"Towels"

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ari_RR

"Towels"

Post by Ari_RR »

Someone (bendog?) mentioned a game where treats were wrapped in towels for the dog to unwrap and find... This has been a huge hit with Ari!! Anything - treats, or toys - goes inside a small towel inside a bigger one inside a still bigger one. A terrific game, thanks
bendog

Re: "Towels"

Post by bendog »

Your welcome, I can't take the credit though as I'm sure I heard it from someone else on here first!

Glad you've found another game he enjoys though.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Bendog and all, HELP, we are almost out of towels!
It turned out that Ari doesn't have a lot of patience, and often prefers the "brutal force" approach of ripping them apart, instead of unwrapping them nicely :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Send more towels !!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

I tried this one with Neo..she can't seem to figure out that the treats are actually inside the towel..(not the brightest crayon in the box), so she loses interest in it and we have to redirect her back to it. :lol: She's like.."umm...why don't you just HAND me the treats..?"
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Use the smelly, really stinky ones.. She will figure it out in no time :lol:
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

I will give it a shot. :)
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Hmmm, maybe not.

Neo might be like Odin, and a bit too clever for an easy life. Odin used to play with toys and balls until he figured out I was being a bit stupid throwing them away every time he retrieved it. What am I doing that for??? There seems to be a 'logic' in him, which means he's just not really 'toy' orientated, which is a bit ironic given the video I just posted with him using a bit of rope as a toy to entertain Pippin. When you say "it's like why don't you just hand me the treats", I suspect that's exactly what she is thinking. Odin will sometimes chase a stick once, but very rarely twice. (I know sticks aren't good things to throw). Sometimes I think I should have called him Spock instead of Odin, just for his "That's illogical Captain" type moments... :lol:

You might have some success wrapping various treats in half a dozen towels left spread out around the house and let time run it's course. See what happens if Abby starts working out where the treats are first.

I had problems at first getting Odin just to take an interest in treats or toys, with exercise being the only thing he responded to with any vigour. He's a bit better now, and the secret was finding something he really liked, which happened to be half rancid "well past it's sell by date" chicken. I feared a lifetime of stinking fridges just to please the dog, but thankfully, a penny dropped, and Odin realised all treats were pretty good, and he got the message. We keep rotten chicken for special occassions.

There may be a toy I find he really likes, but not found it so far.

In contrast, Pippin's idea of a brilliant toy is anything he can fit in his mouth that isn't his.
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

Sometimes we refer to Abby as "smart dog" and Neo as "dumb dog" (affectionately of course), but we know she isn't dumb. Just things like "then dumb dog chased her tail for 5 minutes and made herself dizzy, and smart dog sat and watched her." Abby is just so much more of the traditional "dog"..comes over and sits, stays, lays down, shakes, etc. (and she doesn't have a tail to chase like Neo :lol: ) Neo is much like Odin I think in that she doesn't see the point of a lot of stuff that Abby does. She sees Abby sitting nicely waiting for treats and Neo's like..."Why are you waiting?? Just go grab them!" But that also comes at a price. Yesterday I was trying desperately with the clicker with Abby and she's just so focused on ME (which is good, I know) that she almost completely ignores the clicker. Abby is a complicated dog..we don't know her entire past, and we've assumed that she's been abused, so I think that almost definitely comes into play. In her previous life she was probably rewarded for sitting and doing nothing, so she thinks that's all she's allowed to do. Neo, on the other hand, is great with the clicker for a short period, but I can see the look in her eyes when she's like "ok, I'm done with this. give me the food now please." :P
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Nina Ottoson have a towel inlaid with a towel inlaid with a towel toy....

http://www.nina-ottosson.com/Dog-Treat-Trapper.php

Any old towel will do me!
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I sell these Nina Ottoson Treat Trappers - have 2 left if anyone is interested! I would do you a cheaper price...long as you are in the uK!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

abbyneo wrote:I tried this one with Neo..she can't seem to figure out that the treats are actually inside the towel..(not the brightest crayon in the box), so she loses interest in it and we have to redirect her back to it. :lol: She's like.."umm...why don't you just HAND me the treats..?"
on the flip side...could be Neo is a absolute genius :wink: