Gossip and Oya

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jacksdad

Re: Gossip and Oya

Post by jacksdad »

way to go.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Yay Oya! :D And Horace's Mom as well! I bet she'll be a great pony. :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Amazing progress in just 4 days! Today I could touch Oya all over with the glove on a stick, and then a feather duster, and then was able to use my hands to work over her back and up her neck, and eventually rub her cheek and ear on the right! I also started her with a bit of clicker stuff today, just clicking when she stepped towards me.
Gossip went out in the field on his own and was fine with it, and is doing really well with his transitions whist leading and listening to vocal commands.

I have more photos but need to upload to photobucket, I promise I will do it soon!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Success!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Just spent 3 sessions in about 1.5 hrs and we can now put the headcollar on in one piece and take it off again!! She has also discovered the joys of ear rubs :lol:

Going to recap once more in a couple of hours, but I am one very happy bunny.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Erica

Post by Erica »

So much progress in so little time! :)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That was lovely to watch. You have such good timing for the release of pressure. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

How lovely, I was hoping for a photo but got the video, massive bonus :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

There'll be no stopping you now she's discovered ear rubs :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Oh, that was lovely! She's a smart little girl, and trying soooo hard to do it right.
I love the look she gave you when you took the head collar off the first time.
"That's IT? That's all you wanted?"
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

:D :D :D I know, it is lovely watching that video back, I couldn't get any pictures because it is just me there, but I thought I might get the camera resting on the door and it worked!! It looks a little odd in double time but 9 minutes is a bit much to sit through!! I do love the way her facial expressions change as you go through the video, especially as she follows me with her head when I take pressure off, and the look in her eye when we are having a face rubbing session - she really enjoyed that!!

I went back 2 hrs later to bring Gossip in, and thought I would push things a little. Took the headcollar over but no feather duster or ribbon, just stroked her a couple of times to establish communication, touched her with the headcollar on her neck once or twice, and then out it straight on, and she never moved!! Did this 3 times and then put Goss back in, will do the same tomorrow and then take a deep breath and turn her out on Saturday. I am planning on going to the field several times just to touch her and put the headcollar on and off so when it comes to bringing her in she knows what we are doing. Plans are wonderful things though!! :roll: :lol:
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Oh she does love those ear rubs! :lol:

What great progress with getting her used to you.
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
bendog

Post by bendog »

I was just going to say, I love how half way through she starts watching you and moving towards you when you move to adjust the camera or something.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Well, this morning I more or less went straight in and put the headcollar on!! Probably being a bit demanding, but she took it and I had it on and off 10 times, at more or less normal speed and in the same way I would any other pony. So I took a deep breath and clipped a leadrope on to take her out into the paddock (the stable sits in a small paddock). Big mistake - she obviously still associates the lead rope with bad things, and the second we were out she started pulling away. I couldn't let go, I couldn't release the pressure, and I couldn't get the headcollar off! Spent several minutes spinning round while she pranced on back feet and generally acted like she had never been touched, until I gradually managed to settle her enough to slip it off.

After that if I went near her she would show me a close up of her back feet, front feet or all four feet, depending on how she felt! She had a great time hoolying round the place, but no way was I getting near her.

I pottered around in the stable and on the yard, and then tried again. I could touch her nose, but as soon as I turned away I felt the wind as her back feet passed my ear and after 3 repetitions I decided it was a bit too close for comfort. Felt awful, thought I had pushed too hard.

I got a bucket of carrots and she happily followed me into the stable and let me close the door to eat them. Not unhappy about the stable then, that's good. Put headcollar on and off about 20 times until she was so bored she never moved a muscle. Then opened the door and let her take herself outside at a smart trot!

Armed with a pocketful of carrots I tried again, bribing with a carrot to let me come close and using it to reward a touch as well as me turning away. It seemed to make just enough difference to remind her I'm a friend (possibly not quite "correct" for the method but if it works.....!) so I could walk up to her, rub her neck, give her carrot and walk away. I could put my arms around her neck and face, so went and got the headcollar again. Started by holding it in the carrot hand and stroking with the other one, then swapped them to stroke with the headcollar, then put it round her neck, then put the nosepiece on. No problem!! Off again, same again, then next time it just went on over the nose in one go. Did that a few times then walked away.

Brought Gossip back in from the other field, put him in the stable, Oya still outside. Once again used carrots to help me get close, and put headcollar on and off 5-6 times. Left it on the last time, quietly clipped a rope on, and then waited. No pressure, just waited for her to move herself, which she would do because she wanted to be with Gossip. Eventually she did walk forward, got a piece of carrot, door opened and in she went!! Unclipped leadrope, and then took her headcollar off.

I went down tonight to say goodnight and give them bedtime hay, and had my first ever cuddle with both of them at once, one on each shoulder. Oya loves her ears rubbed, Goss loves a neck scratch. In fact it was Oya who was waiting with her head over the door for me, and we had a cuddle over the door without a single grumpy face - another first.

I am so happy :D :D :D :lol: :lol:
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Took a deep breath today, and put them both out in the big field. Took Goss down first, then Oya. She didn't realise he was in the field, and he took a while to realise it was her, but it was a lovely moment! I have it on video but it's taking forever to upload.

Went down 2 hours later and caught her within 5mins once I had taken Goss out the field so she couldn't hide behind him (it was like trying to catch someone when they are on the other side of a table, she was always on whatever side I wasn't!!).

1 hour later went down again, took Goss straight out and caught her within a minute. So proud. They have come in for the night but will be out from tomorrow onwards for the rest of the winter.

So just a few pics to keep you all going - seriously floofy little ponies!!