Emaciated rescue

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

OhioRuthie

Emaciated rescue

Post by OhioRuthie »

Zoe is an emaciated collie/lab mix she's 12yrs old. I got her from the dog warden on thursday. Vet expects her to make a full recovery. Today I noticed her eyes are sparkling! She has come to life meaning now she is up and into everything. Pulls food off the counter, pulls the trays out of the parrots cage. Aside from the dog food she is eating snacks of cheese. I've never had an animal in this bad of shape. Her bits of fluffy fur hide most of her skeleton. She had a flea allergy so she's missing fur on her lower body. So her skeletal bottom is very obvious. She is a tail wagger...she wags normally but will do a circular wag often. Anyone every have emaciated dog..what snacks did you give your dog to help build them up?
============================================
My goal is to become the kind of person my pets think I am

My websites:
http://www.freewebs.com/ruthiesfanpages

My macaw said I'm a good girl and I believe him 8)
Nettle

Re: Emaciated rescue

Post by Nettle »

I just gave them real food in small quantities, and often.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
OhioRuthie

Post by OhioRuthie »

Yeah that's what I'm doing with snacks of cheese...just wondering if there is any other kinds of food that will help her along.
============================================
My goal is to become the kind of person my pets think I am

My websites:
http://www.freewebs.com/ruthiesfanpages

My macaw said I'm a good girl and I believe him 8)
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

While many don't like feeding grains (including me, most of the time), in the book Raw Dog Food - Make It Easy For You And Your Dog
by Carina MacDonald, she talks about using them as a way to help build up weight in certain dogs, under certain circumstances. She recommends either adding a little boiled rice (white or brown, though she often uses brown) or a little bit of soaked or cooked rolled oats to their meal each day. Unless the dog you have has a grain allergy, this might be a way to go.

Again, unless an allergy is present, I see no harm in these two grains and would use them myself in small quantities added to a nutritious meal to help build up weight slowly, but steadily. And I would also do as Nettle said, give several smaller meals throughout the day versus one or two larger ones per day.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

I used Nutri-Cal. It's a high calorie supplement that comes in this smelly paste that
creatures just love. I used it for starving kittens so that they got the calories without
the volume. It can be found at PetsMart and other such places.

Congrats on giving this little girl a new life for Christmas :D
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I think Nettles advice would be best. Little and often. I would think giving her lots of food and lots of variety when she's not used to it could cause her to be sick or to get the squits which you really don't want with a seriously underweight dog.

Satin balls are apparently good for putting weight on, I know quite a few people who've used them with rescues. Googling satin balls brings up several recipes for them.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Oh yes, Nutri-cal is great for building stamina and strength. I'd forgotten about that PennyWhistle. I used that for one of my dogs years ago with great success when she wasn't bouncing back well from a surgery she had. It really helped.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

on the real food suggestion. I can't remember if your comfortable with RAW or not, but if not you can still do close to the same idea just lightly cook the meat. but keep the veggies and fruits raw.

very lightly cook chicken, or beef or lamb for example in small quantities. veggies minced up really, really good almost to the pulpy/juice state. and ripe fruit. all small quantities to start.

To give you an idea of what Jack eats and I am moving him to raw as we speak and carefully expanding as my knowledge grows.

chicken (wings on the bone, and chicken breasts)
beef
chicken liver
spinach
broccoli
Brussels sprouts
plain yogurt with live cultures
brewer's yeast
raw honey
eggs
apples
carrots (both whole and minced)
peas
pumpkin
rice

I am sure I am forgetting something.

I would suspect you would treat this a bit like a starved human, lots of little often so you don't overwhelm their system. also careful to not give too rich etc that kind of thing.
pawprints1985

Post by pawprints1985 »

Our dog was 10lbs under weight when we got her we put her on a high protein food and gave her snacks of chicken and lots of love and TLC
Vicki, Jason, Jetta, Jetty, and Izzabel