scary tv

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

kicker1948

scary tv

Post by kicker1948 »

My husband and I have had our little schweenie for two years. We recently switched tv's from a 52in flatscreen hd lcd to a 60in flatscreen hd lcd led. We don't see a big difference, but apparently Gus does. He is scared to be in the same room with it. This is becoming a concern because he no longer spends time in the room where we are in the evenings. He will come in if he thinks he is going to get a treat but leaves quickly when that event has passed. He used to sleep at my feet or next to me on the sofa. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make him feel more comfortable with this tv :?:
Erica

Re: scary tv

Post by Erica »

Is it only when it's on? Some TVs make buzzing sounds that range from audible to really high pitched, so only kids and animals can hear it (our TV does this a lot...sometimes it drops down into audible range though, and we hit it and it stops haha).

Don't know what to do if it's not just a high-pitched buzzing, though some more senior members probably have a few ideas!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

Erica wrote:though some more senior members probably have a few ideas!
:lol: :lol: :lol: No Emms and Nettle and everyone else...Erica is NOT calling you more experienced folks old. :lol: :lol: haha :lol: :lol:
--dontpugme
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I have problems with some tvs because they flicker terribly and make a horrible sound that's just sort of on the very edge of my hearing if that makes sense. People think I'm making it up because they can see and hear nothing but it really is awful. I wonder whether your dog is hearing/seeing something you're not with the new tv.

Oh, plasma tvs are the worst for this in my experience but it's not limited to them.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Oh dear! I meant senior as in, been here longer! Nothing with real-life ages! xD
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Im young enough not to care... :) In fact being thought of as 'senior' is pretty flattering :D

Nettle might eat you for breakfast though... :lol:

I would guess the tv is emitting a noise thats scary, but its hard for us to tell as we cannot hear it. Try keeping up the rewards, lots andlots of tiny rewards and then turn the tv off and leave the room before you run out of treats, and try to slowly build up the time he can tolerate it for. May mean not watching much for a while though!

(60" thats huuuuuuuuuuuuuge, we got a 40" and I think its like being at the cinema already!)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

We haven't upgraded to a flat screen at all yet. The television is as thick as it is wide. :lol: :lol: 8)
--dontpugme
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Erica wrote:some more senior members probably have a few ideas!
OOOOH, this can only end one way....badly. :lol:

Clearly something wrong with the TV, I will PM your my address as a "legit" disposal "facility" so I can properly dispose of this for you.... :twisted: *wooohhoo finely might get that old 27" tube tv replaced*

Ok, Jokes aside. Possible noises makes since though. I wonder if there is an easy, cheap way to check this.
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

jacksdad wrote:Clearly something wrong with the TV, I will PM your my address as a "legit" disposal "facility" so I can properly dispose of this for you.... :twisted: *wooohhoo finely might get that old 27" tube tv replaced*
Bahahaha! :lol:
--dontpugme
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

I don't recommend anyone "hit" their TV sets in any way, because I can tell you from experience that this action doesn't work most of the time. Yes, I remember when the picture would roll or when one got this really high-pitched, the best way I can describe it is like a high-pitched whine, which drove me crazy! :roll: So, can you imagine how your dog must feel? Think about it: Dogs have a higher range of hearing, thus, they can hear frequencies we humans can't hear!

Jacksdad, you said "wooohhoo finely might get that old 27" tube tv replaced" What century are you living in? :lol:

And, as for the title of "Senior Member", we're only as old as we feel! :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Old and don't care :lol: :mrgreen:

Spend quality time with the dog in the room with the TV off. Play with him, do some interactive training with him. Keep doing this until he is totally cool with being in the room.

Then try him with TV on and sound off.

If he is fine with that, try him with TV on and sound very low. If he isn't, you know there is noise or flickering light that is frightening him. You can't train out fear, so he will have to be in another room when the TV is on, and preferably after a good walk and with something really nice to occupy him.

You will need to get into the habit of switching the TV off unless actively watching it - no more 'moving wallpaper' effect.

Or go back to the old-style one. Which is what I would do. No home entertainment is worth a frightened dog - and fearful dogs can develop some very upsetting behaviours.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
wvvdiup1

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Nettle wrote: Old and don't care
Speak for yourself, because I still get carded when I go into a bar or pub, or even a club, and it makes me feel really good, especially when one is chronologically in their 40s! :lol: :mrgreen:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

I'm repeating Erica's question, but is Gus scared of the TV when it's on and off too?

How about on but with the volume turned down?

If you can narrow down the problem to exactly what is is about TV he doesn't like, you've a better chance to fix it. It might be the TV has a high pitched ringing sound which you can't hear, but sounds like tinnitus to Gus. How far away does he back off when the TV is on?

He clearly finds something about it unpleasant, but if he can still be tempted by a treat, he might get used to it.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Although sound theory sounds good... With our dog we noticed that he sometimes reacts to images on the TV, in particulat images of dogs and humans. This happens rarely, but when it does - if it's a dog, he seems to want to play with it, when it's a human (especially a scary looking one) - he becomes defensive/aggressive, snarly face, growling..
When this happens, we immediately switch channels and he comes down right away.
Which leads me to believe that sometimes he thinks that those images are real.
We have a 50" TV. I would imagine that with a 60" it's even easier for a dog to get confused.
Just a thought....
kicker1948

Post by kicker1948 »

Thanks for all the input. I think we have narrowed the problem down to sight. Gus will come into the room with the tv on or off, if there are treats or he's going to get brushed. As soon as that is over though, he leaves the room. We have tried turning the sound off and it doesn't seem to make a difference. I have noticed that since we got the new tv, he is now paying attention to the one in our bedroom which is a lot smaller. He looks at it and tilts his head back and forth then when he doesn't feel like he's in danger, he curls up and goes to sleep on the bed. He has been around this tv since we got him and he has never paid any attention to it before. The last couple of days, though he has come into the tv room from behind my husband's chair and sits between the chair and the table and watches the tv for a little while. Maybe that's progress. We're trying to do everything we can to make him realize that good things happen in that room. He's very smart, I hope he gets it soon, I miss him warming my feet at night. By the way, he did come into the room on Thanksgiving and watch part the the dog show. He likes other dogs and is not aggressive at all.