not eating??

Get to know other Positively members here.

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

sar-83

not eating??

Post by sar-83 »

I have a 3 yr old English Springer. We feed him Taste of the Wild, 1c in the AM and 1c in the PM. In the last week he has not been eating his AM meal and then devours his PM meal.. When he doesnt eat it within a half hr. we put the food up. We have limited treats so he would eat his AM meal. Well this morning he has not touched anything again, we even gave him a biscuit and he wont even touch it...usually he LOVES his biscuits... His poops have been normal, very solid and big. He has thrown up a couple of times in the last week...He does not seem to be in pain. Jumps around and plays the same way..Does seem tired more then normal...Just wondering if I need to be considered and get him into the vet asap...Just really worried about him as he is my baby...but don't want the vet bill if I can help it...He does go in for his shots this month. Wondering if I can wait till then or get him there asap.THANK YOU
Labsrule

Re: not eating??

Post by Labsrule »

Hi, I would most definately get a Vet appointment for him as he seems to be behaving out of character. If he normally eats well and now does not and also seems tired when he is normally very active, he needs to see a Vet. Better to act quickly and maybe save yourself a bigger Vet bill as if you wait and he becomes iller you will have a larger bill. Hope he will be fine, good luck.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I'll second the vet check if this is out of character for him. The fact that he's been sick a few times while refusing a meal he usually eats would definitely have me to the vets. Better safe than sorry.

Some dogs don't seem to do breakfast though, my collie would have gone to one meal a day if we hadn't got a puppy, then he didn't want to lose out so started eating his breakfast. The one I have now has refused all food before midday since the day I got him. It's like owner like dog in that we both don't do mornings :lol:
thepennywhistle

Post by thepennywhistle »

Sarah, as indelicate as this sounds, WHAT has he been throwing up? Is he just going through the motions,
or seriously tossing a meal, or something in between? Is he bringing up bile or something foamy?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Don't get him vaccinated until he is better. Only dogs in tiptop health should be vaccinated.

I agree it is useful to know what he is vomiting, and also have you checked his teeth are okay? Is he still vomiting? I'd be taking him for a vet check to see if he has a partial blockage or else an infection.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS