Any advice for breaking up pit bull fighs?

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thepennywhistle

Any advice for breaking up pit bull fighs?

Post by thepennywhistle »

My neighbor's pit bulls went at it again last night. There was one adult and two small children
in the house where this took place. I don't know who was being attacked. I pray it was dog on
dog, but the terrified screaming of the little girls would raise the hair on the back of your neck.
I want nothing to do with this, but I know if one (or more) of them go after the little girls, I'm
going to end up in the middle of it.

Does anyone have any advice at all about how to break up such a fight and avoid serious injuries
themselves?
Ari_RR

Re: Any advice for breaking up pit bull fighs?

Post by Ari_RR »

Wow.. Chances are high of getting hurt, but if you must, then I think here is the general approach:
1 - stay calm, don't scream at the dogs, they won't hear you being in survival mode, and don't get between them once they latched onto each other
2 - grab a leash, thread under the belly of one of them, put the leash hook through the handle, pull - now the leash is tight over the dog's body - and try to attach the hook to something.. The point here is to anchor one of the dogs.
3 - grab the other one by hind legs and pull her away from the first one, which has already been attached to something. If you can turn her over on her back - even better.. Move away is a circular motion, get her to a different room if possible...

Take a deep breath.. Examine yourself and the dogs, call the vet if needed...
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Any chance of making a call (I'd do it anonymously) to try and get one or more of those dogs out of that house before one of those girls gets hurt or killed? I would think if animal control can't do anything child protective services could step in. I am not in any way anti pit-bull in general, but this situation sounds like a tragedy just waiting to happen.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
Wes

Post by Wes »

I agree to call animal control. It's not healthy for anyone, human or dog, to be in that situation. Thank god I never had to use it with Rosie, but I always had a break stick in my pack when I went out with her in case a loose dog were to run up to her. My partner called it overkill, but I always would rather be on the safe side and have it just in case.
thepennywhistle

Wes wrote:I agree to call animal control. It's not healthy for anyone, human or dog, to be in that situation. Thank god I never had to use it with Rosie, but I always had a break stick in my pack when I went out with her in case a loose dog were to run up to her. My partner called it overkill, but I always would rather be on the safe side and have it just in case.
Suzette wrote:Any chance of making a call (I'd do it anonymously) to try and get one or more of those dogs out of that house before one of those girls gets hurt or killed? I would think if animal control can't do anything child protective services could step in. I am not in any way anti pit-bull in general, but this situation sounds like a tragedy just waiting to happen.
Good advice from both of you. I'd love to do it anonymously, but it isn't possible here. I called once to get instructions
on how to report a barking dog ( 5 pm to 4 am that time). I didn't report her or give my name, just got the info, but when I called the county back several weeks later for a question about the lawn police, I was answered with a cheerful "Hi. Do you need animal control again?" No anonymity possible, evidently. But still, something really ugly is going to happen, and I can't bear the thought of the girls getting caught in the middle of that. I almost called 911 last night, and I should have.

Wes, what is a break stick?
dontpugme

Post by dontpugme »

http://www.pbrc.net/breaksticks.html

I think this is the break stick Wes mentioned.
--dontpugme
Wes

Post by Wes »

Yes, though mine was just a cut piece of wood that I wrapped the end in fabric, then duct tape so it would not hurt should I need to use it.
bendog

Post by bendog »

It's a tough one. Personally I'd panic and get myself bitten more than likely.

I think if it's dog-dog, and neither of them are your dogs then you probably shouldn't intervene. Awful if one of the dogs gets seriously hurt, but better than you getting hurt or killed.

If you do intervene, expect to get bitten. But I think Ari's advice is probably correct for most dog fights. Either anchor one dog, and pull the other away, or get two people and grab a dog each. However since Pitties are reknowned for gripping and not letting go I'm not sure this would work. And besides, having tried to remove my terrier from a scrap, I realise it is difficult to even grab a dog if they are rolling around and scrapping.

If the dog was lunging aggressively for a child, I'd probably try to get in there first, stand infront of the child and be firm and use Voice of Doom etc or push a stick into it's mouth as it was going for the bite. I doubt a water pistol would work, but a whole bucket of water thrown over the dog might if it's already attacking.
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

bendog wrote:I think if it's dog-dog, and neither of them are your dogs then you probably shouldn't intervene. Awful if one of the dogs gets seriously hurt, but better than you getting hurt or killed.
I agree 100% with you Bendog, but I think that PennyWhistle mentioned that she would only think of intervening if one of the girls was involved, not just the dogs.

I still think it's better to be proactive rather than reactive. Getting those dogs out of that house by whatever means it takes and away from those children needs to be the priority. In addition to the possible physical danger for the children, I shudder just thinking of the emotional trauma those girls are suffering watching those dogs fight viciously. You've been put in a tough spot PW, I feel for you.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
thepennywhistle

Thank you, everyone, for all the good advice regarding this mess.

I have talked to social services, and they cannot help, especially as the children are
not there all the time. Apparently Dad has primary custody, which I was unaware of,
though they seem to be there a lot. They are concerned, but until something happens,
they can't do anything. So far it seems the only people bitten have been the parents
and they didn't report it, so there is no record of doggie violence. They recommend
I call 911 about a child screaming while it is going on, so there can be some record
of the dogs behaving dangerously, which might help them act in the future.

I have no intention of getting involved unless a human needs help getting a dog off
them, and my concern is primarily the girls. I can't get there fast enough to prevent
an attack, but I can help stop it. The break sticks are a new idea (thank you, Wes!)
and I intend to make a couple this weekend. One for me, of course, and I'm going to
leave one on her porch with the instructions that Don'tPugMe found (brilliant! Thank you!)
so at least they will know how to get the dogs apart. I heard her this last time yelling
for one child to "bring me that bucket of water!" and then heard the sounds of her
beating on one of the dogs with what sounded like leather, so she clearly does not know
the best way to handle this. My wee giftie won't stop the fights, but hopefully will end
them faster and with less risk to all.

Thanks again. I really appreciate your help.
Wes

Post by Wes »

Too bad social services cannot help, what a horrible situation. :( I feel bad for the dogs as well as the children; poor pitties must be so terrified and miserable all the time.