be as loyal as my dog that goes for family too. I am getting to the point where I can't stand my in-laws.
Vicki, Jason, Jetta, Jetty, and Izzabel
CoolDog

Re: The only one who understands me is my dog.

Post by CoolDog »

I hear what you're saying, PawPrints, as I live close to mine. I can't really complain as my in-laws treat me better than my own flesh and blood. Dogs don't judge people; people judge people. When I have one of those days with my in-laws, I just get away, find my dog Sheba, and we're walking to wherever to get the exercise, peace, and quiet we need. But, if I couldn't get away, it would depend on the words and/or actions taken against me, which give me two options: (1) Ignore; or (2) Tell them how you feel, however, keep any and all negativity, especially the judgements, out of what you're trying to say, and keep it factual. In other words, be as positive as you can while keeping a positive or optimistic attitude. You'll find you'll get further along with your in-laws or other people.

Aren't you glad dogs don't judge people? They just take us as we are and probably think we do or say strange things, but...

NOTE: I apologize to all the members here as I do realize this is a dog forum, but this post sounded to me a member needed advice, so I gave a short-version of my advice.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Yep,

"the more people I meet the more I love my dog"

my kind of inlaws (boyfriends parents) do my head in most of the time!

Best cure is a nice long walk with the dog(s) somewhere quiet. Usually if I'm stressed I'll just take Bendog because I can let him off lead and not really need to keep a close eye on him. Walking 2 or 3 dogs together just gets me tied up in knots with leads!
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I think what CoolDog is also saying is that you have to find better, more positive ways to deal with your in-laws, just as you will similarly do with other people who come into your life. When you deal with things and people in a positive way, your impression on others should be warm and inviting as to allow them to get to know you better as you would with them without repelling them.

And CoolDog is right: Dogs don't judge, people do! :wink:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
pawprints1985

Post by pawprints1985 »

Thank you all I smoothed things over with my in-laws I hope but it helps that in seeking advise for my dog I find advise for life. I do think she would talk back if she could.
Vicki, Jason, Jetta, Jetty, and Izzabel
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

I wish you well in trying to make your relationship with your in-laws "smoother." You have to remember that when you meet people, even with a positive attitude, a cheerful deposition, or whatever you want to call it, they may not get a long with for some reason; nonetheless, you left a good impression on them somewhere and they will eventually see that later. In the meantime, just don't let it bring you "down" when this happens. Keep a positive attitude! :wink:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown