Dog park etiquette question

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Re: Dog park etiquette question

Post by ladybug1802 »

From what I understand, dog parks in the US are just large fenced in areas where dogs are allowed off lead. I 'think' that it is because dogs have to be kept on lead in most other places so they have formalised places people can go to let dogs off lead.

This is how I understand it anyway....please correct me if I am wrong tho peeps!
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Nettle wrote:Mouth over back can have two main meanings, and each is covered by a human word that I'd better not use on here :wink:

It says Would you like to get up close and personal with me or **** you Sunshine.

When a dog tests a b itch for receptivity, he starts with his head over her back, then a paw over, then both paws, then goes for it. You'll appreciate that this is more than somewhat insulting if done with another adult male dog. With puppies, it's all part of practising adult behaviour and so not insulting at all.

Dylan growling is saying Bring it on Big Boy, think yer 'ard do yer?

I don't know why the entire boys don't have a go back. Maybe they see him as a stoopid kid. Mine would leave him in no doubt that he had just committed a social solecism. Maybe he picks introverted dogs to try it on.

Ahhhhh! Didn't know that.

What I did notice was when Odin met any dog on a lead, so often they would twist leads and be drawn together and end up having a swearing match. Whenever it happened I would release my lead immediately so they weren't pulled together, but I didn't understand the meaning before. I thought it was simply just being too close inside each other's space. With Odin's head typically being higher, I can see it being misinterpreted too.

Thanks Nettle.
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

ladybug1802 wrote:From what I understand, dog parks in the US are just large fenced in areas where dogs are allowed off lead. I 'think' that it is because dogs have to be kept on lead in most other places so they have formalised places people can go to let dogs off lead.

This is how I understand it anyway....please correct me if I am wrong tho peeps!

Yep, thats about right! The park we frequent also has 2 large swimming pools. Luckily it's only a mile from home...we take the girls every day.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

can't speak for the entire US, but yes in my area "dog parks" are fenced in enclosed spaces. some rather large, some on the small side. we have almost no informal off leash public areas where I live. there are a few places the locals in mass ignore the leash law and the police ignore the locals ignoring the law. but those are few and far between.