Dog park etiquette question

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Re: Dog park etiquette question

Post by ladybug1802 »

So why would Dylan (neutered) be the one who is rude to male entire dogs, and the one to seemingly aggravate things? I mean sure I maybe missing something from the entire dog and his behaviour, but usually it has been the entire dog saying hello in a 'nromal' manner, Dylan sniffs slowly and then he is the one to get growly, sometimes put his mouth over the other dogs back and just sound growly and aggressive....and altho I know he wont do anything and will die down soon enough I can see the other owner wont see it this way!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Eagerly awaits nettles input, but if I had to guess. low confidence due to a combination of who Dylan is and being neutered. He maybe trying to the send the message "I am tough, don't mess with me", but really doesn't feel "tough" and is hoping the bluff is accepted and if there is any doubt that it has been, takes it up to a notch..kind of "I mean it, really I am tough, don't believe me *grrrr* hows that"....

Just a guess.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Thats what I kind of thought as well Jacksdad....thank you! :D
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Putting head over back or neck is very very VERY rude. Most entire males would have a go at him for that. Quite a few b itches would too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

I know that is rude...that is what I was saying. But I didnt say entire males had a go at him....they dont. My point was that it is Dylan that gets growly etc when he meets entire males.....not with other dogs. My question was WHY he behaves like this with ONLY male entire dogs.....but I think Jacksdad made sense.

And also, people say mouth over the back is 'rude'...but what does it actually MEAN when they do it? What are they trying to say to the other dog?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Mouth over back can have two main meanings, and each is covered by a human word that I'd better not use on here :wink:

It says Would you like to get up close and personal with me or **** you Sunshine.

When a dog tests a b itch for receptivity, he starts with his head over her back, then a paw over, then both paws, then goes for it. You'll appreciate that this is more than somewhat insulting if done with another adult male dog. With puppies, it's all part of practising adult behaviour and so not insulting at all.

Dylan growling is saying Bring it on Big Boy, think yer 'ard do yer?

I don't know why the entire boys don't have a go back. Maybe they see him as a stoopid kid. Mine would leave him in no doubt that he had just committed a social solecism. Maybe he picks introverted dogs to try it on.

MPbandmom

Post by MPbandmom »

The head over the back thing is one of the reasons Sky doesn't go to the dog park. She will not tolerate it being done to her for one second. I have about enough time to think, "uh oh that dog shouldn't have done that," and that dog is flattened on the ground getting a good telling off by Sky.

The other reason she doesn't go to the dog park is that she reacts the same way when another dog snatches a flying ball that she had her eye on. :roll:
Grammy to Sky and Sirius, who came to live with me, stole my heart, and changed my life forever as I took over their care and learned how to be a dog owner.
nikkitoni

Post by nikkitoni »

The problem with many dog parks isn't so much the dogs as it is the owners. I'm a huge advocate of dog parks because I love the idea behind them. Unfortunately, what a dog park should be and what it actually is are sometimes two very separate things. I've had a couple of run-ins at the dog park and the last one was enough to keep me away for good. It's such a shame though, because I really do enjoy being around the other dogs. And my fur-kids love them too. But I just felt that it was becoming too dangerous to take them there, as many dog owners who were less than attentive to their dogs were causing big issues for everyone else.

Here's a blog I wrote about a recent experience I had.

http://coronadogtrainer.com/?p=92
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ah I see Nettle! So Dylan is indeed being a little ***! Is there any way I can change this.....or just carry on as I am by not letting him run over of his own accord to other dogs?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I would do the same as if you had a child going through a socially awkward stage - let him approach under control, and if the other dog seems amenable and the owner says it's okay, let them do the slidy sideways greet, but the second he gets That Look that precedes the head over back, remove him with speed but no verbals by getting between them and blocking him back, lifting him off if necessary. Then take him right away from the other dog as if in a time-out and put him in a Sit or a Down.

The message is: get laddish and you can't meet your mates at the pub. Doing this silently removes the potential reward of getting your excitement levels up (hey, I really got Ma going there).

With good luck and a following wind, he should grow out of it roughly at the same pace as you making sure he realises you do not accept that behaviour. :)

jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

nikkitoni wrote:The problem with many dog parks isn't so much the dogs as it is the owners.
true the human factor has a lot to do with "the problem with dog parks", but there is still the fact that the typical dog park is an enclosed space with possibly lots of other dogs and no way to get way. If that is an issue for a dog, then problem isn't the humans, it simply means that particular dog and dog parks are not a good match.

And that is just one possible example of how an individual dog and dog parks might not be a good environment that has nothing to do with the human factor. I am sure there are others too. Sometimes dog parks and a particular dog just aren't a good match up, but it isn't the end of the world.
minkee

Post by minkee »

This is not so much an etiquette question, but I thought I'd drop it in here rather than start a new thread just for this:

Once a week I walk a friend's dog for her. The dog is pretty timid, and her default reaction when a strange dog comes near is to run away to the gate (I walk her in a small, fully enclosed cricket field). I'm in 2 minds as to whether I should try and change this behaviour when she's with me. On one hand it's a pretty smart move - "Remove self from danger! Mom can pick me up on her way out!", but on the other hand it also means she's basically running away from me. My friend says that if she's with her, then she will jump up into the basket of her walking wheely doohicky (I can't think what they're called, sorry!)

I thought perhaps I could teach her a 'jump up' so she can come to me and jump into my arms, but I know that just makes some dogs more interested. Also training her is a little tricky as I usually only see her with Scout. Sometimes I could take my partner along though so he can entertain Scout and I can have some 1 to 1 time with Sapphire.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Nettle wrote:I would do the same as if you had a child going through a socially awkward stage - let him approach under control, and if the other dog seems amenable and the owner says it's okay, let them do the slidy sideways greet, but the second he gets That Look that precedes the head over back, remove him with speed but no verbals by getting between them and blocking him back, lifting him off if necessary. Then take him right away from the other dog as if in a time-out and put him in a Sit or a Down.

The message is: get laddish and you can't meet your mates at the pub. Doing this silently removes the potential reward of getting your excitement levels up (hey, I really got Ma going there).

With good luck and a following wind, he should grow out of it roughly at the same pace as you making sure he realises you do not accept that behaviour. :)
Thanks Nettle! Its good to know a plan of action as up until now, when he has met an entire dog, I havent known when or how to intervene and end up definitely using my voice and going to get him! I know will be armed with a much better way of dealing with it!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

boy was Ladybug's question timely and THANK YOU for answering it Nettle. just had a young GSD pull that with Jack. really helped to have some clue what was going on and what to look for.
Secret Someone

Post by Secret Someone »

When you talk about dog parks...

Do you mean commons or fields that are popular dog walking places where dogs are usually off-lead, or something more formal than that?