horrible dog trainer

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Suzette

Re: horrible dog trainer

Post by Suzette »

It is always my policy to reach out to people with a good attitude and a light approach by not attempting to beat them over the head with all the benefits of positive training. But I have to disagree on one point - this man isn't simply uninformed, he's abusive. HUGE difference. He absolutely does need educated and it should be done in the spirit of helping him as a trainer and all the future dogs that will be in his care. But I will not excuse him for the way he treats this dog because he is uninformed.
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Suzette wrote:this man isn't simply uninformed, he's abusive.
you know that for a fact...yet? Absofreakinlutely what he is doing is abusive. BUT, unless you or someone we know/trust has actually engaged him or has knowledge otherwise you sure, absolutely sure the root isn't just being uninformed and not up to date?

Generally most people do not change their beliefs, thoughts, attitudes at the drop of a hat, they need time to absorb new ideas and make changes in them self. I just think we would be more effective when making "first contact" (so to speak) if we give a little benefit of the doubt, and try an friendly educational approach first rather than diving in with both "fists swinging".

I think we under estimate how deeply intrenched the misinformation and flat out incorrect information regarding dogs and wolf behavior is. Yes, there are some out there that no matter what will choose the abusive path, save your anger and outrage for those people. the one's who we know have been exposed to correct, up to date info and still choose to ignore it.

but unless we know someone is "that person", lets try and bite our tongues and reserve judgement and try and educate them and help them see their methods are wrong and out of date.

better to get them to change than drive them away because "first contact" was an "angry crazy person passing judgment" before getting to know "me and my dog".

the more you learn and are able to read the dogs signals the harder this becomes, I get that, but if we want to change things we must sometimes keep our real feelings inside while educating someone to the better way.
CoolDog

Post by CoolDog »

That's disturbing! :evil:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

That is so true, jacksdad. I'm of the opinion that the man thought his stroking was soothing the dog, and that it was calm, when in fact sheer experience and study tells me differently - but I have been lucky enough to have that experience and study. And I'll be the first to say that a lot of the research papers and books I have studied were rubbish, and a lot of the trainers whose seminars and demos I have attended were alarmingly bad. But I'd never have known that if I had believed everything.

If we could only reach more trainers..... :?
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

ok, not easy to respond in 500 characters or less. but here is what I posted.
Please do not use this video if you have a dog with aggression issues. The idea of humans needing to be “alpha” is outdated and not based in fact. Dogs do not treat each other this way, nor should we. Anyone interested in modern, science based information should check out two books. Both available off Amazon.com, and both written by PhD’s who are professional Ethologists. Dog Sense by Dr. John Bradshaw and Feisty Fido by Dr. Patricia McConnell. Dr. McConnell specializes in dog aggression
I chose to not focus on what he was doing, but the "authority" he is basing it on. If he is saying this is the technique used by Ethologists, then lets show some real ethologists that disagree.
Analia

Post by Analia »

Excelent response. Thank you so much