Dylan's way of greeting me....cute but what does it mean??

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Dylan's way of greeting me....cute but what does it mean??

Post by ladybug1802 »

Whenever I come home and Dylan is at home he has the cutest way of greeting me! He grabs whatever toy is nearest to him (sometimes it is his cushion that he uses as a pillow sometimes because a toy just isnt close enough!) and just wiggles around, fairly slowly, around my legs for cuddles! He doesnt want to give me the toy, he just likes to parade around with it!

I love it, but just wondered if anyone knew what he is doing, in doggy speak, when he does this? Thought you might know Nettle?? :D
Horace's Mum

Re: Dylan's way of greeting me....cute but what does it mean??

Post by Horace's Mum »

Horus does this too, but with him I think it stems from some of his old insecurities. Can't imagine it would be the same for Dylan so I will look forward to other replies! I also think it is seriously cute. :roll:
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Aw thats nice to know Horus does it too! Its cute isnt it! I would love to know what he is thinking when he does it though, wouldnt you!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

It's actually called "parading" too :)

It's one of those behaviours with several theories for the reason but nobody actually knows why (like rolling in fox muck). Mine do it too. I just admire whatever they've got while they wiggle round me.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah parading....thats totally what it looks like!! He seems so proud to show me whatever toy he has picked up and just goes all wiggly....adorable!

Thanks though...now I know what to call it!!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Do they do anything like that as pups in the wild? As in showing off their catch to mum? What makes me chuckle is when Horus grabs the nearest thing, which is occasionally a sock or other random bit of ribbon, but recently has been a foot that he chewed off a cuddly toy ages ago and keeps cropping up! It's not quite so easy to be honest about how impressed you are when presented with a minute stuffed foot :lol: :lol:
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

:lol:

This evening when I came in, he hadnt been in long I dont think (my dog walker friend drops him off about an hour or half an hour before i get home usually), and his toys were just that little bit too far away from the door, so he picked up the edge of his bed and tried to drag it part of the distance to another toy!
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

My sister had a Golden Retriever who did this throughout his lifetime. He lived during the
era of Star Wars action figures, and those were his absolute favorites to parade with.
Almost every photo of him has some poor character with head and arms sticking out under
one lip, looking like they are waving desperately for rescue, and their toes crinkling up the
other lip :lol:
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

This very cute! Ari does a similar thing but not quite..
When I get home, he first does his wiggly butt and tail dance, squeezes between my legs half way so can give him butt scratch, then runs away, comes back with a toy, drops it on the floor in front of me and looks at me. When i reach for the toy, he grabs it first, moves back a few steps, drops the toy on the floor again and looks at me.. I reach for the toy again, he grabs it first again, moves back.... and so the games begins... Really, one of the best moments in a typical day.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Rosie did that every day when I got home or when she got very excited. It was definitely one of the most adorable things I've ever seen. I wish Sampson did it! :lol:
Erica

Post by Erica »

Ozzie does this sometimes - when he gets excited, like when someone comes in, he grabs a toy and carries it around. He's a lab mix - could the retrieving behavior be related, that is, because they're bred to gently hold and carry things, could that behavior be rewarding to them?

Of course, that would only explain the retrieving dogs' habits...
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14