Gossip and Oya

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

thepennywhistle

Re: Gossip and Oya

Post by thepennywhistle »

Eat, eat, grow...eat, eat, grow...doing just what little baby ponies should be doing.
Glad to hear that all went smoothly today. They are coming along so very well for you.
What I liked the very most was the photo where whichever one (I can't tell, sorry) is
looking directly into the camera lens. The peace and confidence in those eyes is
just beautiful and tells all of your care in their handling and training.

Congrats to you all, and thank you for sharing :)
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I am enjoying reading these updates. good work on the training so far.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

TPW, that would be Gossip!! It is still a rare privilege to get eye contact like that from Oya. They are such beautiful creatures I am so glad they live with me and I get to see them every day.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Progress has slowed down a bit now they are in the field, especially with the weather being stupid, but they are tootling along fairly well. Gossip has learned not to bite and also not to stomp his front legs or kick his back legs when I touch them, all in 2 days with a clicker (3 sessions). Oya seems to be forward and backward constantly, sometimes she is friendly and other times I get a foul face and a bum turned to me!!

Had a good day today, couldn't see them during daylight due to work, so I went down in the dark with a handful of carrots and clicker. Both ponies came over, so I asked them both to stand while I stroked their necks at the same time, and they got a click when they did. Oya just had to stand while I touched her, Gossip had to stand and not nibble, but it worked really well!! Quite fun working them both simultaneously with the same clicker, a new one on me!!!

Before you all complain, here's a photo top-up :lol:

Nettle

Post by Nettle »

MMMMMM lovely :D thank you. I can smell warm pony smell through the photos.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
bendog

Post by bendog »

OOOH Pony smell is lovely

Gorgeous ponies, and looks like they have a lovely big field!
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

What lovely coats, shiny even though they've got their winter fur, healthy babies you have there :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Thanks guys! I agree, warm pony is one of the best smells in the world, right now they have gone back to soggy pony, which isn't quite as nice and certainly isn't as good for cuddles!!

I am actually quite impressed with their coats myself, Gossip has been groomed 3 times in as many weeks, and Oya hasn't been touched by a brush since I got her, so it's not down to my grooming!! Must have really good hay :lol: - or otherwise it is proof that fell ponies can live well on winter grass and thin air!!
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Little update on the babies for you! I have been away over the festive season, and sadly the weather didn't cooperate so they had to spend most of it inside :( I turned them out again when I got back and they are much happier for it. They haven't grown too much since I've been away,but have both got a little more "solid" I think.

Today I brought them in one at a time to handle them, and leave one in the field to start to separate them. Surprisingly Oya was better at being left than Gossip, she settled fairly quickly but he was quite sweaty when I got back with Oya, and had been much more vocal. Once they were out of sight and hearing they both behaved very nicely. I have been using a webbing strap wrapped around Oya's bum to help teach her to lead - Goss will respond to gentle tugs on the headcollar, but Oya is more likely to go up on her back legs if you push her, but does really well with the strap using pressure and release.

Both had a good groom except for the wet muddy bits, and both stood beautifully even when brushing their legs. They let me pick out all four feet and are starting to get the hang of balancing and not needing to kick out with their back feet. Especially proud of Gossip for this, he was getting worse and worse but 2 days with the clicker taught him to stand still, which he has remembered in the 2 weeks I was away, and he tried really hard to relax with his back feet being handled and lifted.

I have a couple of photos uploading, mainly them eating from their new hay box that my dad made to stop them wasting hay and keep it off the ground. Will add them later :D
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Thought it was time for another update, we had a fab day today!! Ponies are coming in 2-3 days a week (my days off so I have as much time as they need that day and I don't need to rush them for any reason) and have been mainly groomed and walked round the block, but due to the rain grooming today was limited.

So...

Gossi had his feet done (did really well with this, no kicking out at all today!), used the clicker to reinforce him letting me handle his not-quite-manly-yet danglies (in preparation for castrating in a couple of months) and then I got out my new fluorescent exercise sheet (for those who don't know, this is like a rug but without the front part, it is designed to go under a saddle). The idea of this is for them to wear it coming in and out from the field, they are not very visible on the road and even when I wear a vest I can easily be hidden if seen from the wrong angle.

I started off placing it gently and very folded up onto his back, and used the clicker when he stood still. Too easy. Unfolded it, gently throw it over his back. Too easy. Untied him (in a big stable), but he still stood still. So I unfolded it completely and threw it over him, and he still stood like a rock!! Did this a few times, had it covering from his ears to his bum, but he never moved his little feet. So proud.

Oya had her feet done, no probs. Then I used the clicker to work on her stepping forward - she has a habit of hanging off her rope when tied up which I am trying to discourage. She did well. I got my weigh tape out and introduced her to that, including wrapping it round her tummy (forgot to do Gossip!), and she was fine. So I went for the big guns and got the sheet out again. She wasn't quite as steady, but still stood very nicely, just twitched the first few times, but even she was standing and having it thrown over her whole body ears to tail after only 5 mins or so.

They are both walking nicely in hand now, and Gossip is responding very well to his verbal commands too.

Really pleased with them both, haven't touched them for a week due to work and weather, but they never forget anything.

Here's the photo of them with their feeder, and a couple of frosty ones from the other morning :D

Erica

Post by Erica »

Wow, sounds like you're doing a great job with them! :)

They are so fuzzy! I bet they're fun to groom. ;)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

Wow! You know they are well insulated from the cold when frost forms on their backs. :shock:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Yep, I love going down at night in the frost to see them, cos they glow in the dark!! They have frost all the way from the tips of their little ears, but I never manage to get up early enough to photograph that before it melts in the early morning sun.
Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »

Ok, be prepared for a photo overload!! The last few days have brought huge changes in my little babies. Gossip is growing by the day, is a wonderful chilled out character who just wants cuddles, but food is better. He gets grumpy when hungry, but then is lovely again once his tummy is full!! He is just turning into a proper little man, so going to have to watch him carefully and he will be getting snipped in the next few months.

Oya has been transformed by a fairy overnight :lol: Last week I decided that summer would be a good target for being able to catch her without having to catch Goss first and bring him in. 3 days ago she just decided that being caught was absolutely fine, and stood in the middle of the field stock still while I caught her!! The previous day I had had to take Gossip out and negotiate with her, and still couldn't touch her neck when she was loose. BUt literally overnight she changed. Now I can catch her whenever, first or second, no worries. She has also decided that cuddles are in fact better than food, and when I go down to feed them she has a couple of mouthfuls and then follows me back to the gate where I am forced (!) to stand and cuddle and scratch her for ages before I can tear myself away. She is just beautiful, such a beautiful soul that I have finally been given access to.

1 week ago they both had a sheet over them for the first time - fluorescent for when walking to and from the field on the road - and acted as if they had always had rugs thrown over them! They also had a surcingle (like a belt) to hold it in place, no worries. Photographic evidence below is from the second time they had them on, as you can see they look really worried by it all - not!!!

Horace's Mum

Post by Horace's Mum »