Explaing Positive Reinforcement rethinking key "sound bites"

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wvvdiup1

Re: Explaing Positive Reinforcement rethinking key "sound bites"

Post by wvvdiup1 »

Jacksdad, I was just wondering if you've came up with another idea or "sound bites" yet? :?:
"Common sense is instinct. Enough of it is genius." -author unknown
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

there are some really good suggestions in this thread and it has served it's purpose. which was just to get us to think a bit more about how we phase things for/to people who are new to Positive Reinforcement.
Fundog

Post by Fundog »

Last week I met some people walking their newly acquired rescue. They told me he had some "issues" with other dogs, and that to "solve" his rudeness (barking, growling, running at the fence, etc.) to their neighbor's dog, the lady went out and dumped a bucket of ice cold water on him. :roll: I responded, "You know, there are more positive ways of helping a dog with fear aggression." They were not too keen on hearing more, stating that the water "worked," and that the neighbor's dog is his "best bud" now. :roll: They tactfully excused themselves and went on their way when I mentioned that I do not believe in using aversives on my dogs. Like we've said before.... "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
If an opportunity comes to you in life, say yes first, even if you don't know how to do it.